Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield Trim Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Shredhead
I need to pull mine in prep for painting. I've read everything I can and watched some videos, but I'm still confused regarding removing the trim. Other than cutting through any sealant/gunk, what do you need to do to free the trim from the clips (assuming they're still there)? Use a tool like Chris Foley's to push the trim off the clip?
914Mels
A plastic trim tool works well, just run it under the trim and twist slightly at the clips. They will probably break so be prepared to pull the glass to replace them. If you find the trim glued down some fishing line can be used to "saw" thru the gunk.
iankarr
If the glass is coming out (and why wouldn't it for a repaint wink.gif, the easiest way to remove the trim is to "chop" the clips using a very thin putty knife between the trim clip and the channel, directly over the pin which holds the clip to the body. A quick hit with a hammer and the plastic pin holding the clip breaks. Then you can lift the trim off as a single piece- clips and all. Remove the broken clips on the bench. Of course, you'll need to replace with new trim clips after paint and before the glass goes back in.

PanelBilly
They’re going to break. Try not to bend up the trim.
sportlicherFahrer
*edit* What Ian said. smash.gif
jims914
Make sure to use Porsche clips only or you will be sorry.
rick 918-S
I just slide a razor blade between the frame & the trim and cut the plastic clip. The trim is way to fragile to try to unhook the clips. Cut the clips and same the trim from bending.
Shredhead
QUOTE(jims914 @ Feb 7 2022, 07:23 PM) *

Make sure to use Porsche clips only or you will be sorry.

Such as what 914Rubber sells?
Shredhead
QUOTE(iankarr @ Feb 7 2022, 04:54 PM) *

If the glass is coming out (and why wouldn't it for a repaint wink.gif, the easiest way to remove the trim is to "chop" the clips using a very thin putty knife between the trim clip and the channel, directly over the pin which holds the clip to the body. A quick hit with a hammer and the plastic pin holding the clip breaks. Then you can lift the trim off as a single piece- clips and all. Remove the broken clips on the bench. Of course, you'll need to replace with new trim clips after paint and before the glass goes back in.

Thanks Ian, and thanks for the video on how to reinstall it!
double-a
to offer a counterpoint, i removed my windshield trim last night in preparation for paint, and was able to complete the job without wrecking any trim or breaking a single clip.

since i'm not replacing the glass, keeping the clips intact and undamaged was imperative. i used a plastic spudger and a 1.5" putty knife, and took it real slow. i started at the corner clips, easing them off carefully because they're made of butter. then i moved to the larger pieces, found where the trim-to-clip grip wasn't as strong, and worked out from there. if you need to do the job without damaging anything, it can be done. just be gentle and don't rush it.

no matter how it goes for you, be excited about the fact that you can thoroughly clean the channel around the windshield. i was stunned by how much dirt, leaves, and other rust-attracting gunk had collected in the 15 years since i last had that trim off. barf.gif

if you're planning to r&r the windshield, do it right by cutting the old clips and using fresh ones, as others have recommended. either way, enjoy. working on these cars is a good time (most of the time). beer.gif
Shredhead
QUOTE(double-a @ Feb 8 2022, 12:14 PM) *

to offer a counterpoint, i removed my windshield trim last night in preparation for paint, and was able to complete the job without wrecking any trim or breaking a single clip.

since i'm not replacing the glass, keeping the clips intact and undamaged was imperative. i used a plastic spudger and a 1.5" putty knife, and took it real slow. i started at the corner clips, easing them off carefully because they're made of butter. then i moved to the larger pieces, found where the trim-to-clip grip wasn't as strong, and worked out from there. if you need to do the job without damaging anything, it can be done. just be gentle and don't rush it.

no matter how it goes for you, be excited about the fact that you can thoroughly clean the channel around the windshield. i was stunned by how much dirt, leaves, and other rust-attracting gunk had collected in the 15 years since i last had that trim off. barf.gif

if you're planning to r&r the windshield, do it right by cutting the old clips and using fresh ones, as others have recommended. either way, enjoy. working on these cars is a good time (most of the time). beer.gif

Thanks. I do plan on re-using the windshield. I think some of not all of the clips may be missing already, but I'll find out soon.
jims914
QUOTE(Shredhead @ Feb 10 2022, 06:18 AM) *

QUOTE(double-a @ Feb 8 2022, 12:14 PM) *

Thanks. I do plan on re-using the windshield. I think some of not all of the clips may be missing already, but I'll find out soon.

Again use the PORSCHE clips. I had 10 out of 19 brake from 914R.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.