Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to drill holes for passenger side door mirror
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim dorociak
guys I can see from inside the door where the holes go, but am looking for the proper way to drill down from the topside and get these holes right the first time.

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks! Jim
davep
Use a center point tool with hammer to create a little dent from the inside of the nut. Drill an undersize hole then enlarge as needed.
mepstein
If you want to go from the outside in, the dimensions are the same as the driver side.
windforfun
QUOTE(davep @ Feb 6 2022, 04:50 PM) *

Use a center point tool with hammer to create a little dent from the inside of the nut. Drill an undersize hole then enlarge as needed.

Reverse the dent with the CPT first so your drill bit doesn't wander off course.
jim dorociak
when you guys are talking about center punch going up, are you removing the door glass? Jim
Shivers
QUOTE(jim dorociak @ Feb 6 2022, 05:35 PM) *

when you guys are talking about center punch going up, are you removing the door glass? Jim

I just rolled the glass up and used a long punch. But like said already, if you are not comfortable with that, just measure from the drivers door and drill from the outside. Careful when drilling not to drill off the threads
jim dorociak
Thank you to all who replied. I will report back when holes are drilled. Jim
vitamin914
Here is a how to article from Pelican Parts.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ight_mirror.htm
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 6 2022, 06:07 PM) *

If you want to go from the outside in, the dimensions are the same as the driver side.

This was the easy way for me , I just borrowed an ice pick from Rhodguy
Cairo94507
I would suggest applying some tape to the exterior painted area where the mirror goes to protect the paint while you are drilling. Then remember to touch up the bare metal hole edges with some paint before you install the mirror.
bkrantz
Rather than drill "fulll size" and risk the threads in the captive nuts, I made small pilot holes and then used a grinding bit in a Dremel to gradually enlarge the holes from the outside.
ClayPerrine
I just recently did this on the factory six. I had the correct early outside mirror, and both Betty and I like having a right hand mirror on the car. So I used a transfer punch from the inside to mark the center of the holes. Then I used the same punch to push the dimples back down. I used a "C" Drill bit to make the holes. You can use a 1/4 inch drill bit if you don't have a "C", but it will be a little bit bigger. I then chased the threads in the nut plate with a 6x1.0 tap, as they had never been used before.

Make sure to paint the holes before mounting the mirror. Gotta keep the tinworm at bay.

Good Luck!
jim dorociak
Thanks everyone for the options on how to do this. I managed to punch from inside up the hole right by the window channel, then measured over to the front hole and drilled down. Even being slightly off I did not drill into the plate and then chased the threads down from the top side. It is done - great! - another small project off my list. Jim Dorociak

on to the rebuild of the 308 calipers and the 911 steering column and ignition switch - pretty sure these projects are more difficult. Still thinking of metal flares, but have not made my mind up yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.