Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering column/rack refurb questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mgarrison
Hello,

I know opinions are like butts; everybody has at least one...but, I'm a bit confused about what to replace on my steering column & rack before reinstallation.

Turbo tie rod upgrade - seems obvious.
Rubber hockey puck replacement - seems obvious.

I see some upper/lower bearings for the steering column listed on some vendors sites. But some only list one bearing, while others list multiple.

Is there a consensus/recommendation on what should/is wise to replace while the whole thing is out?

Thanks!
Cairo94507
You have nailed it; and do both bearings for good measure. beerchug.gif
mgarrison
Just found this thread via a Google search:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=350223

Looks like what I was after...I hope!
mgarrison
So, my 914 is a '74 with an 11/73 build date. Here's the bearings, etc. from my column laid out in their basic location:
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
You have the good upper bearing ring. Source the VW version not the stupid Porsche price. Added screen shot.
mgarrison
Thanks - that's exactly what I did pray.gif
76-914
I'm glad you brought this up. It is right around the corner for my current resto of the 76. beerchug.gif
mgarrison
So....Can someone share the "secret sauce", or voodoo, or just plain magic to get the upper column bearing over the corrugated metal sleeve around the steering shaft?

I destroyed the brand new bearing I had ordered trying to get it on there far enough for the snap ring to slot in place headbang.gif Not a lot to go off of in the manual confused24.gif
Click to view attachment

Just wasted another $43 to get another one shipped out to me...shipping seems to be my kryptonite! hissyfit.gif
914Sixer
Get a piece of plastic pipe to fit outer diameter of bearing. Push bearing in with it.
mgarrison
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 18 2022, 07:41 PM) *

Get a piece of plastic pipe to fit outer diameter of bearing. Push bearing in with it.

Actually, it seemed like fitting over the corrugated metal piece in the center was the issue - seemed crazy tight.
mgarrison
On a side note, does anyone know what this bearing fits/is for? I thought it was the lower column bearing, but it's too large of a diameter. Unless it fits a 911/914-6 column...? RR called it "steering shaft support bearing".
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Here's the numbers on it, not that my tired old eyes can really read them!
Click to view attachment
GeorgeKopf
QUOTE(mgarrison @ Mar 18 2022, 09:29 PM) *

So....Can someone share the "secret sauce", or voodoo, or just plain magic to get the upper column bearing over the corrugated metal sleeve around the steering shaft?

I destroyed the brand new bearing I had ordered trying to get it on there far enough for the snap ring to slot in place headbang.gif Not a lot to go off of in the manual confused24.gif
Click to view attachment

Just wasted another $43 to get another one shipped out to me...shipping seems to be my kryptonite! hissyfit.gif

@mgarrison
Put the whole steering shaft and the sleeve in the freezer. Warm the bearing in the oven.

Then use some assembly grease and a pvc pipe to press it on.

Click to view attachment
Rob-O
I think you remove the metal sleeve. If I remember correctly, that metal sleeve was an add-on part that was used when the inner plastic piece of the upper bearing failed (and they all failed). That metal sleeve took up the slop and made the steering wheel tight in the housing to help prevent the dreaded 914 steering wheel shake.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.