Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 cylinder engine removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dobbsy
I have looked to see if this has been posted before but could not find a thread.

What is the best way to remove the engine and gearbox, is there a cradle like the one for the 4 cylinder.

Should I remove the heat exchangers first or can I use them for support.
mb911
QUOTE(Dobbsy @ Feb 10 2022, 01:02 PM) *

I have looked to see if this has been posted before but could not find a thread.

What is the best way to remove the engine and gearbox, is there a cradle like the one for the 4 cylinder.

Should I remove the heat exchangers first or can I use them for support.

Heat exchangers are a perfect way to support the removal. I like to use either a piece of plywood on a jack or use a lift to raise the body above the engine while the engine is supported on blocks of wood.
mepstein
I like using a lift table. I unbolt the handle and lay it on the ground. It does require the car to be slightly higher but it makes life easy. The harbor freight 1000lb table is perfect.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dobbsy @ Feb 10 2022, 01:02 PM) *
is there a cradle like the one for the 4 cylinder

Not pretty, but functional ...
biggrin.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

Superhawk996
Shame Tangerine Racing doesn't offer a nice plate for /6. Maybe SirAndy willl offer a GB on the wood version. laugh.gif
Tdskip
Harbor Freight lifting table makes it easy - just get the heavy duty one.
mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Feb 10 2022, 05:48 PM) *

Harbor Freight lifting table makes it easy - just get the heavy duty one.

It’s useful for so many things. Even a movable work table. They went up about $100 in the last year but still worth it.
johnhora
I agree with the group that the Harbor Freight heavy duty lifting table makes it easy
I also have a plate that I used originally for 911s..fits right under the engine and those holes are at the sump plate....works fine for 914 too....and then as mentioned the piece of plywood on a jack works fine especially if the HE's are on it as they make a nice flat bed...
Mark I also have modified my lift table so the arm folds to the outside/back so it doesn't get in the way and can be used for pulling.

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
We have 3 of the lift tables. Install the handle backwards from the instructions.
infraredcalvin
Factory tools, not cheap!

Click to view attachment
targa72e
I use 3 low profile jacks. Works for both 911 and 914. One goes at the balance point at engine/transmission and the other two to balance fan end of the engine using the headers/heat exchangers. This allows me to work the height front to back independently. I have started installing the engine without all the engine tins as the side metal is really tight between the control arm bolts. Mangled some tins really good first time I tried to install 6cyl in 914.

john
ClayPerrine
I just set the motor and trans on jackstands, and lift the car up.

But I have a 2 post lift.
Dion
I took the left side tin off. A little more wiggle room around the suspension ears.
9146C
As already mentioned, with the HE's installed, it's a piece of cake.

I use 2-8's across a motorcycle lift. I've done this several times. Of late, once the motor is resting on the lift, I can jack up the car to get the clearance I need (not having a two post lift as some others). smile.gif
brant
I prefer the lift
I have a wheeled platform for pulling the motor with jackstands

But prefer the lift
I reinforced this box. And added casters….

Lift the car
Lower the car onto the box
Pull 4 bolts and lift the chassis off the drivetrain
Roll drivetrain anywhere you decide

zoomCat
Does anybody have any experience using a QuickJack to drop a six?
mlindner
Dobbsy, I built a engine cradle to support engine while sending to a shop( bolts to exhaust studs and sit on case) but also worked great for the engine install. I have a scissor lift so I built a sturdy box with caster to support engine and trans, just rolled up under car and lowered lift and bolt up. Best, MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Dobbsy
Thanks for all the replies and photos,
I will make cradle at the weekend. I have already raised the car up on blocks and have the use of a fork lift, this will allow me to safely lower the engine / gearbox onto a trolley.
rgalla9146

What a bunch of sissies ! Way too fussy.
Just back up over a couple old tires.
East peasy! smile.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 11 2022, 06:00 PM) *

What a bunch of sissies ! Way too fussy.
Just back up over a couple old tires.
East peasy! smile.gif

I hope those are N-spec tires. biggrin.gif
brant
A wooden box with casters can come in handy for lots of projects

My motor box currently:
mlindner
brant, I like your shop, very cool.
sixaddict
I have used this many times……makes it a one man job although having a. Spotter helps. She hates being “yelled” at though dry.gif quote name='johnhora' date='Feb 10 2022, 03:41 PM' post='2980931']
I agree with the group that the Harbor Freight heavy duty lifting table makes it easy
I also have a plate that I used originally for 911s..fits right under the engine and those holes are at the sump plate....works fine for 914 too....and then as mentioned the piece of plywood on a jack works fine especially if the HE's are on it as they make a nice flat bed...
Mark I also have modified my lift table so the arm folds to the outside/back so it doesn't get in the way and can be used for pulling.

Click to view attachment
[/quote]
dry.gif
mepstein
I had modified my lift table arms once before but then had to put it in my car. It’s just 4 bolts so I will switch it back to 914 position.
It’s too bad the lift tables jumped up in price. The shop where I used to work has six of them. Say what you will about HF but I don’t think any of them ever had an issue and they’ve been in use for years.
I’ve used mine a lot. Including moving engines and heavy items in and out of cars and pickups, a portable work table and a step stool platform. I also will roll it under a car that I’m working on in addition to jack stands.
brant
QUOTE(mlindner @ Feb 13 2022, 09:57 AM) *

brant, I like your shop, very cool.

Thank you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.