Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 930 exhaust lower valve covers on a "6" conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschetub
Hi all,keen to see how you guys clearanced the fins to make fitting/ removal possible with these covers.
The set I have I bought used for a great price,once received from seller I noted 1 cover had about half the fins milled down about 5mm....could they have come from a "6" conversion ?...reason for asking is I believe in a 911 application they need no milling down confused24.gif .
I don't have access to the car @ present so how do I tell left from right ?,trying to work out which one ?,have issues with my mag ones and frankly getting pissed off with oil leaks which are mainly it this area.
TIA cheers,pics would be nice as I like them and they would help biggrin.gif .
wndsrfr
QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 12 2022, 03:14 PM) *

Hi all,keen to see how you guys clearanced the fins to make fitting/ removal possible with these covers.
The set I have I bought used for a great price,once received from seller I noted 1 cover had about half the fins milled down about 5mm....could they have come from a "6" conversion ?...reason for asking is I believe in a 911 application they need no milling down confused24.gif .
I don't have access to the car @ present so how do I tell left from right ?,trying to work out which one ?,have issues with my mag ones and frankly getting pissed off with oil leaks which are mainly it this area.
TIA cheers,pics would be nice as I like them and they would help biggrin.gif .

The left side cover needs to have the fins clearanced on the rear to give space from the suspension mount. Right side one is positioned further forward so no problem. Don't think it's a problem in a 911, just our teeners...another trick is to substitute bolts for studs/nuts on the left lower rear as well...
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Feb 12 2022, 07:22 PM) *

The left side cover needs to have the fins clearanced on the rear to give space from the suspension mount. Right side one is positioned further forward so no problem. Don't think it's a problem in a 911, just our teeners...another trick is to substitute bolts for studs/nuts on the left lower rear as well...

^ This.

PT, if you got that set from a six-cylinder 914 for a six-cylinder 914, you're a step ahead!
porschetub
Thanks Pete and John,John your comments sound right to me,not fussed about pulling studs as in the future it could be an issue after many valve clearance resets,I think they are right milled spacing due to cyl offset on these motors.
Pete the seller of these had no idea what they were worth or what they came off for that reason I didn't ask any questions and I won his auction and payed $100nzd for them biggrin.gif .
More pics and info please TIA.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.