Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VW/Audi/ Porsche Cargo ship blaze
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Van B @ Feb 19 2022, 07:46 PM) *

What I would really like to see are electrical powered vehicles that rely on capacitors and fossil fuel powered generators.
A discharged capacitor poses no risk, and an engine attached to a generator can be tuned for absolute maximum efficiency since it only needs to run at one RPM.
This is the way.

What you've proposed is basically a hybrid arrangment.

The way you know this isn't about the environment is because Hybrids have been completely excluded from the conversation in favor of EV's with no explanation of where the electricity will come from, the supply limitations of the rare earth metals needed to produce them, or the environmental wastelands created by mining them.

Not picking on 930cabman in my comment above. Everyone talks about limited supply of fossil fuel but not a peep about supply limitations on the raw materials for EVs? confused24.gif av-943.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Shivers @ Feb 20 2022, 08:51 AM) *

1981- Rush

My uncle has a country place
No one knows about
He says it used to be a farm
Before the "Motor Law"
And on Sundays I elude the eyes
And hop the turbine freight
To far outside the wire
Where my white-haired uncle waits

Jump to the ground
As the turbo slows to cross the borderline
Run like the wind
As excitement shivers up and down my spine
Down in his barn
My uncle preserved for me an old machine
For 50 odd years
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream

I strip away the old debris
That hides a shining car
A brilliant red Barchetta
From a better vanished time
We fire up the willing engine
Responding with a roar
Tires spitting gravel
I commit my weekly crime

aktion035.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 20 2022, 10:08 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Yes, I know it increases unsprung weight. But do the benefits outweigh (pun intended) the extra unsprung weight?

Any thoughts?

Clay

The benefits don't currently outweigh the negatives to unsprung weight, complexity, and cost. In general, having high mass and inertia rotating motors out on the corners of the vehicle doesn't help handling (except for the torque vectoring aspect) It's the opposite of mass centralization and low polar moment of inertia that the 914 has.

While it may be fun to do low speed tank turns but it's not quite that simple in a production execution given the way lawyers now dominate the industry and our society at large.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzwM8KE2L3I

The functional safety (ISO26262) and potential failure modes of four wheel motors are a hindrance.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/why-rivian-...ure-is-delayed/

There are more elegant ways to achieve torque vectoring than 4 wheel independent motors. In my opinion, this allows for more high speed torque vectoring options and without all the drawbacks of 4 wheel motors. There are a ton of different solutions being explored right now - YouTube if you want more of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DqPmACIeKA
Van B
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 20 2022, 10:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Van B @ Feb 19 2022, 07:46 PM) *

What I would really like to see are electrical powered vehicles that rely on capacitors and fossil fuel powered generators.
A discharged capacitor poses no risk, and an engine attached to a generator can be tuned for absolute maximum efficiency since it only needs to run at one RPM.
This is the way.

What you've proposed is basically a hybrid arrangment.

The way you know this isn't about the environment is because Hybrids have been completely excluded from the conversation in favor of EV's with no explanation of where the electricity will come from, the supply limitations of the rare earth metals needed to produce them, or the environmental wastelands created by mining them.

Not picking on 930cabman in my comment above. Everyone talks about limited supply of fossil fuel but not a peep about supply limitations on the raw materials for EVs? confused24.gif av-943.gif

I was waiting for you to join in!
Hybrid in a literally sense, yes. But the lexicon has defined a hybrid as a fossil fuel driven power train with electric augmentation or backup. I think changing the role of a petrol engine exclusively to a generator i.e. disconnecting it from locomotion, is significant enough to warrant a change in terms. I propose we call them Juice Boxes! Because they make their own juice lol!
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Van B @ Feb 20 2022, 11:28 AM) *

I think changing the role of a petrol engine exclusively to a generator i.e. disconnecting it from locomotion, is significant enough to warrant a change in terms. I propose we call them Juice Boxes! Because they make their own juice lol!

We basically had this with the GM Volt. Initially when Volt was announced, your vision was the concept. In production, there was some minor details in the Volt architecture that kept this from being true in the absolute sense. However, the GM control strategy was primarily to run EV mode and then fire the engine/generator as needed to maintain battery SOC. It was a viable EV solution for long range trips where stopping every 300 miles for "fast charging" wasn't necessary. Yes, in long range trips there was some mechanical connection of the ICE motor to the secondary EV motor so not pure electric generation driving on long haul trips . . . but . . . come on, it worked great as EV on short trips and didn't suffer long range trip anxiety and need for repeated stopping to charge.

https://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2010-12...ing-chevy-volt/

Strangely, the market didn't want them yet, in part, due to cost premium over similar ICE vehicles. The virtue signaling crowd didn't want them because they weren't pure EV's and utilized fossil fuel on long trips. confused24.gif Crazy world.
vitamin914
How 'bout a Stirling engine driving a generator to charge batteries / capacitors? Stirling engines use external heat sources... Since they run on hot air, we can finally have an ethical use for politicians! lol-2.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 20 2022, 11:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Van B @ Feb 20 2022, 11:28 AM) *

I think changing the role of a petrol engine exclusively to a generator i.e. disconnecting it from locomotion, is significant enough to warrant a change in terms. I propose we call them Juice Boxes! Because they make their own juice lol!

We basically had this with the GM Volt. There was some minor details in the Volt architecture that kept this from being true in the absolute sense. However, the GM control strategy was primarily to run EV mode and then fire the engine/generator as needed to maintain battery SOC. It was a viable EV solution for long range trips where stopping every 300 miles for "fast charging" wasn't necessary.

Strangely, the market didn't want them yet. The virtue signaling crowd didn't want them because they weren't pure EV's and utilized fossil fuel to generate the electricity on long trips. confused24.gif Crazy world.

correct about the virtue signalling crowd. its a moral position.
that carbon dioxide continues to be referred to as carbon tells you all you need to know.
my dinner party quip is always - but we are a carbon based life form.
gets blank stares.

the fuel question will end up being an accounting one.
you will purchase carbon dioxide credits in a worse case scenario - at least for our life times.

i would love to have the kind of vehicle van suggests.
and if i had to i'd send my 914 over to texas and have clay perrine install an APU.
just so i could set a particular poodle on fire with the exhaust -- said poodle travels on the end of a leash connected to a woman that walks past my studio door with her fingers plugging her nose while i am warming up the 914. i think she is trying to say she finds the smell of hydrocarbons offensive. i'm going to take up cigar smoking soon to augment the vapours in sympathy.

gentleman, start your APUs.

wonkipop
if anyone is interested.

complete tear down of a tesla motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVge8I6kxPY

its got a spin off oil filter.

Superhawk996
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 20 2022, 12:47 PM) *

that carbon dioxide continues to be referred to as carbon tells you all you need to know.
gets blank stares.

Next time, double down on it, tell them your against dihydrogen oxide and that they should be too lol-2.gif
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(Shivers @ Feb 20 2022, 07:51 AM) *

I really don't know if this movement will allow us to keep our IC cars. sad.gif Pushing auto makers into electric vehicles, I get the feeling that the petrochemical companies will be getting cheap product to make more plastic crap for our homes, sooner than later.

1981- Rush

My uncle has a country place
No one knows about
He says it used to be a farm
Before the "Motor Law"
And on Sundays I elude the eyes
And hop the turbine freight
To far outside the wire
Where my white-haired uncle waits

Jump to the ground
As the turbo slows to cross the borderline
Run like the wind
As excitement shivers up and down my spine
Down in his barn
My uncle preserved for me an old machine
For 50 odd years
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream

I strip away the old debris
That hides a shining car
A brilliant red Barchetta
From a better vanished time
We fire up the willing engine
Responding with a roar
Tires spitting gravel
I commit my weekly crime

My first ever concert in Tallahassee. Red Barchetta and Bytor and the Snow Dog were the best performances that stick in the old brain cells.... that's been a long time ago.
Click to view attachment

Dan
wonkipop
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 20 2022, 12:14 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 20 2022, 12:47 PM) *

gets blank stares.

Next time, double down on it, tell them your against dihydrogen oxide and that they should be too lol-2.gif

av-943.gif

-----

never touch the stuff myself. unless its been cracked in a catalyser at a beer refinery.
NARP74
Many people die every year from dihydrogen oxide poisoning!
Shivers
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Feb 20 2022, 10:50 AM) *

lol-2.gif I live in the desert for just that reason.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Shivers @ Feb 20 2022, 02:12 PM) *

http://dhmo.org/

Van B
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 20 2022, 08:28 PM) *

I LOVE that website!!!!
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ Feb 20 2022, 07:59 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 20 2022, 08:28 PM) *

I LOVE that website!!!!

its good.

---

73-914
QUOTE(vitamin914 @ Feb 20 2022, 12:36 PM) *

How 'bout a Stirling engine driving a generator to charge batteries / capacitors? Stirling engines use external heat sources... Since they run on hot air, we can finally have an ethical use for politicians! lol-2.gif

Finally a use for JT LOL
Lg914
So as unfortunate it is to loose your cargo in such a matter it will not be the end of the mater. Just wait till the shipping company declares General Average.
General Average is a principle of maritime law that essentially establishes that all sea cargo stakeholders (owner, shipper, etc.) evenly share any damage or losses.
Luckily none of our personal vehicles were on this ship.
Maltese Falcon
@Lg914 Matt Farah of the "Smoking Tire" podcast, and owner of a WLA car storage facility is the only guy that I heard of that has lost his special-order car on that ship. I'm sure that he will discuss this on his platform sunglasses.gif
marty914.jpg
Shivers
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 22 2022, 07:31 AM) *

@Lg914 Matt Farah of the "Smoking Tire" podcast, and owner of a WLA car storage facility is the only guy that I heard of that has lost his special-order car on that ship. I'm sure that he will discuss this on his platform sunglasses.gif
marty914.jpg

Not a big deal until it drops on your foot. What a bummer, the wait for his car must have been agonizing-then this. sad.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Shivers @ Feb 22 2022, 07:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 22 2022, 07:31 AM) *

marty914.jpg

Not a big deal until it drops on your foot. What a bummer, the wait for his car must have been agonizing-then this. sad.gif

He's an upbeat guy with a great pedigree in automotive journalism. Porsche auto group will Def want to take care of His replacement/ or $$ settlement. When all clears up Matt could get a personal Cali Plate; HOT TIRE aktion035.gif
Marty
Maltese Falcon
@Shivers Matt's car was a 718 Cayman Spyder, and was going to get the DeMan (independent tuner) 4.5 L engine swap drooley.gif
marty914.jpg
Unobtanium-inc
Looks like this one is a wrap, the ship has sunk.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/felicity-ace-ca...-134300000.html

Superhawk996
"Felicity Ace's fire was reportedly complicated by a number of electric cars onboard, with batteries that caught fire. It's still unclear what initially caused the blaze."

av-943.gif it's unclear . . . move along . . . nothing to see here
73-914
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 22 2022, 11:50 AM) *

@Shivers Matt's car was a 718 Cayman Spyder, and was going to get the DeMan (independent tuner) 4.5 L engine swap drooley.gif
marty914.jpg

DeMan is a gr8 shop
Big Len
The boat sank.
Van B
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 1 2022, 09:47 AM) *

"Felicity Ace's fire was reportedly complicated by a number of electric cars onboard, with batteries that caught fire. It's still unclear what initially caused the blaze."

I think electric motors have great potential as a means of propulsion, but batteries... batteries are nowhere near the level of technology that we need, and they won't be for sometime IMO. Cities will burn like the fabled fires of the late 19th and early 20th century if people don't start having honest conversations about electrical vehicles soon.
930cabman
QUOTE(Van B @ Mar 7 2022, 01:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 1 2022, 09:47 AM) *

I think electric motors have great potential as a means of propulsion, but batteries... batteries are nowhere near the level of technology that we need, and they won't be for sometime IMO. Cities will burn like the fabled fires of the late 19th and early 20th century if people don't start having honest conversations about electrical vehicles soon.

My vote follows this thinking. Our current battery technology is fair, but needs more before it's ready for the mainstream. Same with solar, it's great we are moving in this direction, but we need more time.
rhodyguy
Melting permafrost. Time? The clock is broken. Only a matter of...
Front yard mechanic
I heard there was a notchback on board with perfect chrome bumpers av-943.gif
Jamie
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 22 2022, 08:50 AM) *

marty914.jpg

Wait a minute, what is a Cayman Spyder? shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.