Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil cooler in engine compartment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Just something I'm pondering. Probably won't work but thinkin about doesn't cost anything.

I'm considering an oil cooler for a new larger type IV (2270). I need to do rust repair in the hell hole this winter and I'm cosidering lowering the battery shelf and moving it toward the firewall. This could give me enough room to mount a cooler with a fan above the battery.

The positives 1)near cool air, 2)easy to plumb, 3)relatively inexpensive

The negatives 1)don't know if it will work 2)probably have to remove it to get to the battery PITA, 3)it will dump warm air on the battery.

Let me know what you think

Dave
Mockmaw
Well, you could solve the battery problems by simply moving that to the front or rear trunk (which has already been done many times.)
Mark Henry
Dumps hot air into the engine...very bad.

Done a lot of research...mesa with a fan..chuxters method (rocker vents), this and that...always come back to the front mounted cooler.

I think the front mount with a thermostat is the best method.
ChrisReale
Yea, the front mounted cooler is the way to go.
Joe Bob
Trunk.....better in front or rear is ....OK....
SirAndy
front mounted. everything else is half-ass ...

Andy
Aaron Cox
this brings me to an interesting question.... on a car such as the 930 or a boxter, could you utilize the side vents for an oil cooler or is all that air for the rear brakes and engine?

and, could you use a 911 fendermounted oil cooler?
Brad Roberts
Nothing works "great" unless it is front mounted and has air passing thru it.

The last thing you want to do is pull heat off of oil cooler and dump it into the engine compartment to add more heat to the cooling air for the engine.

We have several people in this area running 2 oil coolers under the engine lid with multiple fans and they cant figure out why the car still gets hot..

B
DNHunt
Thanks for all the advice.

I'm convinced, not in the engine compartment.

Dave
airsix
If you were set on putting a cooler back there I would put it in the wheel-well. No reason it has to source or exhaust air to/from the engine compartment. But, like they've said: front is better. Too bad it's costly and a hassle.
-Ben M.
URY914
Oil collers need AIR FLOW!!!
Kinda simple, really.

Paul
efrenv
I did install a Setrab Oil Cooler in the location where the A/C compressor used to be, beside the battery tray. The Oil Cooler was fitted with a SPAL cooling fan (pull configuration) discharging downwards. Also installed a thermostat on the oil line before the Oil Cooler and oil adapter sandwich plate.

The Oil Cooler helps when the car is at a standstill or idling. Does not help much when the car is racing fast at the freeway
StratPlayer
I got this today,, the best place for this to be mounted in near the engine compartment correct?
Brad Roberts
I mount them up front... but most people are mounting them near the engine.

The whole idea is to have a bypass for the oil until it warms up. The oil coolers dont like to see 100lbs of oil pressure.

I cant prove to myself that one position is better than the other. Your still running the same amount of line to and from the cooler.

B
Brad Roberts
Efren.. do you have pics of this ??

And did you know Don Haney (914 guy who used to live in Claremont)

B
ChrisReale
To run an oil cooler up front, you need?
Sandwich adapter between the filter, oil cooler, lines, thermostat.
How much more oil do you need to put in? (ball park number)

Is that thing posted in the pic above a splitter that lets the oil bypass the cooler until the thermometer warms up enough to open and let the oil into the cooler?
StratPlayer
Its a oil cooler thermostat, basically does what you said above. My cooler is mounted in the front.
SirAndy
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jul 24 2003, 12:24 PM)
Its a oil cooler thermostat, basically does what you said above. My cooler is mounted in the front.

can you set the temperatur on the thermostat ?
or is it "fixed" ...

Andy
StratPlayer
I don't think you can set the temp. for this to open but not sure, this one is designed to open at around 180 degrees.
MJHanna
"Its a oil cooler thermostat, basically does what you said above. My cooler is mounted in the front"

I hope you are not running this thermostat on a 6 if its a 4 its OK but NOT for a 6. fighting19.gif
StratPlayer
No its a 4,, 76 2.0
Mark Henry
Stratplayer, where and how much for the Mocal icon14.gif
PP's price seems a tad high.
StratPlayer
Cheapest I could find was from Performance Products, $119.00 + shipping. I think Pelican wanted 124 for the same thing.
J P Stein
I mounted the thermo near the motor......why?
It's a bit easier on the oil pump.

With the thermo in the front, the oil pump has to push cold oil thru 15-20 feet of oil line to return it to the tank....with resultant higher back pressure.....vs 6-8 feet for the set-up near the engine.

I'm not a big fan of the Mocal thermo either. The pressure relief in the Troutman thermo saved my motor from my stupidity. The Mocal doesn't have this feature.
seanery
What's wrong with running this thermo on a -6?
MJHanna
: http://www.rennsportsystems.com
"A related issue is the oil thermostat. The Factory-style oil thermostat is a very special device. This regulates oil pressure, as well as oil temperature, to and from, the front auxiliary oil cooler. The pressure relief function of the Factory thermostat ensures that the inlet side of the oil pump is never starved due to the pressure drop in the long lines to the front cooler. Aftermarket oil thermostats such as the Mocal unit do not have this feature and you risk starving the engine of oil pressure during peak pressure demands.

We strongly recommend only using the Porsche thermostat or the Troutman thermostat since they both have the same internal architecture and use the same Behr element."
seanery
GOOD INFO!
efrenv
Brad,

I can take a picture and post it. Yes, I met Don Haney at Pelican Parts. Really cool guy, helped me at PP when I was buying parts there. Nice red 911 too. Have to attend one of their swapmeets one of these days. wink.gif

Efren
efrenv
Here is a photo of the Setrab Oil cooler in the A/C compressor compartment.
Brad Roberts
Wow.. packed it in tight. Kept the lines short though.

B
brant
I've seen one engine oil cooler I liked..... not the most aerodynamic solution... but cheaper and effective...

A local guy rigged a cooler in the engine bay. It clipped onto the inside of the engine lid for street purposes.. (yes, hot air in the intake)..

but the lines were a little longer than that.. when he showed up at Drivers ed. events, he had rigged a mount to screw in to the factory ski rack holes under the targa bar. The cooler popped out of the engine bay and attatched to this mount... Basically standing up above the roof. Full air flow.. not aerodynamic, but full air flow with short lines.

brant
Aaron Cox
what if one were to do a 'corvair' style trunk lid. put louvers/scoops and mount the cooler back there. the air would have to exit somewhere.......(just thinking outloud)
brant
lots of people do...
but full frontal air is still better.
brant
Brad Roberts
They exit the air in between the rear tailights when the coolers are mounted in the trunk.

B
makinson1
Where do I get the sandwich adapter ? how do I get air to the upfront cooler when there are no holes in my 74 SE Air Dam ? Can I use the coiled copper tubing from my bourbon still to cool the oil?
Pnambic
Maybe a stupid question, but I've been called stupid more than once, so it doesn't hurt so bad anymore. When woud you say you need to invest in one of these oil coolers? I figure in a stock 1.7 that its probably not worth the effort. When does it become worthwhile or perhaps necessary?
huh.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Pnambic @ Aug 28 2003, 07:33 AM)
When does it become worthwhile or perhaps necessary?

when your oil temp exceeds 230F in the service it is intended for.
Pnambic
Imagine the oil cooler you could stick on this baby! lol3.gif
makinson1
Do I really need an extra cooler? At ~80mph on the Freeway, motor turns about 3200 rpm, and oil temp guage is about 3/4 way up.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(efrenv @ Jul 24 2003, 01:31 PM)
Yes, I met Don Haney at Pelican Parts. Really cool guy, helped me at PP when I was buying parts there.

Sadly, Don is no longer working at Pelican. I don't think he even has anything to do with the D&G swap meets any more. sad.gif

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.