Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A change of plans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John Kelly
Well I have had to give up on my gullwing door, mid engine Karmann Ghia concept..it has been in the planning and experimenting stage for about 15 years. I finally realized that if I want to get a car on the road, I'm going to have to be less ambitous. If I were able to work full time on it, I could have had it done in 5 years or so. At the rate I was going, 15-25 years would be more like it. Just turned 50, so getting a car on the road while I can still enjoy it is a good plan. The new plan: Ghia with steel flares, t-tops, big fat 914 engine (see "tail dragger" picture), will change to early taillights and headlight sections. I hope I can still tag along since only the engine will be 914, not the suspension...I'll catch you on the straights.

Trying to sell my house and buy a small motel across the street from the beach...a good place for a 914 gathering.... think about the curvy roads on the way to Moclips Wa.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com shabby-chic sheet metal shaping shop by the sea shore
rhodyguy
jon, when was that picture taken? the kg is a 71 or 72? good luck on the ocean venture. moclips is much nicer than the "open sores" area. i spent many summers at copalis beach. you going to build a shop after you get settled?

k
Bleyseng
I hope you like razor clams!
John Kelly
Hi Kevin,

It is a '74, the last year and one of the ugliest. I will remedy that I hope. I took the picture friday. I plan to build a shop when I can afford to. There is a small garage type hole in the wall that I will make do with for the time being.

Geoff, I don't know if I like razor clams...better figure it out though.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
reverie
I love that area!.. the beaches are sooo nice.

This will be a wonderful change for you, and you know there will be an influx of 914 and Ghia drivers every year, ready for some beachcombing and relaxation.

John, you will be missed more than mere words can express.

Cheers, brother. beerchug.gif
jonwatts
NEATO! I love the look of ghias, they are very near the top of my "must someday own one" list (the real list, not the fake list full of obscenely priced cars).

So you can back-date a ghia body just by changing the headlight and tailight sections or will there be any other clues that it's a '74 body?

Looks like someone started the T-tops for you.

Hope your new neighbors are ok with your metalworking business. Congrats on the new venture.

Jon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.