Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory Dash tops update post #110 $340 for late
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mikey914
QUOTE(914pwr @ Mar 10 2022, 02:01 PM) *

Which one between this new one and the rubber one is more accurate to the factory texture?

Technically, the rubber one, why I say this is Ken wound up selling me his NOS dash top as we molded directly off of it. The vinyl we are using is a match, but because of the way we made it, it's an EXACT match. Even a little imperfection on the top right corner that was made during the forming of the OEM one was replicated.

Here's the original thread on the solid ones -
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=253410&hl=

Even Brad Mayer had something to say about the finish in the install video
https://youtu.be/3s61VzZSDqg
ValcoOscar
Another one for me PLEASE

O
jrrobertson
I would like one.
Front yard mechanic
I need one to go with my new bronze see through top
dlee6204
In for one.
PCH
Count me in
bob164
I would like one.
mb911
1 please.
johnswint3
I'm in for 2
SavingManuals
One for me please
mlmgm
One please
dyw914
Interested in one. Thanks.
Badinfluence1
I'll take one the crack in the dash really bugs me...
Beach914
Im in for one.
Mr.Nobody
+1 please
jim dorociak
I would like one also. Jim
jdorociak@gmail.com
porbmw
one, please beerchug.gif
CoronaMike
I'm in. smile.gif
strawman
Put me down for one for Nancy's 914 (like Andyrew, the dash in my 914 is too modified for a stock one to fit!).
hndyhrr
Any update on these? Was hoping they would be done soon, as I have complete dash out to recover and would be nice to install new rather than install old and then take it out to put in new. lol

Thanks
Mikey914
These are still in tooling phase. Late July will be the earliest we could do anything. I will however have another batch of the sold ones available soon.
Root_Werks
I put myself on the website to notify me when they come back in stock. If there are any available earlier, lemme know.

Puebloswatcop
Can you add one for me as well....Thanks
52split
I’ll take one please
Mikey914
Just talked to my production and will have the solid ones in about a week.
Mark
SA-914
I would take one if not too late to get on the list.
Red76
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 9 2022, 05:42 PM) *

We have been making the solid rubber dash tops for many years now and yes they will not crack, but the materials costs have gone up significantly. We are doing our best to hold our prices down, but we will have to raise them eventually (Currently $650 full retail).

The way the factory made the OEM dashes is MUCH cheaper. It uses a less dense foam (that also is not self skinning) and has the vinyl stretched over the low density foam. This is why they all crack at the same points.

We have already committed to making the tooling and have a projected release date of late July early August. We are projecting that we can sell these full retail at $495, and like always we will do a group buy with a significant discount. While I hate to throw this out there before we have everything worked out I felt it important to note that there are pending. I know George always says this is such a small market to make parts for that 2 people making the same parts makes it more difficult, but you the consumer will benefit here.

Significantly.

So with the knowledge that these are forth coming I'm posting and if you are interested (we are looking in the low $300 range for these). Let me know here. Like always if I can do better I do pass it on.

Thanks all biggrin.gif
PS We will have the solid rubber re run in about 20 days. We are currently doing them up now. It's unfortunately why we had to raise the retail to $650 as the material went up again.

These look beautiful man! I’m in for 2 of them. Hopefully your able to hold the price on them as quoted. Keep us posted.
Montreal914
Question: Would the new ones easier to clean that the first generation of reproduction (solid rubber)? Not saying the rubber ones aren't easy to clean, mine (solid) is still in its box, non- installed, just wondering (rubber texture vs vinyl).

Also wondering about the benefits of the new repro (factory style)? idea.gif This is definitely not for a concours' car.

Thank you for making these! smilie_pokal.gif
Jett
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ May 12 2022, 07:25 AM) *

Question: Would the new ones easier to clean that the first generation of reproduction (solid rubber)? Not saying the rubber ones aren't easy to clean, mine (solid) is still in its box, non- installed, just wondering (rubber texture vs vinyl).

Also wondering about the benefits of the new repro (factory style)? idea.gif This is definitely not for a concours' car.

I have one of the first generation and find it very easy to maintain and not too many folks can tell it is after market. I have an NOS dash in a box from AA many years ago but cannot find a reason to replace Mark’s.
rick 918-S
Put me down as tentative. I have one of your first run dash's for the Raspberry car but I think I need another one. I have to see if the used dash I put in my Alien is still holding up.
Mikey914
Make no mistake, the solid ones are the Cadillac of the line. We will continue to make them as they are super durable, easy to clean, and will NEVER crack.

The reason we embarked on the factory style dash was the desire to have an economy product. It will be functionally just like OEM, meaning the primary issue of expansion and contraction of the foam and vinyl will still occur and the mount points will be in the same place. We are looking at some options that may make it more durable, but not sure if it can be possible using these materials.

As the factory made a reasonable dash to begin with the design is not completely bad, just the least expensive way to make the part.

The next tun on solid dashes should be ready next week.

The material to make the molds has been acquired. Will be cutting metal shortly.
Root_Werks
boldblue.gif
bob
I'm in for one!

worn
QUOTE(bob @ May 12 2022, 03:01 PM) *

I'm in for one!

Me too.
Tonyooc
I'm interested in one. How are they to change? Is it pretty straight forward or are there any special tricks
sixaddict
Mark
Definitely want one of the new ones(it’s for a 70)
Thanks for your persistence!
Montreal914
QUOTE(Jett @ May 12 2022, 08:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ May 12 2022, 07:25 AM) *

I have one of the first generation and find it very easy to maintain and not too many folks can tell it is after market. I have an NOS dash in a box from AA many years ago but cannot find a reason to replace Mark’s.

beerchug.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(Tonyooc @ May 12 2022, 07:47 PM) *

I'm interested in one. How are they to change? Is it pretty straight forward or are there any special tricks

Im currently in the process of changing out mine on my red car. Not super difficult. Just need to get to all the mounting nuts.
Ill post up more pictures later this week.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 15 2022, 10:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Tonyooc @ May 12 2022, 07:47 PM) *

Im currently in the process of changing out mine on my red car. Not super difficult. Just need to get to all the mounting nuts.
Ill post up more pictures later this week.

first.gif

Can't wait...thx

popcorn[1].gif
Root_Werks
At the risk of sounding impatient, any updates? Pulled my windshield last night and a new dash would be perfect timing to drop in.

icon_bump.gif
Mikey914
Spent about 90min last night to install my new dash. Took off the lower dash to get my hands into the air vents. Will try to carve some time off tonight to finish.
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 17 2022, 09:20 AM) *

Spent about 90min last night to install my new dash. Took off the lower dash to get my hands into the air vents. Will try to carve some time off tonight to finish.

Looks great , ask mom if you can buy some speaker covers
Mikey914
Not directly related but one of the things holding back getting started is finishing whats on my plate.

Thought I had dialed these in, but need to rework the screw hole áreas.
Mikey914
These
Old and new
All mine have cracks so I made these too.
Mikey914
Finally got the solid rubber ones done. Getting material was a real pain. Should be back on the site in a day or two.

Still working out a few hiccups on the OEM style.
Mikey914
Wow shipped out 10 of these today. We will still keep making the solid rubber even after the new one come on line.
JamesJ
Mark, when does the GB end?
Mikey914
Well the GB hasn't started yet. The dashes that are flying out the door are the solid rubber ones we have been making for quite some time.
We will continue to make them, and they are the "Cadillac" of the line in that they will never crack. The problem with the OEM style is that with the 2 types of material. tension can be concentrated in certain areas. This is why all the OEM ones crack in the same place. This can take many years, and they may not crack as some have provided feedback here.

Just 2 different flavors. One will be less expensive - the one we are doing the tooling on now.
-Mark
Mikey914
Finally finished getting the dash in. Had to get DIN removal tools .
Made it easy to get to the last 2 I was having an issue with.

So yes the dashes can be installed without removing the entire assembly.
Mikey914
Thought I'd share. We are making progress on these hope to be in production in 6 weeks or so. Working on how to form and cut the Vinyl. Making more substructures, and waiting for vinyl to be ready.
This is not the actual vinyl that will be used, but we can work on perfecting the process while we wait.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.