Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory Dash tops update post #110 $340 for late
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mikey914
We have been making the solid rubber dash tops for many years now and yes they will not crack, but the materials costs have gone up significantly. We are doing our best to hold our prices down, but we will have to raise them eventually (Currently $650 full retail).

The way the factory made the OEM dashes is MUCH cheaper. It uses a less dense foam (that also is not self skinning) and has the vinyl stretched over the low density foam. This is why they all crack at the same points.

We have already committed to making the tooling and have a projected release date of late July early August. We are projecting that we can sell these full retail at $495, and like always we will do a group buy with a significant discount. While I hate to throw this out there before we have everything worked out I felt it important to note that there are pending. I know George always says this is such a small market to make parts for that 2 people making the same parts makes it more difficult, but you the consumer will benefit here.

Significantly.

So with the knowledge that these are forth coming I'm posting and if you are interested (we are looking in the low $300 range for these). Let me know here. Like always if I can do better I do pass it on.

Thanks all biggrin.gif
PS We will have the solid rubber re run in about 20 days. We are currently doing them up now. It's unfortunately why we had to raise the retail to $650 as the material went up again.
StarBear
Thanks! So good to have choices.
NARP74
Mine is cracked, you've got my money.
mepstein
I’ll take two. Thanks
emerygt350
How would you judge installation difficulty with this new one? Same, different?
sixaddict
Mark
I am in for one
Thank you !
Tom1394racing
I will take one
windforfun
"The way the factory made the OEM dashes is MUCH cheaper. It uses a less dense foam (that also is not self skinning) and has the vinyl stretched over the low density foam. This is why they all crack at the same points."

My dash is original & it hasn't cracked yet.

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
Cornerlot
Put me down for one.
Shivers
Only way I could afford one. Thanks Mikey
wonkipop
QUOTE(windforfun @ Mar 9 2022, 08:49 PM) *

"The way the factory made the OEM dashes is MUCH cheaper. It uses a less dense foam (that also is not self skinning) and has the vinyl stretched over the low density foam. This is why they all crack at the same points."

thats because you live in "off the map"? - a place where the sun does not shine?

------

30 years ago all the cars that came in to aus from cali had cracked dashes even then.
i had a car from chicago - no cracks in dash.
i think they called that spot of light in the sky that shone through the white haze in summer the sun. i'm fairly sure they were mistaken and it was venus magnified by humidity.

Shivers
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Mar 9 2022, 08:38 PM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Mar 9 2022, 08:49 PM) *

thats because you live in "off the map"? - a place where the sun does not shine?

------

30 years ago all the cars that came in to aus from cali had cracked dashes even then.
i had a car from chicago - no cracks in dash.
i think they called that spot of light in the sky that shone through the white haze in summer the sun. i'm fairly sure they were mistaken and it was venus magnified by humidity.

When I got mine in 1982 the dash was cracked. I bought a dash cover. But I do live under the sun.
hndyhrr
Put me down for one please
porbmw
Dang, they look great!
BUT
there is an even smaller market looking for help....the "early version"
Would you be able to do them, with the slight modifications required.
beerchug.gif
Montreal914
From unobtanium crack free dash cover a few years ago to three new offerings now? blink.gif

- 914rubber, rubber dash
- 914rubber, OEM like dash
- and this one? http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=358616

We need more 914s... smile.gif
DaveB
Great timing, just starting to tear my dash out. Count me in for one. BTW - lower dash knee pad would help too (lol).

Thanks!!!

DaveB
jettonjoshua
I’m definitely in for one.
wonkipop
QUOTE(porbmw @ Mar 9 2022, 11:26 PM) *

Dang, they look great!
BUT
there is an even smaller market looking for help....the "early version"
Would you be able to do them, with the slight modifications required.
beerchug.gif

no - there is an even smaller market.
rhd 914s. but its too late to save us.

i don't think our dashes down here crack - being fibreglass simulacrums.
(i used a bigger word than @Emerygt350 ? - its your fault i learned it in america).
fibreglass then skinned in vinyl. a bit like the old 911 dashboard tops.

this dash project of 914 rubber is i think seriously good.
i've never heard of anyone reproducing dashboards like this except some dude in south africa who started making them for VW type 3s. he is probably dead now.
they were rhd too and he got flooded with demands from the USA for mirror versions.

good work by 914 rubber. buy em. beerchug.gif

but ---------? remember. keep it out of the sun.
VW type3 dashboards exploded in australia while the cars were still under warranty.
like - 6 months out of the showroom.
Mikey914
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Mar 9 2022, 05:11 PM) *

How would you judge installation difficulty with this new one? Same, different?

Id put them as the same effort. The attachment points are still a pain to get to either way.

When I mentioned they are destined to crack, it is more of a commentary on the built in design flaws. Mainly that the low density foam has a different density than the top vinyl. Being black it will absorb a significant amount of heat, and at a different rate of expansion than the substrate. Over time this becomes fatiguing to the surface material. It’s not a matter of UV degradation, but differences in density of material.

This is proven in that they all crack in the same points where stress is concentrated.

Yes it is possible to have a OEM dash not cracked, but it would be because the dash hasn’t been through these cycles as often. Dash covers are a good way to protect them, and I may just start making a one to sell with.
akp2002
Please put me down for one also!
SA-914
+1
racer914
I would be in for one!
Montreal914
I have one of the rubber ones (no installed yet).

Is there a reason why I should be interested in this new version? Better finish, closer to stock look?

I was under the impression the original reproduction (rubber from what I understand) was a great replacement part.

Not sure I understand the purpose of this new version. confused24.gif

And who's producing it? 914Rubber, AA, a third party for either or both? AA has come out with the same product at the same time for double the price of 914Rubber. There must be something I am not getting here...
Optimusglen
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 9 2022, 05:42 PM) *

So with the knowledge that these are forth coming I'm posting and if you are interested (we are looking in the low $300 range for these). Let me know here. Like always if I can do better I do pass it on.

I'd be down for one of the new cheaper ones, still interested in the door panels you had a GB on, but I'm not sure if I got in early enough for that.

GregAmy
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Mar 10 2022, 03:41 PM) *

I was under the impression the original reproduction (rubber from what I understand) was a great replacement part.

I can vouch for the 914Rubber part. It's a great bit that's well worth the money spent.

So I'm a bit confused as to the purpose of these two new options, and why the few vendors/producers we have are inter-competing in this limited marketspace.

Clearly, I don't understand the business aspects of 914 parts market, but it seems to me, as an owner/customer, that I'd really prefer to see vendors focusing on producing parts we still can't get, versus offering three versions of the same part.

I fear we're evolving (de-volving?) into the silly 911 concourse mindset...where guys in silly hats and jackets are checking for Q-tip cleaning marks on the door edges...if we're jumping that shark here, then maybe that offer to swap for a clean Boxster S isn't such a bad idea.

Just my thoughts...and fears.
914pwr
Which one between this new one and the rubber one is more accurate to the factory texture?
mepstein
QUOTE(914pwr @ Mar 10 2022, 04:01 PM) *

Which one between this new one and the rubber one is more accurate to the factory texture?

Should be the new one since it’s vinyl, not textured rubber.
mepstein
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Mar 10 2022, 03:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Mar 10 2022, 03:41 PM) *

I can vouch for the 914Rubber part. It's a great bit that's well worth the money spent.

So I'm a bit confused as to the purpose of these two new options, and why the few vendors/producers we have are inter-competing in this limited marketspace.

Clearly, I don't understand the business aspects of 914 parts market, but it seems to me, as an owner/customer, that I'd really prefer to see vendors focusing on producing parts we still can't get, versus offering three versions of the same part.

I fear we're evolving (de-volving?) into the silly 911 concourse mindset...where guys in silly hats and jackets are checking for Q-tip cleaning marks on the door edges...if we're jumping that shark here, then maybe that offer to swap for a clean Boxster S isn't such a bad idea.

Just my thoughts...and fears.

I agree with not creating the same part x 3 but in this case, vendor b is coming up with a similar or same part for half the price of vendor aa. So in this case, a competitive market is beneficial to the consumer, at least short term. Who knows what might happen to supply and demand in the future.
turnaround89
Count me in for one!! Also can't wait for the door panels to be available.
Robarabian
1 for me
NARP74
I suspect something else is going on behind the scenes. We may find out sometime.
914pwr
I will take on as well. Thanks
gonzo54
I would like to be on the list for 1 dash

Thanks
Nate W
I would like one thanks
Andyrew
That is a really good price for a OEM reproduction of such a high dollar part typically…

I only wish it would work on my car!
treemn
One please.
Thanks
relentless
Please put me down for one. Thanks

treemn, I used to cruise Main and Klamath ave. back in the late 70's in my '72. I once had three chicks sitting up on the roll bar while cruising bumper to bumper with my buddy. Got pulled over by a cop, tho, who said "Get those girls down off there!"
ClayPerrine
I need one for Elwood please. 1970 914-6.

Clay
whiterabbit
Put me down for one.
Jack Standz
One for me please.
Bates
Add my name to the list.
Thanks for improving the product and lowering the costs.
Bates
Will these fit a 1970 model car?

QUOTE(Bates @ Mar 11 2022, 10:50 AM) *

Add my name to the list.
Thanks for improving the product and lowering the costs.

Mikey914
Yes they will. We slightly modified the underside that is not exposed to allow them to mount with the clearance needed to open the glove box. Same as the solid rubber we already make. biggrin.gif
horizontally-opposed
Great to see another alternative—and it sounds to me like the situation is as laid out in the first post: Had a product for this, but have been watching the price go up significantly and developed another alternative.

Timing with AA's offering of an "exact match" replacement for the OE dash is interesting, but anyone who has been developing a product like this would want to answer the emergence of a similar product before they got theirs to market.

To be honest, I am more interested in this product than the heavier rubber one, if only because the next new dash pad my 914 gets is very likely the last one given how little sun the car sees. Color me very interested, pending close-up pics of the surface/grain.
jhynesrockmtn
I'd take one if it will fit a 1970.
targa72e
I would like one as well.

john
Dobbsy
+1 for me
T.Rick6
+1 for me, thanks beerchug.gif
Chris H.
+1 for me.
Hoppie944s2
I'm in
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.