Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I guess it was bound to happen
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MoveQik
It finally happened. I have read numerous threads bashing these guys. I usually chime in with my two cents saying that I have ordered from them more than once and have always had good service. They treated me right so I had nothing bad to say about them. Until now.

I ordered their complete seal kit for $650 bucks. It goes something like this:

Me - Yeah, I'll take one of the seal kits for the 914
AA - Great.
Me - Is the whole kit in stock? I really need the whole kit as I have no seals around the Targa or the doors.
AA - Yep. It is all in stock. It'll ship tomorrow.
Me - Great.

The kit shows up several days later. Looks like a big box of rubber snakes. Cool! I dump it all out this morning and start sorting through it. Hmmm....no top-front seal(the one that goes up by the wing windows and across the top), no turn signal seals...what else is missing??

So I call them and ask about it.

Me - Hey, it looks like some seals are missing. I can't find the top seal. What gives?
AA - Oh yeah, those are on back order. We can't find them anywhere.
Me - WTF? When I asked the guy if the whole kit was in stock, shouldn't he have told me that the biggest seal in the kit was actually out of stock?
AA - Uhhhh....we take so many orders it is hard to tell. The vendor lost the mold so we had to order another one for $20k.
Me - Not my problem. When can I expect the seal?
AA - 1-2 weeks.
Me - You are telling me the part is on back order from Europe from a vendor that has to make a new mold?? That doesn't sound like 1 -2 weeks to me.
AA - Uhhhh yeah. Maybe 3 weeks.

You get the idea.....I basically got nowhere. I didn't even receive so much as an apology. I am an extremely reasonable guy. I understand that shit happens. However, I expect to be told the truth. This part was clearly on back order when I ordered the kit. They knew damn good and well it wasn't there and it isn't going to be here anytime soon. This kind of shit pisses me off. I'm going to guess that it won't be here in time for the RRC so I am basically stuck hoping for sunny weather.

I should have known better than to press my luck knowing they have obviously done it to so many others. headbang.gif
Aaron Cox
call greg or george. if they wont help.....

tear em a new one.....and then tell them your ready to take your business elsewhere
AA
Allan
Bummer. I've only ordered 1 item from them about a year ago.

They screwed it up.
nebreitling
same old shit, different day. where's greg.treadway when you need him...?
rhodyguy
if you haven't installed any of the items do this. call your cc company imediately and dispute the charge. put the snakes back in the box. call aa and tell them no parts, no sale, and they need to arrange to have the box picked up. tell them that will be the only call on your nickle you are willing to make to correct their deceptiveness. DO NOT PAY FOR RETURN SHIPPING!!! which they will pay for, but you must be firm. you must put the box outside or be willing to be there when the shipping co shows up. it will be a hassle, there will be a time limit to fill out the form the ccc will send you. everybody is alotted one smooth transaction. usually a small one. then you get screwed on the big one. never, never, NEVER! give up. prob driving around in the "ultimate" 914. stupidest car i've ever seen. neon lights, and all the other rice crap.

k

k
Root_Werks
sad.gif They have certainly been notoroius for saying they have something, taking your money and then not shipping the item because they don't have it. It has happended to me several times. Eventually, if you keep on them, you will get your item. But it can be a painful road. It actually caused me to radically re-work my entire project and not install the steel flares they make. sad.gif
MoveQik
I talked to George....or Greg, I can't remember now. He claims all of the missing parts except for the front targa seal will ship out tomorrow. Unfortunately that really is the seal I need the most! I wouldn't have rushed out and ordered the whole friggin kit if I knew that part wasn't even in stock. He tells me he will call me tomorrow morning with an update as to when I can expect the seal. Time will tell.

Still no apology for the inconvenience to me. However, I did get to hear the sob story about the money THEY spent on new tooling again. That is really what I want to hear when I am calling them expecting a resolution for how they f'd me. These guys have great customer skills.
Joe Bob
Anything AA can get GPR can get....then you can yell at someone closer and who gives a shit....
rhodyguy
were you told that it would be shipped next day air to compensate you for the inconvienence. if it ships tomorrow you should be installing it wed afternoon. let's start a delivery pool! how long is ground transport from ga to az? ship on fri, 7 to 10 working days... i pick the 17th biggrin.gif .

k
Joe Bob
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Aug 1 2005, 03:09 PM)
were you told that it would be shipped next day air to compensate you for the inconvienence. if it ships tomorrow you should be installing it wed afternoon. let's start a delivery pool! how long is ground transport from ga to az? ship on fri, 7 to 10 working days... i pick the 17th biggrin.gif .

k

Of what month/year?
MoveQik
I'll hi-jack my own thread....Mr. Butz changed his avatar. Damn! Now it isn't as fun to read his posts.
rhodyguy
so other stuff was missing other than the front seal? did they tell you they will credit your visa until they fulfill their end of the transaction? lucky they have YOUR money to purchase the new die for the seal. did you order the "economy" or the "deluxe" seal package. i bet the "deluxe" has them.

k
Thorshammer
We told you!

Good luck, I had the same problem with a seal kit from them a couple years ago. It took far longer than 2 weeks and the excuse was the same, the mold back then was damaged??? They are weak at very best, and it's a shame, they certainly have the ability. If they would just communicate with people as to what they have and what they don't we would all use them more often.

Erik
smooth_eddy
Yep, happend to me a short while ago. I called and placed an order. They said it was in stock and would ship out on the next Monday. Well 10 days later, nothing. I called and they told me it was on back order. I cancelled the entire order. Next time I will just wait till Monday when Pelican is open. I am finished with AA. At least I did not get screwed by AA, I was able to cancel first. Seems like they like to make the customer think the parts are sitting right in front of them ready to ship. When they really have no clue. Eddy
TravisNeff
Sounds like you will never get that seal you need most.

If their first attempt at making your order right doesn't happen. Ship that shit back and get it from somewhere else.

You are right if someone has to make a new mold that will take some time, again more time for someone to inspect the first run of seals to see if they are ok or what - or you may just be a guinnea pig.

914forme
Not sure what the current policy is but in the old days when I dealed with them on occasion, you got Auto-atalanta bucks. They sucked expired in a short period of time etc.....

So they have my part I shipped back and an extra $150 in there pocket. So screw me once cool, do it twice and I was just stupid. Problem is George is a pretty smart business man, he gets the parts made by various suppliers and then controls the distribution, price and shipping. Great job there, I could drive to Michigan to get a engine shelf for a past project from Restoration Design, I knew they made them. He could not sell me one even though he had them, George had him under contract for that part. And others I am sure.

Kunde Passen
El Comprador Se guarda
L'Acheteur Prennent garde
Il Compratore Si guarda da
O Comprador Beware
?????????
???? ????
????
Caveat emptor
Buyer Beware

Stephen

914forme
Dang , My Japanese, Korean, and Chinese did not come out that was the coolest part made me feel all ricer. barf.gif
meares
yep...i had problems with pricing just last week!!! and i'm local! the three times i've been there it has been a dogfight......honestly, i scratch my head and think "how do these guys stay in biz?"
you're right, though, they have an apathetic attitude towards their customers confused24.gif
nebreitling
oh, c'mon guys -- all the good grace from the free burger they bought you at WCC is gone?

laugh.gif lol2.gif

n (<---stirring the shit)
thomasotten
I ordered a windshield to dash rubber bead, and requested the OEM one that costs $120. They sent me the repro, which was fine, but I had to call them to reimburse me the eighty-something dollar price difference.

I like AutoAtlanta, I really do, but their order fullfilment is very bad. One time I actually got free parts I didn't order. But I would say there is about an 80% chance of one of the following going wrong with your order:

1) They don't have the part in stock, even though they told you they did.
2) They send you stuff anyways, even though you tell them, "nah forget it, I'll get that on another order"
3) Parts of it go out on time, but you end up paying way more in shipping for the parts that are sent later, when they have them.
4) Something gets lost in translation from the person who wrote down your order, and the person stuffing the box, and you end up getting the wriong thing.

With all of this, I still order from them. screwy.gif I guess I just haven't found a better alternative, or I like punishment. spank.gif

That reminds me, I need to place an order with them....
rhodyguy
true story. in an order, long, long, ago i recieved 6 930(i think, what ever they were, they big time exspensive) fuel injectors. not even listed on the shipping invoice. called them to let them know. they had me send them back with the promise to reimburse shipping, which they never did. no "thanks, we're going to send you a gift cerificate". that was the next to last order i placed. in today's world i would have them in a classified ad at the bird.

k
Steve
I bought the same kit years ago.
A lot of there seals don't fit right anyway.
The side targa seals were worthless and I had to end up buying them from Tweeks to get my doors to close right.
I would send the kit back and buy the seals you need from tweeks or from some else that the club recommends.
I had good luck with tweeks.
CptTripps
I bought the same kit when I did mine a few months ago. I had a different experience.

I was missing one of the jack-hole plugs, and an additional tube of Worths Seal Adhesive. I called to complain, and they FedEX-ed me the missing pieces, and apologized profusely.

That sucks man...it's really a great kit.
meares
they are no pelican parts........that's for sure!!! THOSE guys are un-f'in-believable!!!!! AA should take some lessons dry.gif
Mike D.
Hey, BTW
The AA front Targa top seal is a piece-O-Shit anyway. It doesn't have the metal strip across the top to hold to the frame, so you have to glue it on. The sides that slide into the frame rails are too fat to fit. It's a little short across the top so it pulls on the ends, and then tears apart where they glued it together from the 3 or so pieces they actually make it out of. You'll need a new one in about 6 mo.
I had two in as many years when they used to sell them for $60. Went and got the Porsche one after that and have had it now 5 yrs.

Have Fun!
Mike D. biggrin.gif
smg914
"You guy's whine worse than a bunch of old ladies in their 80's that don't have a life". Give it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Deal with your issue and freekin' move on !!!!!!!!!!!!!

You did this same thing about 6 months ago. It's tired, so let it go. I speak for probably 95% of the members.

PS; Wow, I can't believe I had the balls to say that. Oh well, it had to be said.
TJB/914
Yea, I agree agree.gif leave poor George alone. He's just trying to make a living to support his collection of 914's.

George is really a good guy, it's the people working for him that suck.

Tom
BTW
Do a google search on George Hussey. He comes from a long line of aristocrat's.
Very interesting reading.
tdgray
Don't mess with the bull son or you'll get the horns. ohmy.gif

Learn it, Live it wink.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE (smg914 @ Aug 2 2005, 11:22 AM)
"You guy's whine worse than a bunch of old ladies in their 80's that don't have a life". Give it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Deal with your issue and freekin' move on !!!!!!!!!!!!!

You did this same thing about 6 months ago. It's tired, so let it go. I speak for probably 95% of the members.

PS; Wow, I can't believe I had the balls to say that. Oh well, it had to be said.

I didn't do this thread 6 months ago so it's my turn now!

I have dealt with a few member/vendors on this board and they have been great. I gave them props for a good product and good service. Now I am just posting the other side of the coin regarding a not-so-good vendor.

They did actually call me today to say that they found some factory targa seals that I could buy if I wanted to cough up more cash.
Allan
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Aug 2 2005, 04:01 PM)
they found some factory targa seals that I could buy if I wanted to cough up more cash.

That's crappy...
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Headrage @ Aug 2 2005, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Aug 2 2005, 04:01 PM)
they found some factory targa seals that I could buy if I wanted to cough up more cash.

That's crappy...

No...the secret wharehouse.... cool_shades.gif

Crappy is a fish....
nebreitling
QUOTE (Thomas J Bliznik @ Aug 2 2005, 11:40 AM)
Yea, I agree agree.gif leave poor George alone. He's just trying to make a living to support his collection of 914's.

George is really a good guy, it's the people working for him that suck.

i actually don't want to stir the shit here, but i think people who've gotten the wrong end of a business deal have the right to complain about the responsible vendor. don't think that anyone is attacking george personally, but AA has long ago reached a critical mass of bad customer relations... and anyway, AA is welcome to respond to this thread. just my 02
dflesburg
I would like an update on this thread, I am about ready to order seals and need to know where to get them.

I was gonna break down and do AA but this thread stopped that dead.

MoveQik
QUOTE (dflesburg @ Aug 3 2005, 09:12 AM)
I would like an update on this thread, I am about ready to order seals and need to know where to get them.

I feel a little better knowing that I saved one person some headaches....AND I cost AA some business. happy11.gif

They deserve it. In yesterday's conversation with them I even told them that I had yet to even receive an apology for their screw-up After I mentioned that, there was just silence......nothing...nada. I'm not sure if it was George or Greg I was talking to but it was one of them. So they can't blame it on some rookie working the phones.

My guess is that they have read this thread and hell will freeze over before they make this thing right. It is too bad. They were pretty good in the past. My wife even sent me to GA a few years ago for Father's Day just so I could check their place out.

Go to GPR or Pelican to get your parts.
dflesburg
So did you get the seals that were missing?

Are they on their way?

What about that top and window seal?

Did you get an inner top seal?
Lyressa Roberts
I'm sure I've posted this in another thread, but I'll post it here since we're on the subject of AA. A friend of mine and Brad's in Farmer's Branch (Dallas) ordered some parts from AA and he complained to them about not getting the parts right so they shipped him a box of dog shit. He actually had it analyzed. That was a hoot, but I'm glad I wasn't the one who opened the box.

chairfall.gif
nebreitling
lmfao... i forgot about that story!

tell me, why do we have to be 'tolerant' of AA again?
ninefourteener
I've been a member for over 2 years now..... and I've read most of the AA horror stories.

I've never bought anything from them.... and I never will.... ever.

I've bought from Pelican, tweeks, and eBay.... thats it.

Never had a bad experience from any of them. I'll stick with my sources.

I feel bad for all the people they've screwed.
tdgray
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Aug 3 2005, 04:01 PM)
lmfao... i forgot about that story!

tell me, why do we have to be 'tolerant' of AA again?

NFS.... Exactly why would you give anyone a "break" who has a business that does that. dry.gif

I don't give a shit if good old georgy had anything to do with that or not, he's still the owner.

Not gettin' my hard earned bucks. mad.gif
dmenche914
You got the parts, do not pay the credit card . notify the credit card that the charge is in dispute. call (and document your calls) that you want AA to arrange for pick up of the partial order,and that you are cancelling the order for lack of parts, and missed deadline (parts were promised in stock)
If AA does not arrange for fedex or ups to pick up at your house on their money, then you get to keep the seals you got, and pay nothing.

how do I know this? experience with AA. i have a very nice several hundered dollar part that they promised was in stock and will ship. found out weeks later they didn't have it, cancelled the order, got the part from someone else, the AA part then arrives, I call them six times to arrange to return the part, they even refused to return promised calls. I wrote it down, sent the info to the credit card company, and they dropped the charges.

If AA does not take the package back after you tell them you don't want it (cause parts are missing) then you owe them nothing. just document your calls, I'd say three or so calls, ought to do it, if no response for picking up the unwanted order, then it is yours,

good luck, aren't credit cards great!!!!! (when combined with companies that have employees that do not give a damn)

PS other times AA has been great with service, it is really hit and miss with them. Most of my bussiness goes to High Performance House. At least they have what they promise, and they don't sell crappy stuff.
scotty b
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Aug 3 2005, 09:21 AM)
QUOTE (dflesburg @ Aug 3 2005, 09:12 AM)

I feel a little better knowing that I saved one person some headaches....AND I cost AA some business. happy11.gif

They deserve it. In yesterday's conversation with them I even told them that I had yet to even receive an apology for their screw-up After I mentioned that, there was just silence......nothing...nada. I'm not sure if it was George or Greg I was talking to but it was one of them. So they can't blame it on some rookie working the phones.

My guess is that they have read this thread and hell will freeze over before they make this thing right. It is too bad. They were pretty good in the past. My wife even sent me to GA a few years ago for Father's Day just so I could check their place out.

Go to GPR or Pelican to get your parts.

If you talk to George you will know by his curt, monotone, holier than though my shit doesn't stink personality. It was stated earlier in this thread that he comes from a line of aristocracy, and he sounds like he does. I have had him PERSONALLY screw up my orders. I have called several times on Sat. and he has answerd and taken my order, so it is not just the packers. Actually they are all a bunch of packers....... laugh.gif
D1A3
Hard not to deal with AA when you live 20 minutes from them. But, every time I have to take a DEEP breath. I've had good experience with their rear targa seal for $50 and some other stuff here and there. Overall, I think they are overpriced, but generally have what you need, especially if your in a pinch. Theri repro side targa seals are too long and fit poorly. Teh seal for the engine lid is also too long. I guess when you make molds from originals, then make molds from those copies and so on, the seal eventually grows a few inches... :-)

That said, I will not do business again after my last experience. I placed an order, cancled it before it was shipped. They shipped it anyway and sent me an email to remind me to look for it from FedEx. Greg would not take it back at first, then offered me a refund minus 20% restocking. Geez, I canceled a week before they shipped it... Credit card was disputed, delivery refused and a month later, a nice letter in the mail from the Credit Card company that I had been issued a FULL refund. Learned my lesson! It's too bad, because they really do have a lot of stuff over there.

I too have had great experience with other members (Props to Al Meredith, Engman and Fred V.), Pelican, Performance, eBay etc. I encourage everyone to continue doing business with those guys that treat you well. Hell, every time I order from Pelican, they send me an email askign how I liked their service. They obviously care about doing things right.

Was goign to stay out of this, but got my letter in the mail, so had to jump in.
nebreitling
i can't believe that they would have more hard-to-find stuff than rich at HPH. he has three stories -- thousands upon thousands of sq ft -- of parts... and he's reliable, and a straight shooter..
Trekkor
agree.gif

Every time i call Rich he has what I need and ships it immediately.

had to wait two days once for shipping, only because I called right before closing.

KT
rhodyguy
you web weenies! wink.gif you guys need to get REAL lives already. biggrin.gif

k
pfierb
I have used Zims Autotechnik in Bedford Texas for years for Porsche parts......they are real straight shooters ,nice guys,great prices and always ship on time .www.allzim.com

paul F.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.