Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing a new carpet kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmichalik
Do you glue down every piece? I like the idea of things not moving around and I've bypassed the speedometer box (it's a '75) at the foot of the passenger side.
The only place I could see where you night not want to would be the front and rear access panels in the center tunnel.
Anyone have experience here or sage advice?
Root_Werks
I think the only piece that needs glue is tucked up by the steering column. I've never glued any of the other pieces, they don't need it.

Floor mats should have the little holes that lock into fittings by the seats that keep them from moving around.
BillJ
I glue the longitudinal pieces as well. Only way to get a tight clean fit
mmichalik
Thanks guys! I appreciate the help here.
emerygt350
As a person that has fought another person's glue and lost... I would say don't glue anything you don't have to.

Don't make me post pictures.
StarBear
What about the left footrest corner piece? I have a replacement but haven’t gotten around to putting it in yet.
ClayPerrine
You have to glue in the ones on the longs, the one on the driver's fenderwell, and the one above the pedal board.

The one on the right side over the foam block can be glued in, but I don't normally do that.

The rest have to be removable for various reasons. The two main ones under your feet have holes at the rear that fit over pegs on the floorboards to keep them from sliding forward.

Clay
windforfun
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Mar 18 2022, 03:27 PM) *

As a person that has fought another person's glue and lost... I would say don't glue anything you don't have to.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

And... The new Coco mats don't last worth a shit.
drem914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 18 2022, 05:18 PM) *

You have to glue in the ones on the longs, the one on the driver's fenderwell, and the one above the pedal board.

The one on the right side over the foam block can be glued in, but I don't normally do that.

The rest have to be removable for various reasons. The two main ones under your feet have holes at the rear that fit over pegs on the floorboards to keep them from sliding forward.

Clay

agree.gif
Carpet tape works quite well for the center tunnel.
mmichalik
Thanks everyone for the guidance. I will post pics on Sunday.
rjames
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Mar 18 2022, 03:27 PM) *

agree.gif

I didn’t glue any of the pieces in and they all stay put as if I had.
Tdskip
Velcro tape is always an option
mmichalik
Got the carpet kit installed today. It came out pretty nice. The carpet needs to relax a bit in certain areas.
I glued the longs, the left foot rest, the piece above the foot board and the top three inches of the passenger side foot rest area.
I think it came out looking pretty nice. Just have to get the door cards, seats and the backpad in and interior will be all set. We're going to do the door cards next weekend, we have to make sure the glass is adjusted properly up and down and side to side. Always a PIA working with the doors because there's so many adjustments.
Here's the pics I promised.
mmichalik
and from the other side.
StarBear
Sweet! biggrin.gif
mmichalik
QUOTE(StarBear @ Mar 20 2022, 05:42 PM) *

Sweet! biggrin.gif

agree.gif
Geezer914
Nice Job!
Tdskip
Very tidy, nice work
wanabeporscheowner
Awesome work. I’m faced with the same job. Hope the PO didn’t go glue crazy
StarBear
Encouraged. Will do my left wheel well today. 61F and sunny!
BillJ
Nicely done. Will look really nice with the blue.
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Mar 18 2022, 06:27 PM) *

I would actually like to see these pictures..
DC_neun_vierzehn
@mmichalik nice work. Where did you get your carpet kit? Looks very nice.
mmichalik
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Mar 22 2022, 06:01 PM) *

@mmichalik nice work. Where did you get your carpet kit? Looks very nice.

@DC_nuen_vierzehn I got it from Auto Atlanta. It's the German loop, and the color is called oatmeal (go figure). At least that is what George called it.

mmichalik
@StarBear @Geezer914 @tdskip @wanabeporscheowner @BillJ thanks for the kind words guys. It was the first carpet kit I've ever installed and I really like the way it turned out.
It's also always nice to hear that others think so too.
AZBanks
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Mar 20 2022, 09:07 PM) *

QUOTE(StarBear @ Mar 20 2022, 05:42 PM) *

Sweet! biggrin.gif

agree.gif

agree.gif
StarBear
Thank you, @mmichalik , for prompting me to think about carpet again. Got the piece to redo the left wheel well several years ago, but didn't do anything. Now did it!
1. Before - original worn, tired and torn
Click to view attachment
2. After removal of old piece
Click to view attachment
3. Cleaned, painted and ready
Click to view attachment
4. Spray glue and initial Placement
Click to view attachment
5. Not professional-looking, but done!
Click to view attachment
Couldn't have done it without you! biggrin.gif
Does emphasize the faded nature of the rest of the original carpet, but otherwise in good shape and striving to maintain originality of everything possible, despite blemishes and flaws (sort of like me.... dry.gif )
mmichalik
@StarBear beerchug.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(StarBear @ Mar 23 2022, 12:28 PM) *

Thank you, @mmichalik , for prompting me to think about carpet again. Got the piece to redo the left wheel well several years ago, but didn't do anything. Now did it!
1. Before - original worn, tired and torn
Click to view attachment
2. After removal of old piece
Click to view attachment
3. Cleaned, painted and ready
Click to view attachment
4. Spray glue and initial Placement
Click to view attachment
5. Not professional-looking, but done!
Click to view attachment
Couldn't have done it without you! biggrin.gif
Does emphasize the faded nature of the rest of the original carpet, but otherwise in good shape and striving to maintain originality of everything possible, despite blemishes and flaws (sort of like me.... dry.gif )

not only that mate.
absolute correct carpet, white flecks and all.
first.gif

very same piece is the one bit of original carpet i left in mine.
bought a roll of that proper brown stuff with the white flecks from porsche australia,
30+ years ago to make carpet for right hand drive conversion. was the last bit they could get from germany in warehouse stock.......no matter how i arranged the pieces to do on that only roll i could not squeeze in all of the bits needed. made a call to leave an original bit in the car. was always fond of that bit because i could rest my foot on it driving. now look at it and think of chicago. beerchug.gif

@mmichalik nice job on your carpets. better than factory.
mmichalik
Thanks @wonkipop beerchug.gif
wonkipop
no worries mate.

you are more germanic than the germans.
its all in the imagination with them. but you actually did it.

when i got my carpets done i gave the guy who trimmed them with vinyl piping an original to copy.

he was a wacko who did jaguar carpets.

he said - these are sh$t. i said yes, please duplicate the turd.
he was a hot-rodder and used to build drag cars so after about 15 seconds of mental processing he grinned at me and said i see where you are coming from.

but its always a better idea to improve on the germans.
thats how america got to the moon? beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.