Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my 9146werkshop SS muffler rubs the stock muffler shield
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914

I have one of Ben's beautiful mufflers on my car, and i just pulled it out along with the transmission, and noticed it is rubbing on the left back side , small spot on the very far left side, rear where the stock heat shield curves down at the back edge.

I was thinking that it has partly to do with Ben's muffler being straight so it gets closer out to the outside on both sides but only rubs on left.

Can i put some spacers at the rear transmission mount to drop the rear abut 1/4"?
If so, what to use? I have the 911 engine mounts for the transmission mounts with stock hardware and bolts and washers.

OR

option 2 try and bend that shield but those welded brackets hold it really tight.

OR

Remove the shield completely and place heat shield material on bottom side of the trunk floor for defection of the heat.

any other thoughts please they would be greatly appreciated.

Phil
Steve
If you take the muffler bracket off of the trans does it lower it enough to stop the rubbing? If so elongate the holes on the muffler bracket to lower it.
ChrisFoley
Show a picture of your trans mount assembly on the car.
IIRC, the stackup is different with them than with stock mounts.
It may be easiest/best to lower the trans by adding spacers on the big bolts between the trans and the mounts.
Steve
The only issue I had with 911 mounts, is that I had to elongate the holes. Are the 911 mounts installed correctly?
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 21 2022, 02:40 PM) *

If you take the muffler bracket off of the trans does it lower it enough to stop the rubbing? If so elongate the holes on the muffler bracket to lower it.
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Mar 21 2022, 02:59 PM) *

It may be easiest/best to lower the trans by adding spacers on the big bolts between the trans and the mounts.

i will take a picture when i get home. I was thinking that too that a washer at the top of the transmission ear would lower it a tad, i may have to get longer bolts, there is only about a quarter inch sticking out the bottom .

on the issue of the bracket if you do that you are letting it sag a bit and then isnt that putting stress on the HE mount ears a bit?

Phil
Steve
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 21 2022, 12:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 21 2022, 02:40 PM) *

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Mar 21 2022, 02:59 PM) *

on the issue of the bracket if you do that you are letting it sag a bit and then isnt that putting stress on the HE mount ears a bit?

Phil

I agree, you don’t want to force it down, but letting it hang and then lifting it up a bit to take the weight off might clear the heat shield. Also take a close look at the heat shield. Is it bent or possibly a broken weld. Sometimes they get banged up with installing and removing a rear sway bar.
mb911
The 1.7 and 1.8 mufflers were very very close to the heat shield and the shield bends slightly downward at the ends. If the muffler were a banana it would fit better.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 21 2022, 02:23 PM) *

The only issue I had with 911 mounts, is that I had to elongate the holes. Are the 911 mounts installed correctly?
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

For one thing, your cups are upside down. They need to be flipped.
and yes, the small holes need to be elongated to fit the 914.
Steve
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Mar 21 2022, 03:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 21 2022, 02:23 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

For one thing, your cups are upside down. They need to be flipped.
and yes, the small holes need to be elongated to fit the 914.

Chris,
Good eye. Those are pictures I found on google, not from the OP. Never trust the Internet!! Sorry about that!!
Olympic 914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 21 2022, 01:21 PM) *

I have one of Ben's beautiful mufflers on my car, and i just pulled it out along with the transmission, and noticed it is rubbing on the left back side , small spot on the very far left side, rear where the stock heat shield curves down at the back edge.

Can i put some spacers at the rear transmission mount to drop the rear abut 1/4"?
If so, what to use? I have the 911 engine mounts for the transmission mounts with stock hardware and bolts and washers.

Put 1/4" spacers above the trans mounts to move my muffler down a little as the exhaust pipes were hitting on my rear valence.

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Mar 22 2022, 09:19 AM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 21 2022, 01:21 PM) *

Put 1/4" spacers above the trans mounts to move my muffler down a little as the exhaust pipes were hitting on my rear valence.

Click to view attachment

that’s probably what i will do
@ChrisFoley
here is a pic of mine
ChrisFoley
That works, but I would rather see a single spacer on the large bolt, between the cup and the mount.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Mar 22 2022, 09:36 PM) *

That works, but I would rather see a single spacer on the large bolt, between the cup and the mount.

@ChrisFoley
That should be easy enough to do, but i may need longer bolts, as putting in a 1/4" spacer there will put the nut right at the end of the bolt. any ideas to pick up both of these before saturday?- oh and do you have any of the clutch pully adaptors in stock for the side mounting?

Phil
ChrisFoley
We replaced those top pieces with large washers. They really don't fit against the 911 mount properly.
I don't think you'll need longer bolts.

I can ship a pulley adapter this week.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.