Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Workshop Day at the Red Barn: Saturday, April 9
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
SirAndy
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 9 2022, 06:44 PM) *
... once he's sure he's happy with the design/performance ...

- Performance seems too good. Oil temp never got over 150, sitting between 130 and 150. That's a bit on the cold side, if i remember right, the thermostat is set for 170-ish.

- Design wise, the two top vanes need a center support, they were flopping quite a lot.

beerchug.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 9 2022, 06:58 PM) *

- Performance seems too good. Oil temp never got over 150, sitting between 130 and 150. That's a bit on the cold side, if i remember right, the thermostat is set for 170-ish.

- Design wise, the two top vanes need a center support, they were flopping quite a lot.

beerchug.gif

Flopping is almost never good! And yes, folks reading this, Andy and I talked about this being a possibility before he left. We even talked about a couple options to address it.
Looks like we'll get to at least Version IV. I LOVE it when that happens! laugh.gif
RoadGlue
Thank you for hosting, Chris! It was great to catch up with a lot of familiar faces, and look forward to seeing everyone again soon.

@markhoward - Total hero. I'm stoked to finally have a spare! smilie_pokal.gif
Andyrew
Looks like a fantastic day!! Sorry I missed it guys! We had an Easter thing with the kids so I couldn’t make it… Next time I’ll bring a project smile.gif

Glad Andy got some work done!!
maf914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 9 2022, 05:58 PM) *

beerchug.gif

Nice louvered vent. I like it.

Maybe you could lay the vanes back and reduce the free area a bit to reduce the air flow volume. But don't work harden the joints and cause fatigue cracking.
tygaboy
Let's not miss @roundtwo Todd's new arrival: a '73 with steel flares and a 3.0 /6 conversion with PMOs. Complete with a lovely interior, GTS seats in leather (!), real Fuchs and some other goodies! Just look at all the love it was getting. I mean, preferred parking with its own cover! Nothing but the best when you're a visitor to the Red Barn. smile.gif
And that's @Krieger Andy's lovely '75 there in the foreground. BEAUTIFUL can with subtle mods that is simply stunning.
Krieger
I'm so glad that I was able to make it! Great bunch of people!
Long_ago
Yes it was a great day.
A wide variety of cars. Everyone so helpful and nice.

Came up 5 and met Michael and Jim in Sac.
We caravaned together. A very nice way to travel.

Thanks so much.
HB
roundtwo
A remarkable Wrench O Ramma at the Big Red Barn. So many amazing cars each with their own unique story.
The gathering came at the perfect time ad honestly saved my spirit. Having just taken delivery on a "new" 914-6 the day before I showed up from the other side of town a bit shaken. I knew the car needed some additional tuning. But the very loose front rotor/ hub I hadn't planned for. The enormous pit crew jumped right in, tuning carbs and getting the front of the car off the ground at the same time. I felt like Ricky Bobby on race day!!! I can't say enough kind and grateful words about all of you. You're a great tribe that I'm lucky to be surrounded by.

Update- looks as if a there's mismatch of the length of the spindle and the depth of the hub/ rotor combination. I can't tighten the spindle nut enough for the back of the spindle washer to contact the outer face of the outer bearing. The washer hits the part of the spindle where the inner threads ends and the first wider taper begins. It just needs another 1-2 mm tightening but the washer bottoms out at that taper. Strut is koni type. Labeled 911 34107 from what i can tell. Not sure if the depth of the rotor is too shallow, the hub too shallow or the bearing should be thicker to take up more distance on the spindle. Something is off. More to follow.

Hope to see you'll all soon.
Cheers to you Chris for bringing us all together.
Cairo94507
Hey Todd,
@roundtwo Glad you are getting to the bottom of that issue. Your new car is a very nice, well appointed car. Once sorted you are going to really love that baby. It has all the right stuff for sure. Maybe check with Eric at PMB and see what he says re the front hubs, etc. Shoot some pictures and send them to him. He may be able to dial you in and of course, supply the parts you may need.

AND Kudos to Andy K. @KRIEGER for jumping right in and getting his hands dirty. Just great people all around really.

How did the engine run on your way home?

Cheers and looking forward to seeing you again.
Michael beerchug.gif
Krieger
Glad he brought the car back. Probably overwhelmed Todd, but set him in the right diection!
markhoward
Really liked @roundtwo ‘s new /6. Lets get get a thread started on it so we can track its progress.
Shackleford
Oh man. This loooks rad. Bummed I
Missed out on a chance to learn from some experts. I’m in Marin. Next time!
roundtwo
Click to view attachment

From an insightful conversation with George Hussey at Auto Atlanta, we determined that both left and right sides are missing the spacer noted in the diagram.

That dang part #24 !!! Very important. sad.gif

Hope to back on the road next week.

SirAndy
QUOTE(roundtwo @ Apr 14 2022, 09:24 AM) *
we determined that both left and right sides are missing the spacer noted in the diagram

blink.gif
Justinp71
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 14 2022, 09:31 AM) *

QUOTE(roundtwo @ Apr 14 2022, 09:24 AM) *
we determined that both left and right sides are missing the spacer noted in the diagram

blink.gif

Looks like fun times.

Hmm... I don't recall having that spacer on my car. Now I think I may need to check!
jcd914
The spacers are not loose, they are pressed on to the spindle and look like a part of the strut. Which is why they can get left on an old strut when replacing it.

It is also the seal race for the inner grease seal and there is an o-ring* between the spacer and spindle.

Jim

* o-ring is #23 above
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.