Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Workshop Day at the Red Barn: Saturday, April 9
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
tygaboy
Hi World - It's been a minute since we last had a Red Barn Workshop so I figured it's time!
- Saturday, April 9, rain or shine

As you enter our lane and pass the first house, WATCH OUT FOR THE SPEED BUMP!!

914 World has done so much for me, this is my small way of trying to pay back this wonderful community.

Feel free to arrive any time after 7:00 AM. I'm OK going until 5:00 PM or so, longer if needed. I will PM my address and contact info to confirmed and tentative attendees.

I'm happy to help you with whatever I can. Maybe you need a part welded, maybe you have a custom bracket you'd like fabricated, maybe you're @Krieger and we can finally make your hood vent, Andy! poke.gif

There are no $ charges for anything. My tools are you're tools. If you have a 2D part that I could draw up and cut on the plama table, this is your chance!
Need some welding done? (Be reasonable, please.) We can make it happen!

If you plan to use tools or make something, please PM me and let me know some details so I can be prepared. Particularly if you need any CAD work done. I'd like to have that ready to go when you get here.

Now, if you're just looking to hang with some like-minded folks and check out some cool cars, that's perfect, too. Come on over! And I'm betting there will be a sighting of Bill's Speedster!

There's a great BBQ place right around the corner so lunch is close - and delicious.

To get you in the mood, here are links to previous Workshops:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=workshop
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=workshop
tygaboy
@Cairo94507 @mikey63 @fiacra @bossboy302
I hope to see you here!
tygaboy
And you guys: @napasteve @buddyv @markhoward @SirAndy
tygaboy
Hey @roundtwo @JamesJ @rmarx will we see you here?
markhoward
Looking forward to it!
napasteve
On the calendar!
SirAndy
I should be able to make it ...

piratenanner.gif
Cairo94507
I will be there; this should be a great time. beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 24 2022, 10:57 AM) *

Hi World - It's been a minute since we last had a Red Barn Workshop so I figured it's time!

There are no $ charges for anything. My tools are you're tools. op[/url]

first.gif
mikey63
I'm in!!! piratenanner.gif
iankarr
Wish I could make it! Have fun!
914_teener
Oh....a NorCal fun day.

Have fun guys.
roundtwo
Sounds great Chris. Just need to tow my car over the night before and purchase a two pound spool of welding wire as a host gift. WTF.gif

Pretty darn sure I'll be there.
Van B
That’s pretty cool man… actually, it’s really cool.

Y’all have fun and put his tools back where you found them!!!
jcd914
I'm In, this sound like fun and Petaluma is a favorite of ours.

In fact my wife and I will be "camping" at KOA in Petaluma this weekend, 914 in tow.

Jim
falcor75
Events like this really makes it suck being stuck in a garage in the northern ass end of the world. I hope you get a grand time and report back with plenty of photos and stories please. smile.gif
dax1969
Great, let me catch a flight biggrin.gif

We have a workshop day in Belgium together with the 914club Holland on 27th march.

This time we have "electrics" scheduled.... I already took my gauges out as we are going to install LED's.... Always fun to get together

last workshop - taking gastank out, installing master cylinder, brakes etc
You always have workers and viewers biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

krgds

Krieger
I would love to go, just not sure with my travels to scottsdale these days…
tygaboy
QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 25 2022, 07:53 AM) *

I would love to go, just not sure with my travels to scottsdale these days…

@Krieger - Andy, Family first, always. Hope it works out that you can attend - it won't be the same without you!
Krieger
Did you guys remove that pesky speed bump on your driveway laugh.gif
fiacra
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 24 2022, 08:01 AM) *

@Cairo94507 @mikey63 @fiacra @bossboy302
I hope to see you here!

Wouldn't miss it!!!! As always, thanks to you and your wife for making us welcome.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 25 2022, 10:02 AM) *

Did you guys remove that pesky speed bump on your driveway laugh.gif

@Krieger - Funny you should mention that. We (all the lane residents) are partnering with the neighbors who actually own the lane to have the potholes filled and the speed bump removed! Not sure it'll be gone by the 9th but it will be gone "soon"!
Krieger
Awesome! My track car has an issue driving over and around it. I may have to drive my red one.
cali914
Im there. I have been dying to see your car in person that is.
tygaboy
QUOTE(cali914 @ Mar 26 2022, 07:56 AM) *

@cali914 - Love to have you attend! And, just fyi, I think I'll be taking it to EASY next Saturday so if you're there...
JamesJ
Thanks Chris! Looking forward to seeing everyone there. A friend will be going as well. He is the new owner of a 914-6. We will each bring our own cars.
BuddyV
I am local.... and will bring the Costco Pizzas.

beerchug.gif

(is there a pizza emoji??)
cali914
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 26 2022, 08:25 AM) *

QUOTE(cali914 @ Mar 26 2022, 07:56 AM) *

@cali914 - Love to have you attend! And, just fyi, I think I'll be taking it to EASY next Saturday so if you're there...

Great yes I will be there. Is there any E85 stations close by in your neck of the woods.
SirAndy
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Mar 26 2022, 07:07 PM) *

I am local.... and will bring the Costco Pizzas.

beerchug.gif

(is there a pizza emoji??)

pizza.gif
tygaboy
It's looking like it'll be a great turnout!
Just want to poke you attendees: Only one person has mentioned wanting some help with a project - and that's fine. I'm totally good with this being more of a 'cars & pizza' thing! Big THANKS to Robert @buddyV for his offer of grub!

So just a reminder:
If you want to "do some real work", please PM me to let me know so I can be prepared.

If all we have is this one thing I mentioned, you may be forced to watch me struggle through a redesign / fabrication of something for my car! happy11.gif
tygaboy
A bit less than a week until our event and the only thing on the "to do" work list is making a small panel to hold a couple auxiliary gauges.

Not that I don't love a gathering, I just want to be sure I'm prepared.

So if you want help with a part or access to tools or do anything other than hang out, drink/eat and take turns driving my car shades.gif , please let me know ASAP.

I've confirmed that Bill will be here with his 50-years owned '58 Speedster. Seeing his car is one thing but hearing his stories about midget racing, building and racing his own Group 7 car or his exploits racing the Volvo is worth the price of admission - which is free! Bill is 85 and one of the OG "build-it-race-it-improve-it-repeat" guys from back in the day. In short, there will be no shortage of interesting stuff.

See you on the 9th!
tygaboy
As you enter our lane and pass the first house, WATCH OUT FOR THE SPEED BUMP!!
There are also a couple REALLY BIG pot holes on the right side, just in front of the bump.

In my 914, I put my driver side tire just off the left edge of the bump and I make it over just fine.

But don't say you weren't warned!
JamesJ
Hi Chris,
Quick update. Three of us will be attending...each with our own cars. Looking forward to it!
jcd914
I'll be driving my 914 in from Sacramento, about 2 hrs.
I have not driven this 914 that far yet, so it will be a test of both me and the 914.

Anyone else driving in from my direction?

Jim
Cairo94507
Yes, HB and I are meeting up at the IKEA somewhere near Sacramento and then going from there. I sent you a PM.

Thanks,
Michael
rgalla9146

This thread has pictures of two cars with American Racing Torque Thrust wheels !
I'd love to attend, looks like an awsome event.
The travel time is an issue.
willieg
Chris
I wish I could make it. Your generosity towards me and others has always been astounding. Godspeed.
jcd914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 8 2022, 05:40 AM) *

Yes, HB and I are meeting up at the IKEA somewhere near Sacramento and then going from there. I sent you a PM.

Thanks,
Michael

This sounds great, IKEA is only about 20 minutes from my house.

Planning a straight run out 80 to 37?
I had looked at going out of Woodland out past Lake Berryessa but it adds an hour.

I'll send my cell phone number via PM.

Jim
RoadGlue
Just saw this. I'll try to make it for at least a few hours. @markhoward - I'd love that wheel if you're coming up.

Thanks Chris!
Cairo94507
For anyone coming out of the Sacramento area, we will be meeting at the McDonald's at 700 Ikea Court, W Sacramento at 0700. We will leave for Petaluma after the appropriate amount of BS'ing. beerchug.gif
SirAndy
Chris,
Thanks for hosting and for your hard work making that hood vent!

And thanks to everyone else who came out ...
piratenanner.gif
markhoward
Had a fun time at the Red Barn seeing all the peeps and 914’s. Chris as always, was a fine host and chomping at the bit to jump in on a project with some meat on it. The mood was more of a meet and greet which was fine in itself. Luckily, Sir Andy came through with a viable project. After some back and forth and bouncing around of ideas, the plasma table came to life, rendering a hood-mounted oil cooler exit grille that is all business. I was supposed to be on photo duty and I thought I was ok until I looked at my phone and realized I only had a few from when I first got there. Others who snapped pics please post them so I don’t look like a complete slacker. Seriously, thank you Chris for having us today. I think everyone had a great time!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
This was just a terrific day- I think the final count was 13 914's! Not bad for a little gathering at the Red Barn. Chris is a terrific host and I thank him as always for all he does. Robert stopped and grabbed a couple pies from Costco and that was well received.

Got to spend the day talking with people who all share the same passion and it was a blast.

All in, I think it was a 250 mile day for me and my car performed great. I love the new brakes and especially loved that with the correct heater lever in the car (floor) I was able to turn the heat off. That made the whole drive a whole lot less like being slow baked at 325.

Truly a fun day and thanks again to Chris for hosting all of us and opening up his shop. Watching how the sausage is made (SirAndy's hood vent) was very cool.

Now, let's talk about the trip to Petaluma. HB with the beautiful '75 copper 914 with white interior met me and Jim, with the pretty dark blue 914. Both Jim and HB are just starting to drive their cars and letting the leash get longer with each trip. Both their cars performed flawlessly and it was fun caravanning to Petaluma.

Chris' driveway looked like a Crayon ad with all the colors well represented. Thanks everyone for a fun gathering.
markhoward
Michael, nice camara work snapping that hawk as it took a flyby!
tygaboy
Mid-morning, our 85 year-old next door neighbor called my wife and asked if we were celebrating Easter early, what with all those "easter egg" cars!
Boy, oh BOY that was a fun day. Can I just say how lucky we are to have such a great community! A random collection of people, each as interesting and entertaining as the next.

Thanks to all who were able to attend. As we all know, it's great guests that make a great party. Thanks for a GREAT party! We need to do this again soon.

Now, The Easter Egg cars!
tygaboy
A '72 S Targa and a '58 Speedster. Yep, that how we roll at the Red Barn. shades.gif
tygaboy
I was getting a little nervous that I wouldn't be able to waste material and do things three times when our very own @SirAndy Andy asked for help with a hood vent for his 3.6 monster.
A fun little project, and one in which Andy had close encounter of the TygaBoy kind. lol-2.gif
Attempt 1: We measured his current hood vent. We went through the process of leveraging my hood vent bendy vane design and worked up the CAD drawing for his vent. Then we cut the panel... Huh. How'd that happen? It was too big.
Attempt 2: Oh, of course, that's why it's too big! Let's change this and that, etc. Back to CAD, update, edit, save. Generate the G-code, cut the part. Hmmmmm. Oops, forgot about how rivets in that location wouldn't clear the ducting (that was sitting right there...! Duh.)
Attempt 3: To quote Bullwinkle, "This time, for SURE!" And it was!
Hey, it wouldn't be a day at the Red Barn without multiple versions. happy11.gif
But it all ended well and Andy left with a cool new vent panel. Yes, this is 18ga steel and we agreed that once he's sure he's happy with the design/performance, he'll be back and we'll cut the final version in aluminum.
Again, a fun project and a nice result.
Let's start with the part I found most riveting. lol-2.gif
tygaboy
This pic doesn't do justice to how cool (pun intended) the view is when you look through the vent and down into the ducting. Remnant Sharpie marks aside, this is Full Race, baby! aktion035.gif
tygaboy
Big thanks to Robert @buddyV for the pizza lunch! You're the best, my friend!
And your car looked the best I've ever seen it! Even the tires were cleaned...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.