Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxster caliper upgrade
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dwillouby
Hi
I am upgrading to the Boxster calipers. According to Rich Johnson I need the 24mm rotors on the front. I have the recommended 20mm on the rear. I currently have fairly new 20mm Zimmerman front rotors now. Havent tried installing the calipers yet but wonder if I can just stay with the 20mm front rotors? Or just spend more money?

David
914Sixer
Not sure, but off the top of my head but I think the offset is different on the rotor hat. Let some one else chime in.
Steve
QUOTE(dwillouby @ Mar 25 2022, 07:50 AM) *

Hi
I am upgrading to the Boxster calipers. According to Rich Johnson I need the 24mm rotors on the front. I have the recommended 20mm on the rear. I currently have fairly new 20mm Zimmerman front rotors now. Havent tried installing the calipers yet but wonder if I can just stay with the 20mm front rotors? Or just spend more money?

David

IIRC the 24mm are much thicker. I don’t think the calipers will adjust for the difference. It will be obvious when you bolt them on. I did the upgrade like 20 years ago with Rich Johnson adapters.
BillJ
My advice is get the right rotors. A few hundred bucks for the most important safety system in the car is a no brainer.
dwillouby
QUOTE(BillJ @ Mar 25 2022, 08:01 AM) *

My advice is get the right rotors. A few hundred bucks for the most important safety system in the car is a no brainer.

I agree I will just get the correct rotors. Thanks for the input.

David
dwillouby
QUOTE(BillJ @ Mar 25 2022, 08:01 AM) *

I agree I will just get the correct rotors. Thanks for the input.

David
SirAndy
Also, just fyi, the 24mm rear rotors require some machining on the RJ adapters, otherwise the calipers won't be centered over the rotors.

See my post here for more info:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=170890

popcorn[1].gif
dwillouby
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 25 2022, 08:37 AM) *

Also, just fyi, the 24mm rear rotors require some machining on the RJ adapters, otherwise the calipers won't be centered over the rotors.

See my post here for more info:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=170890

popcorn[1].gif

Hi Andy,
I have the 20mm rotors on the rear. Rich stated that I need 24mm for the front. I currently have 20mm on the front and believe I will need the front 24mm rotors?
SirAndy
QUOTE(dwillouby @ Mar 25 2022, 08:45 AM) *
Hi Andy,
I have the 20mm rotors on the rear. Rich stated that I need 24mm for the front. I currently have 20mm on the front and believe I will need the front 24mm rotors?

Yes, that is all correct. 24mm in the front, 20mm in the rear is the normal setup.

I'm just pointing out that if you have/want 24mm on all 4 corners (like i did) you will need to machine the rear adapters to offset the rear calipers by 2mm so they will be centered over the rear rotor.
bye1.gif
mepstein
20 mm is SC and 24mm is Carrera. You do need the right size rotors to make the system work.
roblav1
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 25 2022, 11:03 AM) *

20 mm is SC and 24mm is Carrera. You do need the right size rotors to make the system work.

Exactly!
Chris914n6
Technically you can use 20mm rotors, but when you get to the end of pad life and forgot you started with -2mm and the pistons extend past the seal and the brakes fail you will wish you had spent the $100 on 24mm rotors.
dwillouby
Thanks all,

Ordered the rotors from PMB today.

David
robkammer
Holy smokes! My Boxster has the best braking of any car I've owned. Can't wait to hear how well the 'Whoa' pedal works for you when you're running.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.