Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Depinning Bosch fuel injection connectors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steuspeed
I'm replacing all the rubber boots on my FI connectors. I made these tools out of windshield wiper blade metal strips. I got about half the pins out by depressing the stop tab in the slot above the pin. The rest are not budging. I read on a Rennlist board that the the other side of the female pin could be digging in the plastic. I'll try and see if I can verify if the pin slot is smooth all the way through.

Edit: It is smooth all the way through. The plug side is not catching.

Any tips?
Anyone know where to source replacement connectors?
Geezer914
I purchased the boots, pins and connectors on eBay as a kit. Around $18 for a set of 4.
914Mels
Rock auto has the connectors fairly cheap. I forget how they are listed in the online catalogue. The connectors come apart pretty easy. put the tool you made in from the injector end and push the tab down that sticks up on the back side. There is a small slot in the plastic. If the tool you made is too wide, try a paper clip.
steuspeed
QUOTE(914Mels @ Mar 27 2022, 12:47 PM) *

Rock auto has the connectors fairly cheap. I forget how they are listed in the online catalogue. The connectors come apart pretty easy. put the tool you made in from the injector end and push the tab down that sticks up on the back side. There is a small slot in the plastic. If the tool you made is too wide, try a paper clip.

Found it under electrical connector.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/porsche...+connector,2577

If you look at my tool. you will see that I ground down one edge to get the width right for the slot.
914Mels
Look kind of thick to push in, I'd grind em down at least half, the tab your pushing down is very thin and bends flat with very little force.
steuspeed
So 3 out of 8 pins I could not get out with my home made tools. I drilled a 3/16" hole in the top of the FI injector plastic connector. Then I could depress the stop tab down with my tool. You want to drill this just in front of the spot where the tab catches. Then I could press the tab straight down and get the female connector out. One tab was bent 180 degrees back. No tool was going to get that one out.
steuspeed
You can see the top connector is bent 180 degrees back. It was never coming out. It should look like the lower connector.
steuspeed
QUOTE(914Mels @ Mar 28 2022, 05:11 PM) *

Look kind of thick to push in, I'd grind em down at least half, the tab your pushing down is very thin and bends flat with very little force.

It does not bend that easily because it is so small and both my tools fit the slot well and have different shapes to manipulate the tab.
steuspeed
duplicate
JeffBowlsby
The tang bears on the end wall (ledge) of the cavity. To avoid bending the tang, it is very important if not essential to push the wire and terminal forward in the housing first to separate the tang from bearing on the ledge, and then insert the probe to depress the tang.
914Mels
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Mar 31 2022, 12:25 AM) *

You can see the top connector is bent 180 degrees back. It was never coming out. It should look like the lower connector.

Who ever bent that one was going in from the wire end of the plastic housing.
JeffBowlsby
More likely it was just removed by pulling it out by the wire.
steuspeed
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Mar 31 2022, 12:17 PM) *

More likely it was just removed by pulling it out by the wire.

I doubt these have ever been apart before. I probably pulled on the wire hard enough and managed to roll the tab over. Then, it was never coming out until I drilled the hole.

Very helpful diagram Jeff.

Is there a polarity on the injector wires? I'm pretty sure I assembled them back the same. Just curious.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Mar 31 2022, 01:38 PM) *

Is there a polarity on the injector wires? I'm pretty sure I assembled them back the same. Just curious.

Not. Not the injectors.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.