Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7L carb fuel supply
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tewfiks
Hello All,

this is my first of many questions as I embark on getting my 1973 914 back on the road. I purchased the car from a friend who said it ran great before his voltage regulator began giving him issues. I was storing the car for several years for him before buying it. I know would like to see it running again.

It is a 73 1.7L with dual webers. The fuel tank was cleaned and out of the car. I went to reinstall the tank and replace the rubber lines when I noticed that both the fuel outlets on the bottom of the tank were capped off . I can not locate fuel pipe for the line to attach to the tank. I have also been told that I only need the supply line and can cap off the return line of the original fuel injection set up.

Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Where can I source the fuel pipes and nuts? Auto Atlanta does not have them currently.

Thanks
Shivers
If you are going to stay with carbs you can cap off the return and just use the supply. Post up here in the classifieds WTD, and keep bumping it up till one of the fella's takes pity and hunts one down for you. Good luck
SirAndy
If you are in there anyways, although technically not needed, carbs do benefit from having a working return line.

It helps keeping the fuel in the bowls cooler and prevents heat soak and possible hot start issues.
popcorn[1].gif
PCH
I have carbs and a return. Sometimes on start (letting the fuel pump run before the starter), I can hear bubbles come through the line. Not sure if the fuel return prevents vapor lock but I think it would.
930cabman
There are pluses and minuses to having a return line. I have been running my 1985 Alfa spider (Weber carbs) without a return line for many years and never had a concern.
SirAndy
QUOTE(930cabman @ Mar 29 2022, 04:54 PM) *

There are pluses and minuses to having a return line. I have been running my 1985 Alfa spider (Weber carbs) without a return line for many years and never had a concern.

What are the minuses?
idea.gif
brant
I know this is an age old debate.
but I still fall on the side or always recommending a return.

it helps.
and there is a reason all car manufacturers use a return line
or they wouldn't bother to spend the extra money.

cooler fuel
a potential for a very minor hp increase
less vapor lock.

Shivers
Well, I don't know about Tewfiks, but I'm convinced. Adding a return back in.
rhodyguy
The chassis side of the line connections are about where the center tunnel is. Both lines run through the tunnel. Look for a rubber block with 2 holes in the cabin firewall. You should see it with the tank out. Where did the fuel line run when you bought the car? I have carbs and no return. Only time I've experienced hot fuel is when the heat soak has set in when parked. Still starts and light feathering until cooler fuel is in the bowls. Never any sort of vapor lock. YRMV.
jasons
How do you plumb the return? Fuel tank feed to carb 1 (through a pump), 2 way banjo to carb 2 using another 2 way banjo for the return?
Tewfiks
The way the car is set up currently is with NO return lines to the tank. Only a fuel line for the fuel filter and fuel pump and routing through the center channel of the body.
rhodyguy
While you're in there...consider putting stainless steel fuel lines in the center tunnel. If you don't care about a return line, just cap it for future use. I did not do that but wish I had when it was all apart.
wonkipop
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 29 2022, 02:02 PM) *

If you are in there anyways, although technically not needed, carbs do benefit from having a working return line.

It helps keeping the fuel in the bowls cooler and prevents heat soak and possible hot start issues.
popcorn[1].gif

agree.

got a real life situation with that.
even with L jet and a return line.
have a cut down bulb on the bottom of the tank due to rhd.
when tank goes down, though it might be reading a quarter, i believe its a lot less.
and a super hot day down here, which is pretty hot, i can get to the point where even recirculating fuel warms enough after a while its starts messing with the pump due to the hot line just before the pump. temp rises in fuel in that section to critical point. and the idle starts hunting.

solution, go to gas station and fill tank well past 1/2.
fuel in tank becomes big enough heat sink.
problem goes away until next super hot day and low tank.

doesn't happen in winter.

live somewhere hot, have a return line.
maybe you can get away without one in the arctic or northern USA where it never gets hot even in summer. stirthepot.gif

Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(jasons @ Mar 30 2022, 10:05 AM) *

How do you plumb the return? Fuel tank feed to carb 1 (through a pump), 2 way banjo to carb 2 using another 2 way banjo for the return?

popcorn[1].gif
jasons
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Mar 30 2022, 07:04 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Right? drunk.gif
Shivers
QUOTE(jasons @ Mar 30 2022, 07:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Mar 30 2022, 07:04 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Right? drunk.gif

That is how I will do it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.