Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flipping the engine while in the stand.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74ravenna
I'm in the process of putting everything back onto my 1.8 long block.
Problem is, when I try to work on the bottom of the engine by scooching down or using a creeper I end up getting dizzy and nauseous as a result of post-concussion syndrome.

I'm thinking of flipping the engine over 180 degrees while it's on the stand.

It would be so much easier to install parts that way. Especially the Heat Exchangers. Those are a pain in the butt to do upside down. Trying to put the gasket in place, then the exchanger, then the washer and then trying to catch the nut is not fun upside down, especially since I don't have much feeling in my pinky and ring finger on my right hand due to a Ulnar Nerve issue (and I'm right handed)!

Anyway, is it difficult to flip the engine?
Can any harm be done to the engine by having it upside down?

Thanks in advance.
mepstein
It should flip easily. That’s one of the reasons for a stand.

It’s much easier to install and remove heat exchangers when the engine is upside down in a stand. No harm to the engine.
74ravenna
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 7 2022, 03:13 PM) *

It should flip easily. That’s one of the reasons for a stand.

It’s much easier to install and remove heat exchangers when the engine is upside down in a stand. No harm to the engine.

Excellent! That should make things so much easier.

Thanks.
Joe Bob
Not a problem unless there is oil in the crank case..... blink.gif
BK911
Can your engine spin on the stand with HX installed?
PanelBilly
I installed my headers on the engine when it was upside down and then discovered I couldn't turn it over because the headers hit the arm on the stand. Had to take one side off and flip it over. It was one of those times I had to laugh out loud at muself for the stupidly.
nditiz1
QUOTE(BK911 @ Apr 7 2022, 03:34 PM) *

If you got 2 extra pistons you can biggrin.gif
bkrantz
I hope flipping the engine is OK. I probably rotated mine at least 100 times while building it. aktion035.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(BK911 @ Apr 7 2022, 06:34 PM) *

@BK911

I could not spin the engine after installing the heat exchangers when buttoning up the engine. I thought about installing the HEs after assembly but didn't want to work upside down on the engine. So it took 3 of us to hold onto the long block + HEs to remove it from the stand and put it on a furniture dolly for final assembly.
74ravenna
QUOTE(Joe Bob @ Apr 7 2022, 04:47 PM) *

Thanks Joe Bob. Member #5 with over 17,000 posts....impressive!

QUOTE(BK911 @ Apr 7 2022, 06:34 PM) *

I never thought of that. This is why I asked the question, to head off any problems I hadn't thought of, and that's a problem!

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 7 2022, 08:37 PM) *

I installed my headers on the engine when it was upside down and then discovered I couldn't turn it over because the headers hit the arm on the stand. Had to take one side off and flip it over. It was one of those times I had to laugh out loud at muself for the stupidly.

I've been laughing at myself a lot lately......and swearing.
barefoot

Yes, can install 1 H/E with engine fully upside down, then can do the 2nd one with engine partially tilted on stand, better than working fully upside down.
barefoot

Yes, can install 1 H/E with engine fully upside down, then can do the 2nd one with engine partially tilted on stand, better than working fully upside down.
bdstone914
QUOTE(74ravenna @ Apr 7 2022, 11:45 AM) *

Problem is, when I try to work on the bottom of the engine by scooching down or using a creeper I end up getting dizzy and nauseous as a result of post-concussion syndrome.

It would be so much easier to install parts that way. Especially the Heat Exchangers. Those are a pain in the butt to do upside down. Trying to put the gasket in place, then the exchanger, then the washer and then trying to catch the nut is not fun upside down, especially since I don't have much feeling in my pinky and ring finger on my right hand due to a Ulnar Nerve issue (and I'm right handed)!

Thanks in advance.

@74ravenna

It depends on the stand. It it only attaches to the top two points on the case it can bend the yoke when flipped. It happened to me. Was a cheap yoke. I rotate them 90 degrees to install the heat exchangers.

I pinch the copper gaskets slightly out of round so the stay in place and use flanged nuts rather than washers
74ravenna
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 8 2022, 10:04 AM) *

QUOTE(74ravenna @ Apr 7 2022, 11:45 AM) *

Thanks in advance.

@74ravenna

It depends on the stand. It it only attaches to the top two points on the case it can bend the yoke when flipped. It happened to me. Was a cheap yoke. I rotate them 90 degrees to install the heat exchangers.

I pinch the copper gaskets slightly out of round so the stay in place and use flanged nuts rather than washers

90 degrees is certainly better than where it's at now.
I did buy some flanged nuts for this task....thanks.

Are folks annealing the copper washers or using any type of sealant?
930cabman
QUOTE(Joe Bob @ Apr 7 2022, 02:47 PM) *

Ditto to Joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.