Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB Fuel Tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Mowog4
I am looking for a fuel tank, preferably in the Phoenix area. Any help is appreciated.
Ed
Steve
Why buy a 50 year old rusted used one, when you can buy a new one.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/9142...pAaAjghEALw_wcB
Shop around I have seen them cheaper.
Mowog4
QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 10 2022, 05:36 PM) *

Why buy a 50 year old rusted used one, when you can buy a new one.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/9142...pAaAjghEALw_wcB
Shop around I have seen them cheaper.

Didn’t realize they were available. Thanks, I’ll order one
brant
I have a clean one in Colorado for sale
Complete with a fuel sender and the connector pipes

I can find pictures if you want
914Sixer
$229 at PartsGeek.
mgphoto
Specify early or late, early has a bracket for the charcoal canister, late does not, you don’t want to weld a bracket on a gas tank.
Robarabian
QUOTE(Mowog4 @ Apr 10 2022, 04:28 PM) *

I am looking for a fuel tank, preferably in the Phoenix area. Any help is appreciated.
Ed

@mm1 you want to chine in here on your research?
MM1
Just bought a new Dansk tank (up to 1973).

As stated above, if you plan on installing the expansion tank and charcoal canister, you need to know whether you need an early or late tank.

AutoAtlanta has the correct pictures on their website which show the different bracketry for early and late tanks.

Dansk's first 914 fuel tank reproductions do not have the correct bracketry for either generation (Partsgeek's photos showed the "generic" tank when I checked a few weeks ago). Thankfully, Dr. Hussey told me he sent them proper examples and new production has been corrected.

If you don't care about the brackets the Partsgeek is the cheapest . . .however . . .

Two of the suppliers (Partsgeek being one - I won't mention the other) weren't even aware of the facts above. Partsgeek couldn't check their stock, and the other supplier (NOT Pelican) did check for me and found that they had one of the "generic" tanks.

I ultimately purchased from AA - the first (correct) tank arrived damaged from Empi (the SoCal dropshipper for Dansk tanks), but the second was fine.

With the oversized shipping clause at AA, I did not know the total charge (tank+tax+shipping) until approximately a week after the purchase. Dr. Hussey and his staff were very helpful with my first large purchase from them (I ordered more than the tank). Thank you to AutoAtlanta (and Empi)!

Pelican's price (around $300) included shipping (I believe) and may have ultimately been approximately $15 cheaper than AA . . .but I didn't check (read "grill") with them in order to definitively determine whether their tanks had the proper brackets (the box would have to be opened prior to shipping).

MM1
Pelican's tank pictures do not appear to show the correct brackets.

Due diligence required here.

If I had another 4 hours+ to blow on this (about what I have into it jumping in cold), I'd help you out.

You should be able to shave 3 hours off that with the points mentioned above - good luck!

You can have my old rusty one for free - but I guess you already have a few of those - lol
jims914
QUOTE(MM1 @ Apr 11 2022, 12:37 PM) *

Pelican's tank picture do not appear to show the correct brackets.

Due diligence required here.

If I had another 4 hours+ to blow on this (about what I have into it jumping in cold), I'd help you out.

You should be able to shave 3 hours off that with the points mentioned above - good luck!

You can have my old rusty one for free - but I guess you already have a few of those - lol

I have a nice late clean one in Tempe, AZ
$125.00
Mowog4
I ordered the late model tank from AA, expect it this week. Thanks for the help.
BillJ
Also be aware that, unless it has been corrected, the rib that runs on the top is a little too tall for the plastic tank strap guide and will crack it when you tighten the strap. You can either cut a small channel in the guide or grind some material off the rib. I have a thread here on my install.
MM1
I just installed a pre-1974 fuel tank that was dropped shipped from Empi through Auto Atlanta.

The exterior finish was not perfect but all the brackets were correct.

There was no modification necessary to accommodate the OEM plastic bridge for the tank strap.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.