Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing/Reinstalling Rear Axles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dunc
I tried searching for this item on the site, but did not find anything specific enough.

I want to remove the rear axles and replace them with some high performance axles/CVs. The Haynes and the Porsche Factory Manual indicate that removal includes driving the axle out of the swing arm. Must that be done in order to replace just the axles/CVs? It seems that merely removing the bolts at both inboard and outboard flanges should do the job. What am I missing?
Shivers
No. There are bolts like what you see on the cv by the trans, on the outer cv.
Optimusglen
QUOTE(Shivers @ Apr 18 2022, 12:38 PM) *

No. There are bolts like what you see on the cv by the trans, on the outer cv.

Right, there are bolts on the outer end identical to the inner end.

One thing to take note of, the lock washers are one-time use. It's important to source new lock washers for all CV bolts, make sure the surfaces are clean and dry when reassembling, and torque to spec.
914werke
Thats the hard way.
Its easier to remove the .5 shaft complete.
Dunc
Thanks you guys. I appreciate the help. Maybe take a shot at removal this weekend.

Dunc
mgphoto
QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 18 2022, 06:03 PM) *

Thats the hard way.
Its easier to remove the .5 shaft complete.

This is much easier, remove the castle nut, very difficult to remove the cv from stub axle on the wheel side while in the car.
bdstone914
You may need to lower the control arm on the drivers to clear the starter. Remove the top nut on the shock to drop the trailing arm as needed.
Van B
What on earth are high performance axles for a 914? Are they painted red or something??
Dunc
QUOTE(Van B @ Apr 19 2022, 03:27 PM) *

What on earth are high performance axles for a 914? Are they painted red or something??

Ha. I hear ya! The car is Renegade conversion to a sb chev engine. It is my understanding that the CV's are the weak point in the drive train. So this is the mod I am making now until I update the entire drive train sometime in the future.
Dunc
QUOTE(Van B @ Apr 19 2022, 03:27 PM) *

Ha. I hear ya! The car is Renegade conversion to a sb chev engine. It is my understanding that the CV's are the weak point in the drive train. So this is the mod I am making now until I update the entire drive train sometime in the future.
Van B
Ah, yeah I get it now lol!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.