Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Plane crash at Toronto (Pearson) airport
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
Burning on the side of the 401...overshot the runway in a lightning storm.

Could be 200 on board...hope it's not too bad. unsure.gif

That's all I know...Canadians tune into CBC news for details.
Mark Henry
Air France flight 358
spare time toys
My moto if it aint a Boeing I aint going. I WILL NOT get on a scare bus fly by wire is DUMB OK for the military but not comercial A/C screwy.gif . I hope not too many hurt or worse sad.gif
rhodyguy
micro bursts are equal opportunity distroyers. they showed the weather radar at the time of the crash. little yellow lots of orange and red.

k
smg914
They're reporting there were no fatalities. That's tremendous!!!!!
SirAndy
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Aug 2 2005, 02:34 PM)
if it aint a Boeing I aint going.  I WILL NOT get on a scare bus.
bs.gif

looks like they all got out ...
huh.gif Andy
xitspd
For 14 years I spent 6 months a year outside the USA traveling. I regularly changed my schedule flight if the equipment was a Airbus 300 series. Very poor safety record!
spare time toys
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Aug 2 2005, 04:48 PM)
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Aug 2 2005, 02:34 PM)
if it aint a Boeing I aint going.  I WILL NOT get on a scare bus.
bs.gif

looks like they all got out ...
huh.gif Andy

I have worked on Airbus and Boeing and I will not get on an Airbus. Remember the airshow when the 340 first came out? Low level pass infront of the crowd Capt. gasses it to go around the computers wanted to land He could not override the computer it stayed at the same altitude and it went into the trees. On Boeing you have cables going out to flight controlls not a little wire going to a servo screwy.gif We are going to FADEC [fly by wire motors] fuel controlls on our newer A/C but still have good old cables going to primary flight elements.
Mueller
I thought the 777 was all fly-by-wire??
SirAndy
QUOTE (xitspd @ Aug 2 2005, 03:00 PM)
Very poor safety record!

"The A300-600, which entered service in 1984, is used by 27 airlines. At the end of last month 242 planes were operated by airlines.
The latest crash brings the number of Airbus crashes in the last 13 years to 12, but as one plane takes off every 10 seconds, its safety record is good."

i smell a flame-war ...
happy11.gif Andy
rhodyguy
to include a wto grievance and subsidy brawl. i'm staying out of it.

k
Randal
i smell a flame-war ...

Don't worry you have big enough boots. smile.gif
SpecialK
I don't work on commercial aircraft (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night rolleyes.gif ), but the main purpose of fly-by-wire control in fighter aircraft is because they're inherently unstable designs. No chance of a fighter pilot keeping it under control without it. Not so with commercial aircraft. So I'm with Larry on this one, total FBW control is a bad idea.

[totally unbiased Boeing employee opinion] wink.gif
LongARM
CNN says"hit by lightning.."..fried by wire.. ohmy.gif

ot/ ??? what is the Bioshere III buzzard..???
SpecialK
QUOTE (LongARM @ Aug 2 2005, 04:52 PM)
CNN says"hit by lightning.."..fried by wire.. ohmy.gif

ot/ ??? what is the Bioshere III buzzard..???

Kind of like a man-made reef for fish......except the '75 provides a sheltered breeding ground for mice, squirrels, a couple of varieties of birds, hundreds of spiders and biting/stinging insects, a family of skunks icon8.gif , a big ugly 'possum [recently evicted], and a racoon that startled the living shit out of me ohmy.gif when I lifted the tarp to see if the suspension consoles were worth cutting off.......nope headbang.gif .

Diversity and harmony all in 40 cubic feet.

Which reminds me....I've got to pull the tranny out of it for my '74. Time to break out the bug bombs and .22..........."Cover me boys, I'm goin' in!" gunner.gif
SpecialK
Sorry about, the hijacked.gif

Glad it wasn't a real tragedy!
LongARM
ok thanx ....thought maybe it was solar or hydrogen or hellium .....ha burnout.gif burnout.gif

cool_shades.gif
michel richard
I fly into that airport several times a month. A couple of weeks ago my flight was stuck on the ground in Montreal for a couple of hours because of bad weather there. Was a little pissed at the time (only a little). Now I truly understand. Glad everybody got out.
Dunno if I'll see any wreckage next time in Toronto.
Michel Richard
airsix
Fly by wire also prevents the pilot from overstressing the airframe (easy to do to an airliner at higher speeds) or inducing accelerated stalls. Both designs have their benefits and dissadvantages.

-Ben M.
SpecialK
QUOTE (airsix @ Aug 2 2005, 05:24 PM)
Fly by wire also prevents the pilot from overstressing the airframe (easy to do to an airliner at higher speeds) or inducing accelerated stalls.  Both designs have their benefits and dissadvantages.

-Ben M.

I don't know about that Ben. That's exactly what brought down the Airbus in NY. They hit the wash of an earlier launch, yawed, over corrected, and busted the tail off. sad.gif
JWest
This is kind of a fuel injection vs. carbs type debate, but I'll get in anyway (I'd be pretty surprised if anyone here knows more than me about digital flight control systems).

We (the areospace industry) have been flying with "electric jets" since the 914 was still in production.

Basically, a fly by wire system allows aerodynamic designs that are impossible for a mechanical system to control. Beyond that, the system can be extremely pilot friendly with angle of attack limiters, different control laws for various parts of the flight envelope, control surface mixing, etc., etc., etc....

BUT, it also allows the designer to really screw up if the design philosophy or testing is misguided (the airbus "I won't let you do a low level pass" is an example of something that should have never made it into the control laws, and definitely should not have made it past the first test software release.
J P Stein
According to a news report, a passengers said the lights in the aircraft went out about a minute before touchdown.

I can see it now. The thing gets hit by lightning. The pilot lands & hits the thrust reversers. The puter says. "I'm sorry, you cannot use thrust reversers at 30,000 ft"
The pilot says "Eh?"

Pilot error, of course.
Howard
The real story...
SpecialK
QUOTE (Howard @ Aug 2 2005, 06:14 PM)
The real story...

lol2.gif clap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.