Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '75 1.8 "Stutters" After Fuel Tank/Lines Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rick986
Local shop replaced the tank & lines last fall to try and eliminate fuel smell in cabin (which cut it down...but didn't eliminate it completely). But now the car "stutters" every once in awhile while accelerating...kinda like it's gasping for fuel. Not always, just every now & then. Car has original FI. Thoughts? Thanks!
brant
I've pinched a fuel line before when putting the tank back into the car
especially a hazard if you leave the lines a little longer under the tank

could be a possiblity.
you would want to drain the majority of the tank and pull it again to check
might be able to see through the access hole under the tank if you pull the skid pan
but probably can't see everything.
Van B
fuel smell is almost certainly your carbon canister. you just need to get some activated carbon pellets from a pet store and refill it.

regarding the stutter, where is your fuel pump and what size lines did they install?

Edit: also what @brant said.
willieg
Also what Brandt said. It is so easy to kink the fuel lines putting the fuel tank in.
brant
your car likely has the front "blister" for the factory updated front fuel pump

I put that into my 1974

now when I pull the tank.... I open the blister... pull all of the extra fuel line out the hole...
then drop the tank and try to reach into the blister hole and put or lay the fuel line into place under the tank
rhodyguy
Done right, the longer hose off of a roll will naturally coil in the fuel well and not bind or pinch. Mine is long enough to pull the tank out while still attached. No return line.
Root_Werks
Already been said, you likely have a pinch or two in the soft lines. It's easy to do and hard to verify once the tank is installed.
Rick986
Thanks Guys! They may need to pull the tank anyway as the fuel gauge stopped working after replacement. I'm sure they know how to fix it...but would appreciate any thoughts on that here...
brant
check the wire plug on top
its just under the filler neck... visible without disassembly

not sure what else...
wiring sounds most likely if it was working before.
Van B
yeah making sure it's plugged in and not hanging behind the fuel tank is a good step one.

It seems to have been bypassed in the responses so, I'll say it again. It doesn't make sense to me to replace a tank and fuel lines for a fuel smell unless the evap system was certified fresh.
Rick986
QUOTE(Van B @ May 3 2022, 10:42 AM) *

yeah making sure it's plugged in and not hanging behind the fuel tank is a good step one.

It seems to have been bypassed in the responses so, I'll say it again. It doesn't make sense to me to replace a tank and fuel lines for a fuel smell unless the evap system was certified fresh.

"Evap System"?

I replaced the tank because the PO put some crappy coating on the last one after a "refresh". I wanted an "as new" look. I'll check for that wire now. Thanks for your feedback...
Rick986
QUOTE(Van B @ May 3 2022, 09:49 AM) *

fuel smell is almost certainly your carbon canister. you just need to get some activated carbon pellets from a pet store and refill it.

regarding the stutter, where is your fuel pump and what size lines did they install?

Also... it's not the canister. I replaced the charcoal when I got the car. I believe it's working as designed.
Van B
If your canister and lines are in good health and connected appropriately for your MY, then that should prevent any fuel smell except those from a fuel leak.
Here's a recent thread covering the connections through the years:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=359181
brant
I had a fuel smell in the past that only went away with a fuel cap gasket. And also a new gasket under the filler extension on the tank
StarBear
QUOTE(brant @ May 3 2022, 02:47 PM) *

I had a fuel smell in the past that only went away with a fuel cap gasket. And also a new gasket under the filler extension on the tank

agree.gif Cheap and easy.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Rick986 @ May 3 2022, 11:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Van B @ May 3 2022, 09:49 AM) *

Also... it's not the canister. I replaced the charcoal when I got the car. I believe it's working as designed.

...but the small vapor line from the tank to the canister in the engine bay could be worth checking.

i don't think it would be a canister in a 75 as a source of fuel smell in cabin.
maybe an earlier car with a can in front, but not a 75 with can in engine bay.

that vapor line is also the fuel tank venting system line to equalise air pressure and prevent a vacuum building up in tank. the engine gasping thing much more likely to be a pinched main fuel line however as suggested above. you will be able to check it all when you pull the tank. the small vent line runs through the tunnel and up to the expansion tank.

even a curve of a hose that is too tight a radius can cause small problems from time to time though it might not looked pinched. the curves the hose assumes need to be reasonably relaxed.
r_towle
Remove the front pan under the tank.
There is a 4 inch diameter hole you can look through.
Using a phone camera on video you should be able to see the fuel lines to determine if they are pinched.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.