Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two holes at front edge of PS floor ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
My ‘72 has two small holes, at the front part of the passenger’s side floor… they look factory and are approx 3/8” or so & spaced approx 8-9” apart.

I can not figure out what these are for and was hoping someone could shed light on it, before I weld them shut - and end up wishing I hadn’t.

Literati914
Could these two holes be related to an A/C install? They’re on the floor as mentioned but confused24.gif

ClayPerrine
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Shivers
I went out and looked at my 72', it still has the sound material, but I saw nothing bolted to the floor inside or out.
Literati914
I went out and unloaded the right side of my other ‘72 (using it to store parts for the moment)… and it too has these holes and they are plugged with a small rubber ..plug. The plugs are flat on the interior side and a wide short point on the outside. I’m sure My original plugs are gone now.. I’ll double check, but I may need a couple. Here’s a pic:

markhoward
My 72 has them as well. They were covered by the tar and there was no plug or anything similar.

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
My 75 doesn't have them, maybe for the foot rest on early cars?
jrmdir
Early cars with fixed passenger seats had adjustable foot rests, didn't they?

I've never seen one, but were they bolted to the floor? Perhaps the stamping tooling was not changed until later?

EDIT: Sorry Root Werks, I didn't see your prior similar suggestion.

Ron
Cairo94507
No adjustable footrest I have ever seen in any 914 unless you are talking about the "dog bone" that just sat on the floor for the passenger to use if they chose. beerchug.gif
doug_b_928
For some additional info see here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...holes&st=20

I recently asked Mark about these and he indicated he is looking into making the correct plugs (as well as the plus for the frunk). @mikey914
Mikey914
Yes, I've checked 3 of my cars so far and can't find a decent one yet. I have a few at another location I can check, so still in progress. Once I have it will be a inexpensive part.
Mark
johnhora
Checked my 70' 914-6 and it has these two holes also. Never really noticed them before.

The early foot rest/dog bone was kept from moving too far by a strap that had a clip that snapped into a D-ring that was attached via the speaker cover bottom screw.

I wonder if it's for the Webasto heater exhaust pipe....I had an early 911 with the gas heater and it had a small muffler and exhaust pipe that was bolted to the bottom of the floor board on the passenger side....
From a few pictures it looks like the 914 webasto heater was placed on the driver side in the front trunk but maybe the exhaust went to the passenger side...does anyone have the 914 webasto heater installed.

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(johnhora @ May 5 2022, 01:54 PM) *
I wonder if it's for the Webasto heater exhaust pipe....I had an early 911 with the gas heater and it had a small muffler and exhaust pipe that was bolted to the bottom of the floor board on the passenger side....
From a few pictures it looks like the 914 webasto heater was placed on the driver side in the front trunk but maybe the exhaust went to the passenger side...does anyone have the 914 webasto heater installed.

@johnhora

The webasto heater was installed in the front trunk and had to have a larger exhaust hole added manually.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=8825

bye1.gif
Garland
Here’s the link to a post from 2017 with some of the answers.

Link to the mystery Holes

Click to view attachment
wonkipop
99% think it would be for AC.
DPD version.

jeff bowlsby website.
pdf of installation instructions for system if you are interested enough.
seems to show one of those holes in lhs location.
instructs for a second hole in firewall but with instruction to take care to avoid fuel tank overflow drain tube. my guess is that installers modified the installation to include second hole in floor and ran the hose in that way to avoid the issue?

https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Man10.pdf

could be confirmed by looking for other evidence of an ac install at some point in time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.