Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Hello from the Hood River Inn
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
GWN7
It's amazing what quick service you get at some service stations when you come flying down the hill and pull up to their front door when your car is on fire. Everyone runs out with a fire extinguisher to help. ....Ya...I wish that's what happened..... One kid about 17 said "Hey Mister, your cars on fire" ....Like I didn't know that already.........asshole.... mad.gif

Picture this... plums of white smoke so thick I could hardly see the road errupting from under the dash. 200' drop into the service station over 1000'. I slam the brakes on and bail out. I should have driven it right into their service bay and then bailed out..........then mabey help........They did let me use the phone to call a tow truck. sad.gif

Tow truck drivers are like cab drivers, they get payed to wait. After visiting every place that could be thought of in the Dalles that might be able to take a look at what's left. After hearing "Hey, bubba looky at thiss....it's got a chevy (cheby second time) in it" (now spit tobacco juice) twice. A location was found that might be able to do something tomorrow. The shop owner worked for one of those Italian car comanys that people pay way too much for there cars.

Anyways.....the bar becons ....did you know Hood River is the Windsurfing Capital of North West. Watress.....more ice in my next glass.....
Howard
Which car? What happened? You OK? White smoke? Make mine a double!
morph
Really sorry to hear that, I hope you are okay. sad.gif

Hiedi
boxstr
Bruce,I got your voicemail and tried to reach you at the Les Schwab in the Dalles and then Precision Auto and then Steves Texaco,you had already left. I thought you might have gotten back on the road.
CCLINWHERESBRUCE
IVGUY
Bruce
Used to spend all my summers at the Gorge sailing. Head east to Mosier (10-12miles) A club member there has a shop and some great old Porsches to look at while your killing time. I can't remember the name of his place but if your in Mosier everbody will know where the Porsche Place is. If it windy the owner will be out sailing so best time to call is late in the day or early morning. Hope you make it back
There are more Canadians in Hood River in the summer then Americans. If your at the Hood River Inn its owned by Canadians!!All the best beer.gif
IVGUY
Bruce
Club member in Mosier is "retrotech"( Stephen) . His website is Route30classics.com
See if its in the book. Call now before you drink too much merican beer.!!!!
Dan
GWN7
QUOTE (Howard @ Aug 2 2005, 04:52 PM)
Which car? What happened? You OK? White smoke? Make mine a double!

The new car. Well new to me.

The wiring caught on fire.

I stink, but what else is new. biggrin.gif I held my breath as long as I could, plastic is nasty shit to breath.

Well more Grey than White smoke....you know the kind when all the electrisity comes out of things ....

Just singles....wait a minute...I'm not driving.....I'm going to get like Joe in Neverland tonight.

Insurance, $200 deductable, all perils, that and Blue Cross...don't leave home without it

beerchug.gif
Aaron Cox
man bruce....

shit blows uphill on a windy day.....

sorry to hear it
AA
Hawktel
Strangely enough I grew up in Hood River, and spent the first 22 years of my life there.

Yep windsurfer captial of the world, the wind blows 16 hours a day in the Gorge. If you want to excape the wind wait till 8:00 at night.

Course if you do wait till 8:00 everything in that one horse town is shut down.

My sister use to work at the Hood River Inn, and although you don't know what one is it is, you can see the house I grew up in on the hill!

Thrilling for you I'm sure.

GWN7
QUOTE (IVGUY @ Aug 2 2005, 06:20 PM)
Bruce
Club member in Mosier is "retrotech"( Stephen) . His website is Route30classics.com
See if its in the book. Call now before you drink too much merican beer.!!!!
Dan

Thanks for the info....where the car is now I think it will be ok....The shop is a out of the way place (they have to do good work to get clients) and the owner seems to actually give a shit about repairs. The other guy who works for him is a mile a minuite, no nonsence guy. I feel good about them. I will feel better when I get the bill. wink.gif

The tow bill was $235 so I think it will stay here unless they move Mosier closer. biggrin.gif
GWN7
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Aug 2 2005, 06:53 PM)
man bruce....

shit blows uphill on a windy day.....

sorry to hear it
AA

It's, "shit runs downhill and payday is every second Friday" ask any plumber..... wink.gif biggrin.gif

Get the box?

Hawk.....which house? They are all on a hill here! biggrin.gif
Hawktel
Gawd I Love Google Earth!
smooth_eddy
Well you did pick the nicest place in Oregon to break down. Be sure to stop by Brian's Pour House for a micro and good food. There is a club member sailing in HR. Her name is Ann (lil bit). Be sure to say hi if you see her. Good luck, hope you get back on the road soon. Eddy
retrotech
Bruce,

I am 5 miles away, 541 478 2525, route30classics. Exit 69. If I can be of any help, just give me a call. There are no great mechanics in Hood River, from my experience, but allot of Hot Rod V8 guys in the Dalles. The club visits my place ofter. So there is a V8 connection if you need one. I am not sure what you need, if anything. I would be glad to pick you up in my 914, and bring you out for an espresso, or ice cream, and visit. Let me know.

Stephen
IVGUY
Het Bruce
I blew the engine in a old six cylinder Chevy Van years ago and I had 2 stay in Hood River for a week while the did a rebuild. A couple of good ole boys who let me sleep in my van at night in their yard while I sailed my brains out all day. Thinking nback it was one of the best breaks ever.
Dan
rhodyguy
nomeorengingkyo. SERENITY NOW!!! it could be yakima. burn up those sick leave days.

k
GWN7
I have smoke-in-halation ....that's like the Smoke & Fish Dreby.... and if you need a map, It's not a hat.......

Hope I picked the right emoteacon.....smile.gif smoke.gif

True story tonight....."it's my 37 birthday...smoke a bowl with me.....can you lend me a bowl...something to put in it?....and do you have a match?"
redshift
Oh man... damnit!

Looks like you crashed your spaceship in paradise.. at least.

=\

M
GWN7
Cept it was a guy asking those questions.....and his mom wasn't sinle either........ sad.gif
redshift
What about his sister, unless he's... uh.... 'seeing' her?

smile.gif

M
mike_the_man
Bruce,

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. If there's anything I can do from Regina, let me know. Hood River is a beautiful place. One of my favorite places, in fact.

Once you're back on the road, let me know what your ETA is. You've still got a place to stay once you make it to Regina, unless it happens to be Saturday (I may have a hot date aktion035.gif). In any case, let me know how things go. I think you have all my contact info.

Good luck,

boxstr
Bruce the red parts car may still have some of the underdash wiring. Let me know if it is needed.
CCLINWIRINGGDIAGRAM
davep
Any idea as to what burned up?
I had a similar thing happen back about 1978. The wire for the high beam indicator light burned up. I had almost (one mile to go) got back from a 100 mile drive. Probably the first time on the whole trip I got to turn on the high beam. Scary situation. Never did figure out why the wire fried, but I put an inline fuse in the wire for peace of mind. Bulb was still okay. I believe only the one wire was damaged, go figure.
scotty914
well i found out one of the wires under the dash does not have a fuse on it at all, when my melted down, it goes thru the head light switch. when i fixed it i put a fuse on it, check the wiring diagram for which one.
iamchappy
While your there why not check out Swell City for me, or Dougs beach, our if you get heading east the Wall.
The windsurfing and kiters are a blast to watch.
I have had my share of rag doll wipeouts on the Columbia. Look out for barges.
Dan_F
Sorry to hear about the bad luck, Bruce.
Hopefully you can still stop in Regina for some beer when you get going again.
Good luck with the repair shop and insurance company.
Porsche Rescue
Hijack: Dan, what's the status on your car/translant?
GWN7
Update...still in Hood River...might be till tomorrow sometime. Did the Joe Neverland tour last night. Not sure if it was Cassadors (sp) in the frozen lime water with salt on the rim but it had the same effect. First time I closed a bar and my tab came to $12....

What melted is all the new wiring from the conversion that was under the dash and a couple wires back to the engine bay. The factory wires look ok, (but I didn't get too into them) so I don't think it will need any factory stuff, but thanks.

Why? They don't know, but they started work on it early this morning and are getting back into it this afternoon when they have some other promised cars to go out the door.

Dan & Mike, still stopping to see you guys (it's on the way home) Mike...see if her mom is single and we can double. biggrin.gif

At least out of all this the car now has a name... "Smokey"

beerchug.gif

VegasRacer
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Aug 2 2005, 05:38 PM)
you come flying down the hill and pull up to their front door when your car is on fire

That's one way to make a memorable entrance Bruce. w00t.gif

What do you have planned for when you leave town?
A hail of gunfire from a jealous husband and a broken hearted trophy wife?
GWN7
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Aug 3 2005, 12:59 PM)

That's one way to make a memorable entrance Bruce. w00t.gif

What do you have planned for when you leave town?
A hail of gunfire from a jealous husband and a broken hearted trophy wife?

That was last night adventure... wink.gif rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif
Dan_F
Hijack: Dan, what's the status on your car/translant?

Hey Jim, I'm planning to get the flared roller from Bruce and swap my parts over... it's been super hot around here for the last month so hopefully it's almost dry enough to get at it. It will be a flared 914 with a stock 1.8L and stock wheels but it will be fun to drive and will allow room for improvement as I have time/money to collect parts.
Porsche Rescue
Is the car in a swamp? Tundra? We southerners don't understand the geography/climate up there. Saskatchewan is praire, right?
Hope Bruce gets home OK and glad to hear you will be back on the 914 road.
Dan_F
Southern Sask is mainly prairie. Manitoba has more water and tends to flood. The car is located at Bruce's farm near Lake Manitoba (by the red star).
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formt...ate=mb&zipcode=

From what I understand, the farm where the car is located doesn't have a real road to it, and the field to drive across has been too wet with all of the rain we had this spring.

Porsche Rescue
Now I understand. I sure would like to take a lengthy trans-Canada trip someday. Unfortunately, I like to drive and my wife prefers to fly. Can't see much from 30,000 feet. Maybe the train is the answer.
dan10101
Bruce,

You let all the smoke out. You need the "kit"...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=4554570060

Good luck with your adventure.

IVGUY
Bruce
Speaking from personal experience a guy can get into more trouble in Hood River then any other place north of Mexico. Those were the days...... mueba.gif
Any way change of plans The dog could not go into a kennel as his shots were not up to date so the family stayed home and went out with the boat today and Dad got to drive his old car to Victoria biggrin.gif I took the Hope Princeton for some Twisties and had a great drive. I will be heading back to Kelowna Friday afternoon so if your anywhere in Southern BC Friday give me a call on my cell and if I'm with a hundred miles or so I'll buy you a beer.
Now go have a Full Sail Ale for me.
Dan
GWN7
The car is at my farm ( http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formt...ate=mb&zipcode= ) If you look at the map the farm is North of Leifur (which doesn't exist) near the small lake that is shown. 2/3rds of the little lake is on my property. Dans right about there being no proper road into it. Last year I sunk my 4 X 4 to the frame trying to get in there and then two tractors trying to get out. A third tractor with 7' wheels finally pulled all three of us out. As of last week my neibour said it was still too wet to drive into, but we have had no great amounts of rain and it was drying up quite nicely. So hopefully when I get back, I can get in there.

I have been after the local government to improve my access for 4 years, but the roadway is a registered drain, which means it needs Provinical (state) and possible Federal approval before any work can be done on it.

Hopefully I'm on my way to Kelowna sometime tomorrow. beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
pack lots of water and sun block when you're dirving up the columbia. eastern wa's going to be a scorcher today. you'll be seeing temps in excess of 100*(f) up near omak.

k
GWN7
Still here...ignition switch is fried along with the attached wires. Stepehen from Route 30 Classics is trying to hunt down a local guy who might have a dead 914 for the parts and Craig is on his way to Camp 914 to see what he's got.

Your right about the temps, but the weather men can't get it straight. One channel says high 90's the other says mid 80's. Only job I know of that you can always be wrong and still keep your job. biggrin.gif
mike_the_man
Bruce,

Assuming everything goes smoothly, whats your new ETA for getting to Regina?

And when you make it to Kelowna, there's one road that goes past a couple of the beaches. Make sure not to rear-end anybody while gawking. I found the best thing to do was put the car in 1st gear and idle!

See you in a few days,

GWN7
QUOTE (mike_the_man @ Aug 4 2005, 11:28 AM)
Bruce,

Assuming everything goes smoothly, whats your new ETA for getting to Regina?

And when you make it to Kelowna, there's one road that goes past a couple of the beaches. Make sure not to rear-end anybody while gawking. I found the best thing to do was put the car in 1st gear and idle!

See you in a few days,

Saturday......did you find out if her mom is single? biggrin.gif

Might end up being Sunday...... and if it is, I'll have to blast home....there is no RCMP between Regina and Winnipeg rolleyes.gif

You know instead of driving real slow, you can pull over and park. biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
GWN7
As of 5pm the car runs, but they need a few more hours to finish things up. So morning blast off time.

Thanks to Stephen and Craig for their help today.

beerchug.gif
redshift
YAY!

Good man, sober up.

smile.gif

M
rhodyguy
forward. never straight. just as well you weren't on the way to wenatchee today bruce. huge fire had the road closed.

k
GWN7
Hello from Kelowna, BC....made it here and backed into my buddys driveway......clutch pedal went to the floor.............. headbang.gif
mike_the_man
Ouch! At least you're somewhere safe. As long as it's just the cable, should be a 15 minute fix. Here's hoping thats all it is!

Bruce, if you're out this way tomorrow, give me a call. My hot date has been cancelled, sounds like it may turn into a guys night out, and you're still welcome to stay here.

Give me a call and let me know what your plans are when you're in the area.

GWN7
clutch cable could not be found.......West Jet home.... sad.gif
redshift
sad.gif headbang.gif icon8.gif
mike_the_man
Shitty luck Bruce. What are your plans for getting the car back? I dunno if I can help, but if you need anything, let me know.

GWN7
Flying back Wensday......I have a spare clutch cable here...........just another delay.......

biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.