Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fresh Air Box Drain Nipple Repair - Simple
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrmdir
Hi:

Something like this may have been posted before but I couldn't find anything. Posting in case it may be of help to someone down the line.

Based on my car it seems that the drain nipples are prone to snapping off. Someone mentioned trying ABS cement to try to butt weld them back on, but while I have my air box out I wanted to try something more durable.

Turns out a standard 1/2 copper coupling is almost a perfect fit to make a sleeve. The ID of the broken nipple is slightly tapered going toward the box so while the copper fitting slides in perfectly from the drain end, it sticks about 1/8 inch from the other end. But just a few minutes hogging out that end, as well as the opening in the box and it all came together perfectly. Now to add a bit of epoxy and it should be pretty reliable.

Ron

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
Nice solution, wish I would have known before. I recently did this but just used epoxy to glue the broken piece back on. If after installation it breaks again then I will do as you did. Thanks for posting it!
dlee6204
I completed this exact repair recently. I used black some black epoxy, sanded smooth, and in the end you couldn't really tell it was cracked.
Van B
Both of mine are broken and this is the repair I had in mind. But I plan to use Hysol and anodized aluminum tube.

Good to know about the taper!
Van B
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ May 12 2022, 05:11 PM) *

I completed this exact repair recently. I used black some black epoxy, sanded smooth, and in the end you couldn't really tell it was cracked.

I like the black epoxy idea. What brand and temp rating did you use?
Root_Werks
Nice! Both mine drains were broken and I sourced another box. Didn't even think about a repair like this.

Well done.
MM1
Good idea-thanks for sharing.
barefoot
I also did this same repair using epoxy as glue, works just fine.

Barefoot
StarBear
Neat! Have never checked or noticed if mine are broken. Might investigate.
Van B
Both of mine snapped off like glass when I pulled my tank. It's unlikely yours are broken if they've never been disturbed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.