Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust / header wrap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
So while I was laying there under my car (I just do that) while swapping out the transaxle I noticed something.
I looked down the SSI pipes and saw nice clean (like perfect burning plug color) from the exhaust port all the way to the line where the heat shroud stops. After that the pipe is black or very dark brownish black out to the flange.

So would wrapping the rest of the pipe in header wrap maintain the heat and extend the better burn all the way through the pipe? Also will wrap the Bursch collector pipes.

Bottom line will it make more power!
Jaiden
Be very careful with heat wrap on a car that leaks any oil.

I have a wrx and frequent the wrx boards and one of the things we do is swap out up and down pipes on the turbo.

One of the biggest problems with heat wrap is that when covered in oil it turns into a wick. There have been several Wrx's that have burned up and it is almost impossible to put out the fire on oily heat wrap.

If you do decide to do it make sure that that you seal your heat wrap. I mean use the entire can of sealer on it evern if you think it is too much add more.

The good thing about heat wrap is that it will definitly reduce the temps down there!
Joe Bob
Screw the oil....header wrap also absorbs water and rusts....just what ya need on a 914, more fuching rust....
Joe Ricard
So it don't leak oil (check)
Bursch is rusty anyway
Will it gain more power?
Yea the cooler trunk temps will be nice while carrying race rubber tothe events.
URY914
Joe,

All the F1 teams preheat thier tires before the race so having your tires in the trunk getting hot is a good thing. wink.gif

Happy Birthday, you old fart.

Paul
Brett W
Don't bother if you have stainless HEs. The thermal properties of stainless steel is much different than the mild steel. Stainless will hold more heat in than even a coated mild steel piece. SO wrapping your stainless pipes will gain you little.

GO to a header it will be worth it.

I got your cheese, so I'll try and get the wheels shipped by the end of the week.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Brett W @ Aug 3 2005, 06:45 AM)
Don't bother if you have stainless HEs. The thermal properties of stainless steel is much different than the mild steel. Stainless will hold more heat in than even a coated mild steel piece. SO wrapping your stainless pipes will gain you little.

GO to a header it will be worth it.

Good point. Thanks Brett. The plans for the yellow car is to sell it before XMAS. Definately a header on the stripper. Guess we need to talk about what else you got for parts.
Brett W
What else you need. I am quickly running out of cool, fast high performance four cylinder parts.
nocones
Selling the racer!?!? blink.gif wacko.gif confused24.gif

That's one of my favorite teeners on the board. drooley.gif

Sure hope the 'stripper' is going to be as cool.
bondo
QUOTE (Jaiden @ Aug 3 2005, 06:56 AM)
Be very careful with heat wrap on a car that leaks any oil.

I have a wrx and frequent the wrx boards and one of the things we do is swap out up and down pipes on the turbo.

One of the biggest problems with heat wrap is that when covered in oil it turns into a wick. There have been several Wrx's that have burned up and it is almost impossible to put out the fire on oily heat wrap.

If you do decide to do it make sure that that you seal your heat wrap. I mean use the entire can of sealer on it evern if you think it is too much add more.

The good thing about heat wrap is that it will definitly reduce the temps down there!

Haha, I've been there.. My mustang has a power steering hose that would repeatedly get damaged by exhaust heat.. so I wrapped it in header wrap. It was fine until it got oily and I made a u-turn.. it hit the exhaust long enogh to ignite.. I managed to put it out by whacking it with a catalog I had in the car. I have since secured the hose in such a way that it stays away from the exhaust no matter what way I turn. Still leaks tho. dry.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Aug 3 2005, 05:36 AM)

So would wrapping the rest of the pipe in header wrap maintain the heat and extend the better burn all the way through the pipe? Also will wrap the Bursch collector pipes.

The "burn" takes place in the cylinder, NOT in the pipes. If the factory engineers had thought they could wring more power by wrappint the pipes, they'd have done it. It is, afterall, cheap to do. Frankly, I think the idea is wacked. The Cap'n
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Aug 3 2005, 09:36 AM)

how big is your turbo?

no turbo? no more power.
nebreitling
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 3 2005, 02:35 PM)
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Aug 3 2005, 05:36 AM)

The "burn" takes place in the cylinder, NOT in the pipes. If the factory engineers had thought they could wring more power by wrappint the pipes, they'd have done it. It is, afterall, cheap to do. Frankly, I think the idea is wacked. The Cap'n

Cap'n, are you disputing that a wrapped header can make more power? seems pretty damn accepted in hot-rod/circle-track world.

from what i understand, it has to do with scavenging and underhood temperatures (the latter being less of a concern w/ a T4/F6)...

i can think of a lot of reasons why someone (ie an engineer) wouldn't wrap a header, and only a few for why some one would. but it seems to me that "small power gain" goes under the category for running the wrap.

i don't run one only because of the fire hazard.
nebreitling
btw, thermal coating is the way to go in any case.
Maltese Falcon
Send the exhaust to a good ceramic coater...I use Xtreme (805-388-9983). They will blast, prepare , coat and cure the complete exhaust system. This will give you years of rust free use, lower under -car temps, and keep the exhaust moving out of the engine quicker. Header wrap basically does the same thing, with the exception of accelerating the carbon out of the c/r steel and therefore disintegrating the pipe. I've seen this happen in only 6 mos. use.
Header wrap also voids many mfg's warrantys , including ours (msds) sad.gif
MF
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.