Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tailshift rear cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MM1
Am I missing something here?

I just bought this new tailshift rear cover from Sierra Madre-it is an Uro part.

It doesn’t appear to be properly designed-but I could be wrong since I have never seen one before nor have I ever tried to install one (i.e. perhaps I am not doing something correctly but another ‘Teener thought the cover was incorrect), so any advice would be much appreciated.

The seventh (Second to last picture) posted here is upside down(sorry-I’m not going to blow 15 minutes more trying to fix that).

Nonetheless, all the pictures show that the cover is pushed all the way on to the mounting bracket so that even if we trimmed very end of the round portion, that would not allow the cover to be moved forward, since the area where the round portions of the cover
pinch in to a smaller diameter would never clear the end of the round metal surround that holds the bushing. The result of all this, as you can see in the other pictures, is that cut out for the tailshift Rod is not in the correct position to close the new cover.

The last picture shows the cover with the round portion fully seated against the bushing bracket-but the cut out for the rod is still too far rearward to close the cover-much less to seal it and keep out the dirt.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
mgphoto
The cover fits over the cup holding the bushing, a hose clamp holds the cover in place and an o ring holds it closed at the rear.
Mikey914
SO does it actually fit? We had looked at making these, but with these being available cheaply we opted not to.
aturboman
914-4 and 914-6 take different rear covers.

The 4 cyl trans has a different transmission bushing bracket off-set and thus the covers look similar but will not interchange.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
there are two the four and the six, the six is much bigger than the four

QUOTE(MM1 @ May 22 2022, 05:26 PM) *

Am I missing something here?

I just bought this new tailshift rear cover from Sierra Madre-it is an Uro part.

It doesn’t appear to be properly designed-but I could be wrong since I have never seen one before nor have I ever tried to install one (i.e. perhaps I am not doing something correctly but another ‘Teener thought the cover was incorrect), so any advice would be much appreciated.

The seventh (Second to last picture) posted here is upside down(sorry-I’m not going to blow 15 minutes more trying to fix that).

Nonetheless, all the pictures show that the cover is pushed all the way on to the mounting bracket so that even if we trimmed very end of the round portion, that would not allow the cover to be moved forward, since the area where the round portions of the cover
pinch in to a smaller diameter would never clear the end of the round metal surround that holds the bushing. The result of all this, as you can see in the other pictures, is that cut out for the tailshift Rod is not in the correct position to close the new cover.

The last picture shows the cover with the round portion fully seated against the bushing bracket-but the cut out for the rod is still too far rearward to close the cover-much less to seal it and keep out the dirt.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

gandalf_025
This one belongs to my 6

For size comparison…??

Click to view attachment
MM1
Ok- after speaking with Sierra Madre it’s clear.

This cover is for a 914-6.

So no, Mark - it does not actually work For my 4.

George - As far as I can tell , your website only lists a 914–6 cover as well - is the 914–4 rear cover for a tail shifter NLA ?

I have not been able to find one on eBay or any other venue.

If anyone has one that fits a four that I can purchase please let me know as soon as possible.

I appreciate your support as always .

Mark- is it possible for you to start a run after you create all new tooling this week ? - lol.

sad.gif

On a different note the firewall bushing that I bought from Auto Atlanta has made the shifting so incredibly tight and difficult it is quite hard to believe that it will wear enough to loosen up. @Robarabian helped me (actually he taught me while I mostly watched- thank you,Sir!) said the 914Rubber one he used in his tailshifter went in easy and was not to tight. Granted- this is a back date and I have no original tail shifter to measure against - but the installation looks as well done as possible ( except there is no lip on the firewall for me to mount the cover too), and the previous owner told me that in it’s past life it shifted well - at least well enough for a tail shifter. I will say that even though I cannot start the car right now it appears to be grabbing all the gears even with the Weltmeister short shifter that was previously installed - it is just so very tight . After freezing the short rod etc.(didn’t work- even with the hammer blink.gif ) we ultimately had to pry it in with a 4 x 6 and a pry bar. Do you think shifting will wear the bushing out enough to make it more manageable fairly quickly or would that take quite some time?

We used Lucas white lithium grease on all the bushings.

I guess the good news is that at the moment, surely I have the tightest shifting tail shifter of all time. Of course whether or not it will actually shift after I get the car running is another matter.
MM1
So no luck on my WTB post for a 914-4 rear tailshift cover. . .do you think I should just mod this $45 new cover that doesn’t fit (if possible)?

Any suggestions or alternatives?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.