Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: first race of the season
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brant
A week back, I attended a vintage race in colorado
the car did fine... the driver was slow, but still had fun
a couple of shots

I ran a staggered set of bias- ply vintage tires... car was not aligned for them... and they were a bit underwhelming...
wndsrfr
Tough to get enough meat on the track on a non flared setup. What age were the tires, what sizes...looks like 15 inch rims...
johnhora
"Driver Slow"....Nothing like the first race of the season to get the cobwebs out of the ole driver and with a new setup added to the mix...You look good buddy...have fun this season!
brant
I'll have to pull the sizes.... the hoosier TDR tire in 15inch
a year or more old... just wanted to run them for a full event and see if I could adapt.

I can get 8 inch fuchs under the back easily
but class restricted to 7inch rims.
typically run a 225/15 on 7inch rims with a 1 inch spacer for track (because I have the room)

I only ran a 3/4 inch spacer on these... due to the balloon sidewalls.
fenders are modified....just as wide as a flared car

plus this is a low HP 2.0 motor so plenty of traction in a straight line.
wndsrfr
I'm on 15's...Hoosier TDR 7.5-23-15 front and 8.5-24-15 rear. Start at 17psi finish at 22. Car is faster than the driver which is a good thing....I think??
brant
You motivated me to go to the trailer
Same size and tires front and rear as you

Thanks for the input on pressure
I think I was at 19psi

Sunday afternoon I got frustrated with the tires and put on a 6-7 year old/45??? Heat cycles. Set of 225/15 A7 tires and pulled a half second off my times

Just having a hard time liking them
They recover well from small slides. But they slide way to easy at turn in

What did you do for alignment numbers? With these?

I tested them for one day last year and went back to the speedsters
Decided it was time to give them a second chanceā€¦. But still not loving them

Wish I had dropped the pressure in hindsight
GregAmy
I run Hoosier A7/R7s on my "regular" race car but most historics groups don't allow them.

I've run Hoosier Speedsters on my historics 914 ride and I just don't like the tread squiggle.

So my recent "go to" has been Nitto NT-10 DOT 100TW tires. They're a good construction, very responsive, and wear nice.

I'm moving to Conti 200TW DOT Extremes. Sure, they're not as fast as A7s (or possibly even not as fast as Nitto NT-01 100TW) but I'm a Hoosier butt-boy and I think they're a good choice. After all, this is historics racing, not LeMans.

For comparisons of radial DOT tires versus "radial slick", we've tested Hoosier A7 245/40-17 and 265/630-17 M compound Hoosier same weekend (the "real" race car) and I honestly did not notice a significant difference in lap times and/or driving characteristics. I wish I could have tested them blind but I'm the one that had to swap the tires, so...

I personally don't like the way bias-ply slick tires drive. I've found the 914 chassis to be much more responsive on radials, with less slip angle required and a lot more total grip. But note I've been racing on DOT radials since the 80s, from Showroom Stock through various iterations of touring cars.

I find the DOTs easier to drive and easier to set up the car. But of course that's a personal preference. - GA
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(brant @ May 24 2022, 10:27 AM) *

A week back, I attended a vintage race in colorado
the car did fine... the driver was slow, but still had fun
a couple of shots

I ran a staggered set of bias- ply vintage tires... car was not aligned for them... and they were a bit underwhelming...

Poster quality photos... first.gif

Keep driving.gif

Oscar
wndsrfr
I'm at just under 2 degrees negative both front and rear with about 1/16 inch toe in. I'm no expert but watch the edge wear and temperature profile to decide if change is needed....
brant
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ May 25 2022, 06:38 AM) *

I'm at just under 2 degrees negative both front and rear with about 1/16 inch toe in. I'm no expert but watch the edge wear and temperature profile to decide if change is needed....

thanks! appreciate the data!

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.