Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stereo - Will This Work?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SteveL
I have an old high-power Sony CD deck in the car now, and some old blown out speakers.
I am not looking for great sound, just decent. Able to hear music with the top off without it being distorted. Don't want anything too flashy on the dash, and using factory speaker boxes.

Receiver:

Pioneer MVH-S322BT
Watts Per Channel 50 watts
RMS Power 22 watts
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/in-dash-amazon...p?skuId=6362270

OR

Alpine UTE-73BT
built-in MOSFET amplifier (18 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
crutchfield.com/p_500UTE73BT/Alpine-UTE-73BT.html?mfr=&fromlanding=1

With these speakers:

Infinity Kappa 4"x6" 2-Way Loudspeakers
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FP3IKW2/ref=ps...1_t1_B07657R646

OR

Pioneer - 4" x 6" - 3-way
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer-4-x-6-...p?skuId=6454571

Thanks
Big Len
I have the Alpine model you asked about. It's a good unit, sounds much better than my JVC head unit, and is easy to navigate. The Pioneer looks good too for the similar price range.
The speakers are a bit easier as I would go with the Infinity's. Better sensitivity and they're typically bass strong. I like the Pioneer speaker because of the directional tweeter.
Alpine and Infinity.
914Sixer
What grills are you using for speakers? Stock grill speaker holes are 100mm x 100mm for mounting. Most 4x6 will need some sort of plate.
FlacaProductions
If you haven't already, a lot of info here - do a search and pay attention to what bbrock did.
JmuRiz
I have kappa 4x6 plate speakers (older version of what you are looking at) and used them in stock grills w/o modification.
SteveL
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ May 25 2022, 07:44 PM) *

I have kappa 4x6 plate speakers (older version of what you are looking at) and used them in stock grills w/o modification.

How do they sound? Do you have an amp, or just receiver?
JmuRiz
Just a head unit...they were OK, but I did add a pair of up-firing 3.5" 2-ways in a custom center console. That helped a LOT with top-off driving. At one time I had a 150w powered 6.5" bazooka just in front of the passenger seat too.

I've been rebuilding the car the last 10+ years and will go with 6.5" low profile in the 914rubber pods, stock location. Probably keep my 3.5" center 'armrest' console and a new super thin Pioneer sub mounted behind my engman passenger side foot rest. So we'll see how much better that will be smile.gif
Chris914n6
I have an older version of those Infinitys. No low end whatsoever, so I bought the 6.5" speaker housings and 2-way Kappa 6.5". Paired with a Soundstream pn4.520d and half a JBL Fuse.

Of your choices, you would probably be happier with the Pioneer 4x6. At 30w rms either deck will be plenty loud. Cone area should let it play a little deeper. As long as it has a high pass filter to cut the low <80 hz frequencies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.