Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sun Visor Refill
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdamiano
The vinyl on my visors is in great shape. The problem is the foam inside turned to dust. I blew it all out and now they are just vinyl over the metal frame. I have a plan to build a reverse mold and refill them with 4 pound high density foam. It’s a two part liquid really made for the boating industry. I purchased decent originals off eBay to experiment with. What I need is someone with good originals to measure how thick they are and send me some pictures of the edges so I know what they should look like. Thanks in advance for your responses.
JeffBowlsby
Consider buying a set f the excellent repros now availale. You will spend more time/$ futzing with the originals than the new ones cost.
jdamiano
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 4 2022, 09:47 AM) *

Consider buying a set f the excellent repros now availale. You will spend more time/$ futzing with the originals than the new ones cost.

Your probably right but it’s a project for me to occupy my mind and time.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
jeff is right, but you could try slitting them on the top and packing them with original like foam padding and then supergluing them . We have a cheap set and a very nice set made in germany

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 4 2022, 08:47 AM) *

bbrock
It isn't hard to do. I'm a CSOB, a pathological DIY guy, and hate throwing away original parts if they still have life left in them. Here's how I refurbished mine and you'd have to look really hard to know they had been touched.

IPB Image
Mikey914
You should try to do the DIY repair, if not we have the correct ones with mirrors and the drivers side pocket going on sale soon, so you have nothing to loose.
jdamiano
I’m going to try the refill this weekend. I got some free flow casting foam. Anyone have the thickness measurement of a good original?
mgphoto
Click to view attachment
New found in Germany a few years ago.
930cabman
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 4 2022, 11:10 AM) *

It isn't hard to do. I'm a CSOB, a pathological DIY guy, and hate throwing away original parts if they still have life left in them. Here's how I refurbished mine and you'd have to look really hard to know they had been touched.

IPB Image

Exactly, I am also a CSOB and almost never give in to any type of (potential) repair. Thanks for the connection to your approach to this restoration. BTW: anything to update with your project?
jdamiano
So it’s 15mm and yes you can refill them. I used Foam-IT 5. It’s a flowing casting foam.
I blew out all the old foam
I cut plywood out leaving access to the holes the mounts go in.
I cut some 15mm spacers
For the passenger with the mirror I cut a piece of cardboard the size of the mirror and a second the size of the mirror surround. Then taped them on.This provides a spacer so they stay recessed.
I sandwiched the visor between the plywood with the spacers using clamps to hold it together.
Now things get real. Had help from my wife. Gotta be quick.
Mixed up 6 ounces of the foam. 15 second stir.
Poured into a disposable pastry bag with a 230 fill tip.
Squirted 3 ounces in each mounting hole and stuck a mount rod in to keep the hole closed and clear. Needed to twist with a wrench to remove after the foam set.
Only have a minute to get the foam in there and spread it around by rotating the thing around.
Careful about covering anything with tape it will cause lines in your visor. Try and clean any spill over quickly.
It came out like a vinyl covered board.
This foam is designed for stuff like this so I’m optimistic it will hold up.

jdamiano
Plywood
jdamiano
Mirror spacer
jdamiano
Mirror surround spacer
jdamiano
Pastry bag tip
jdamiano
Disposable pastry bag
jdamiano
Foam. There are some YouTube videos on this stuff you want to check out before trying this
jdamiano
Finished visor
930cabman
Given the number of projects going, I sent an order to 914 Rubber, they have a set on the way.
bbrock
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Jun 25 2022, 03:43 PM) *

So it’s 15mm and yes you can refill them. I used Foam-IT 5. It’s a flowing casting foam.

Cool! I'd never heard of foam like that before. Thanks for posting beerchug.gif
Van B
Great work, now how much to do mine? shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.