Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For Skline..!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Twystd1
Hi ya scott.
I have the answer you were looking for.

Got it from a friend who knows a friend.... ETC.

Here is how you change to Evans coolant in your V8 Chalon.

Note: I never said it was cheap. I just said it's the best.

And here ya go....

Evans NPG+ is non-aqueous, meaning it doesn't like water. It is also incompatible with ordinary coolants. To convert to NPG+, you need to get rid of all the moisture in your cooling system, as well as all traces of incompatible coolant, thus avoiding contamination. The way to do this is to flush your cooling system as if doing a normal coolant change: warm the car up with the heat on (to open the heater core valve), and drain the radiator and engine block. Also be sure to siphon off any coolant in the overflow bottle and/or air separation tank (3rd gen RX-7s). Once the system is thoroughly drained, there will still be some residual incompatible coolant and water. Here, we use an intermediate product that will absorb moisture and is compatible with Evans NPG+: Sierra coolant. Sierra is a "pet friendly" nonpoisonous coolant you can find almost anywhere. Since it is made with Propylene Glycol (like Evans) but is aqueous like Ethylene Glycol (ordinary coolant), it is the perfect thing to do the job. It will absorb any residual moisture and cleanse the system, but any residual Sierra will not contaminate the Evans product. After flushing the system as usual, fill with straight Sierra coolant (no water) and drive the car around for 15-20 minutes with the heat on, then drain and refill with Evans NPG+. Don't forget to add some to the overflow bottle, but not too much -- Evans NPG+ expands a bit more than ordinary coolant when hot. The procedure might sound complicated, but it's easier than it seems and is well worth doing. It will also be the last time you need to flush and refill your cooling system as normal preventative maintenance! In the future, if you need to drain the cooling system for any reason, just capture the NPG+ in a clean container and refill when you're done. To convert your cooling system to zero pressure, just remove the rubber seal on the inside of the radiator cap. If you want to run a low pressure system, however, you will need to find the appropriate aftermarket cap. We have found zero pressure works just fine. We recommend, however, that you use the stock, unmodified pressure cap for about a week before converting it to zero pressure. This will help get out any air pockets that might be trapped in the system.

Let me know when your rich and famous. i will help you do the install..!!!!

And try the 5/8 washer trick instead of a thermostat.

Hell we live in Cali. that why it typically works so well.

Twystd1
cool.gif alfred.gif
Mueller
I've read about that stuff before.....do you know anyone actually running it???
skline
I will be running it in a month or so when my income picks up. That is why I am not around here much anymore, I am out trying to increase my revenue. Signed up a new client today as a matter of fact so things are looking up.
bondo
Wow, that stuff looks nifty... but $27.75 a gallon.. how many gallons does your average V8 conversion use?

The coolest thing... When people say they don't like your 914 because it's water cooled, you can say "no it isn't" smile.gif
sj914
Can someone elaborate on the zero pressure part of this coolant conversion.
skline
It doesnt expand like water and AF does thereby there is no pressure. Most fluids expand when they get hot and get bubbles. .
skline
QUOTE (bondo @ Aug 3 2005, 08:39 PM)
Wow, that stuff looks nifty... but $27.75 a gallon.. how many gallons does your average V8 conversion use?

The average system uses about 20 to 22 quarts. I read that somewhere.
John2kx
QUOTE (skline @ Aug 4 2005, 06:44 AM)
QUOTE (bondo @ Aug 3 2005, 08:39 PM)

The average system uses about 20 to 22 quarts. I read that somewhere.

about 3 1/2 to 4 gallons for my setup but it depends on your configuration.........some run larger expansion tanks, larger dia. hose, larger/smaller radiators etc.
SLITS
Gad....what a waste of good money............
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.