Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can a1.7l case be substituted by a 2.0l case?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PCH
I have a 1.7l case that has a fatal problem. The engine build has 96x66mm pistons and cylinders and 1.8 liter heads.

Can I use a 2.0l case with the components that I currently have? Or do I have to stick with a 1.7l case?
BeatNavy
All cases are basically the same. So to answer your question, yes, you can use those components.

What's your goal? You've got a 1911 with those P&C.

PCH
Garold has a 2.0 l case for sale and I need a case to replace my troubled 1.7l case. I just want to be sure that it will work.
930cabman
According to Jake Raby, the 1.7 case has more material in the area of the journals than either 1.8 or 2.0. So long as everything is straight/round you should be good to go.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jun 16 2022, 12:42 PM) *

According to Jake Raby, the 1.7 case has more material in the area of the journals than either 1.8 or 2.0. So long as everything is straight/round you should be good to go.

He's going from 1.7 to 2.0 (in theory), so that's kind of going the other way.

No offense to Garold, who's an asset to the community here and a great resource, but there are probably a lot of 1.7L cases available out there if you put out a WTB. What's most important is bore alignment and whether or not there's droop in the spigots, a function of "less meat" on the 2.0 case but also how much that case has been abused over the years. I'd probably prioritize case condition, type (1.7L vs. 2.0), and case number (just to have consistent with what's supposed to be in there) in that order.
PCH
Thank you for your advice. I appreciate how quickly help is available on 914world!

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jun 16 2022, 10:27 AM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jun 16 2022, 12:42 PM) *

He's going from 1.7 to 2.0 (in theory), so that's kind of going the other way.

No offense to Garold, who's an asset to the community here and a great resource, but there are probably a lot of 1.7L cases available out there if you put out a WTB. What's most important is bore alignment and whether or not there's droop in the spigots, a function of "less meat" on the 2.0 case but also how much that case has been abused over the years. I'd probably prioritize case condition, type (1.7L vs. 2.0), and case number (just to have consistent with what's supposed to be in there) in that order.

mepstein
Core 1.7’s are usually a dime a dozen. Ask around and you should be able to find one cheap. No reason to pay the premium for a 2.0 case when the early 1.7’s are arguably better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.