Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this excessive metal on the trans drain plug?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve
914 trans in v8 car. All gears have a slight whine, with 4th being the worst.
Runs and shifts fine. Drained oil through a strainer. No chunks, just this crap on the drain plug.
Would you tear it apart or just drive it?
What would the doctor do? @dr evil
Click to view attachment
914e
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 3 2022, 10:34 PM) *

Runs and shifts fine. Drained oil through a strainer. No chunks, just this crap on the drain plug.
What would the doctor do? @dr_evil
Click to view attachment

Is the whine new or increasing? Since it is in all gears it might be a pinion bearing.
Spoke
I'm no expert but I've never seen that much metal on the plug.
930cabman
Hard to tell, but are we looking at chunks of metal or dust?
914Sixer
Call DR EVIL
Steve
QUOTE(914e @ Jul 3 2022, 10:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 3 2022, 10:34 PM) *

What would the doctor do? @dr_evil
Click to view attachment

Is the whine new or increasing? Since it is in all gears it might be a pinion bearing.

4th gear whine was always there. The whine in all the gears is new after I drag raced another muscle car off the line in second. So dumb at my age.
Steve
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 4 2022, 04:59 AM) *

Hard to tell, but are we looking at chunks of metal or dust?

It wasn’t chunks of metal and just smeared off with a towel.
Kind of looked like Venum!
Robarabian
MEtal is relative to time... depends when the last change was... if that was a product of metal over the course of years without an oil change, then I would not be so concerned. If it was like a 6 month oil change....yes, it would be concerning.

Dr. Evil's write up has some guidance on it as well.
Steve
I put in 85-140 gear oil and now it’s quieter. It’s just a cars & coffee toy. I will run it as is until it gets worse or explodes! Lol
Thanks for the feedback. I Will look for another trans to go through versus going through this trans and have a dead car. Any used trans in the so cal area? I will also post in the want adds.
930cabman
A decent used trans may run you 800 or so. Add around 1.5 at least for a rebuild. I have been a running well used trans and keep clean oil in it. Hoping to chum up with a local tranny rebuilder one of these days
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.