Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Polishing Fuch's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
Yesterday I set out to polish the Fuch's on my '73 which is fairly easy since they are fully polished and I do them once a year. I had been putting off polishing the Fuch's on my '76 because only the raised petals are polished and I had convinced myself this would be a miserable job. But since I'm in fixing her up to sell I knew they would need to be done at some point and the weather was cool enough for the toil to come. They hadn't been touched in 10+ years and didn't look too badly from a distance.

Click to view attachment

But up close........not so nice.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

As it turned out I needed only to mask off the outer rim where the polished edge meets the unpolished edge. Some cheap HF electrical take was perfect for the job.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is about 5 minutes work using Mothers polish and this little 2" DA. Another minute to wipe off with a clean cotton cloth. Very little blackened residue gets on the unpolished surface. And what little does can be quickly cleaned up with some LA Awesome cleaner. I suppose Simple Green would work also.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Finished product.......about 30 minutes total time. There are 2 more but they all look the same and I think this hard drive is about to die!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

rhodyguy
Nice Kent.
914-300Hemi
very nice
r_towle
Wow, inspiring.
DC_neun_vierzehn
Great work.

If you wanted to really make them wheels sparkle, for less than $100 (I believe) you could get new aftermarket Fuchs lugs from 914 Rubber. You could probably sell the original lugs for the same amount to someone who wants the original lugs (which could be re-plated I believe).
76-914
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Jul 5 2022, 07:00 PM) *

Great work.

If you wanted to really make them wheels sparkle, for less than $100 (I believe) you could get new aftermarket Fuchs lugs from 914 Rubber. You could probably sell the original lugs for the same amount to someone who wants the original lugs (which could be re-plated I believe).

Aren't those new bolts 17mm vs. the 19mm OEM?
bdstone914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 5 2022, 07:04 PM) *

Great work.

Yes and chrome i believe.
I have replated several sets in clear zinc.
Spoke
Sweet. Love to see the 'elbow grease' polish jobs. The wheels look great.
Blue6
Nice workKent, they look great
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 5 2022, 08:09 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 5 2022, 07:04 PM) *

Great work.

Yes and chrome i believe.
I have replated several sets in clear zinc.

I saw that somebody had new aftermarket 19mm lugs for Fuchs … guess it wasn’t 914 Rubber.
914Sixer
Go on Ebay, You need M14x1.5 Ball Seat 40mm long. Yes they a have 17mm heads NOT 19mm. You can even get them in black.
StarBear
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 7 2022, 08:19 AM) *

Go on Ebay, You need M14x1.5 Ball Seat 40mm long. Yes they a have 17mm heads NOT 19mm. You can even get them in black.

Less than $40 for a set of 20??
tygaboy
Wheels look SOOOOOO much better! Nice.
76-914
Since @DC_neun_vierzehn shamed me lol-2.gif I decided to paint the lug nuts to match the unpolished petals until I can find a reputable plater that isn't backed up. Ogden Plating said 6-8 months. Wish someone could put together a "lug nut re-chrome" group buy. @ValcoOscar sad.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 10 2022, 05:22 PM) *

Since @DC_neun_vierzehn shamed me lol-2.gif I decided to paint the lug nuts to match the unpolished petals until I can find a reputable plater that isn't backed up. Ogden Plating said 6-8 months. Wish someone could put together a "lug nut re-chrome" group buy. @ValcoOscar sad.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Haha. Those lugs look great!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.