Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey Clay, cool reading about your "next" engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
PDF from Kolbenschmidt

The 8 cylinder motor looks very compact, anyone have dimensions of these motors???

Mueller
if my info is correct, the W8 weighs 400 pounds (not sure if that is fully dressed with a/c and stuff)

it is only 16.8" long, 28.4 wide and 27.3 tall

McMark
Hehehehe. I did a little research about these puppies awhile back and have had the dimensions I found online stored in my profile notepad for awhile. wink.gif

W8 engine - 16.8 in. long by 28.4 in. wide (height is 27.3 in.)
Verruckt
Wouldn't the outside cylinders have some crazy ass rod angles?? unsure.gif
Mueller
beat ya to it !!!!!

crankshaft comparison...not sure what kind of V8 crankshaft below the W8 crankshaft

oh yea, it's a 4.0 liter....should move along pretty good....
lapuwali
I can only imagine what the casting cores must look like for the heads. I wonder what a lightly muffled W8 sounds like?
SpecialK
The intake has some definite "bling" possibilities too!

Hmmmm.... idea.gif powder coat or polish...powder coat or polish...
SpecialK
Crap! slap.gif
SpecialK
idea.gif

Power (SAE net): 270 bhp @ 6000 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 273 lb-ft @ 2750 rpm

Hell, they get better than that out of a Suby!
Mueller
QUOTE (Buzzard1 @ Aug 4 2005, 05:28 PM)
idea.gif

Power (SAE net): 270 bhp @ 6000 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 273 lb-ft @ 2750 rpm

Hell, they get better than that out of a Suby!

by cheating with a TURBO !!!! smile.gif

Dr. Roger
yea but the 1K HP Bugatti motor is a 16 cyl.
cut that in half and you know that the 8 cyl. passat motor is a highly de-tuned version.
McMark
275, that's it? Damn, this 3.6 six sitting next to me is 245 in stock form. tongue.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (McMark @ Aug 4 2005, 06:34 PM)
275, that's it? Damn, this 3.6 six sitting next to me is 245 in stock form. tongue.gif

it is being installed in "family" sedans, and in order to keep the cost down on the cars, the motors cannot be too hopped up.....I'm sure the potential for easy HP is there smile.gif
Jake Raby
Too bad that it has a radiator and will be installed into a plastic piece of shit- engineering wasted!

The other day a hardcore buddy of mine that drives a "Beater bug" came up to help me hook up my new air compressor.. On the way he was driving by the Chevy dealership's used car lot because the main street is right in front of it... He is stopped in traffic and some car salesman points at a late model Jetta and says that he should upgrade from his 69 beetle to it...

My buddy says "what?? Upgrade to that plastic thing with a radiator".... He says- nope I don't think so, I'll keep the real version!
Mueller
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Aug 4 2005, 07:05 PM)
Too bad that it has a radiator and will be installed into a plastic piece of shit- engineering wasted!

the sad thing is that most of these engines will never be tinkered with and taken apart by younger upcoming mechanics.......
redshift
The W12 is smallish.... and it's over 500hp.

M
ClayPerrine
I did some looking at the W-12. It's about an inch or so shorter than a SBC. Plus it's a 12 cyliinder!!!

It should bolt to a boxster 6 speed with no adapter.

My next project..... idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.