Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Database?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StarBear
There is an orphan 6 engine being rebuilt; we're trying to see if the car it was from originally might still exist. Is there a database with such info? I tried Jeff Bowlsby's awesome portal, but seems like its only for 4s.
Any help or tips on finding to which car this engine belonged would be greatly appreciated! biggrin.gif
SirAndy
This is the closest we got:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=111670

driving.gif
SirAndy
Also worth noting, @davep has some secret magick to match /6 engine numbers to /6 VIN numbers.
piratenanner.gif
StarBear
Thanks, sir. Will try to get the case # for posting.
gms
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jul 25 2022, 02:19 PM) *

There is an orphan 6 engine being rebuilt; we're trying to see if the car it was from originally might still exist. Is there a database with such info? I tried Jeff Bowlsby's awesome portal, but seems like its only for 4s.
Any help or tips on finding to which car this engine belonged would be greatly appreciated! biggrin.gif

I have a database of 914-6s and could give a VIN range for the engine.
StarBear
QUOTE(gms @ Jul 26 2022, 10:49 AM) *

QUOTE(StarBear @ Jul 25 2022, 02:19 PM) *

I have a database of 914-6s and could give a VIN range for the engine.

Great! Still trying to get the engine number.
StarBear
It’s 6405117. In Summit, NJ. Posted # in the other thread of engines seeking their bodies. biggrin.gif
@gms @davep Any hints or database shreds that might match this engine to a VIN?
davep
Most likely in the 9140431700 to 1900 range, but that spread tells you that these engine were fairly randomly installed into cars.
StarBear
Thanks!!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
one could get a lot closer if there was a person assigned to finding six engines. for sale and recording all of the particulars, such as calling all of the Porsche salvage yards (we have two loose six engines that do not claim a car) searching craigs list, e bay, local porsche club memberships etc. Would take probably six months of dedication
gms
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 28 2022, 09:54 AM) *

one could get a lot closer if there was a person assigned to finding six engines. for sale and recording all of the particulars, such as calling all of the Porsche salvage yards (we have two loose six engines that do not claim a car) searching craigs list, e bay, local porsche club memberships etc. Would take probably six months of dedication

George,
David Pateman and I maintain databases (and share data) with all COA data as well as karmann number, production number and DOT sticker dates. There are stretches of the engine/chassis relationship that widen to as much as 200.

For 640 5113
My prediction would be 914.043.1750 to 914.043.1830
gms
a sample of 1804 entries I have

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.