Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stainless steel heat exchangers and mufflers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CLTAMT
Hi folks,

I've been trolling the forum trying to read up on exhaust systems and quite frankly my eyeballs have crossed. I'll readily admit I have the attention span of a gnat! wacko.gif

I recently purchased a '76 2.0L with the California emission system which is VERY restrictive and not required in my state. Or the air injection pump. I have no doubt a German engineer was trying to get even with us when he designed that system. All I can say is - DAMN!

I want to replace the restricted single-pass heat exchangers with good quality SS duals and a good SS single outlet muffler that exits in the stock location.

I'm looking at the SSI brand for earlier 2.0L motors. Is that the best available for the 914 2.0L? If so where is the best place to purchase them? I'm seeing them online from $1800 to $2600+. I'm assuming the early style will bolt right up to my '76?

As far as a good single outlet SS muffler, what are you guys running? I would like to have a good quality muffler that is as free flowing as possible without rattling my teeth - or sounding like the
neighbors' kid's Honda Del sol with it's "brapp-brapp" fart-can muffler. On the other hand I don't want it whistling like my old VW beetle either. A nice throaty sound would make my 63 year old ears very happy!

What do you 914 experts recommend?

Cheers! beerchug.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
If your heat exchangers are in good shape LEAVE them alone! Not worth the terrible expense to change to the earlier style. There is only one maker of the early stainless steel heat exchangers and that is Dansk. Besides the heat exchangers you would need muffler muffler bracket branch pipes j pipes warm air elbows air guide plates branch piece clamps and new heater control cable set shorter flex hoses and the gaskets and bolts and screws. NOT WORTH IT unless your heat exchangers have rusted away the built in branch piece and will not provide heat. My 75 2.0 had PLENTY of power with the stock heat exchangers and they provide plenty of heat. All you have to do for a california emissions car moved out of california is to remove the cat and put the 49 state pipe in its place. If you need a replacement muffler for 75 76 we have made an exact replica of the original but in stainless steel

QUOTE(CLTAMT @ Jul 28 2022, 07:34 AM) *

Hi folks,

I've been trolling the forum trying to read up on exhaust systems and quite frankly my eyeballs have crossed. I'll readily admit I have the attention span of a gnat! wacko.gif

I recently purchased a '76 2.0L with the California emission system which is VERY restrictive and not required in my state. Or the air injection pump. I have no doubt a German engineer was trying to get even with us when he designed that system. All I can say is - DAMN!

I want to replace the restricted single-pass heat exchangers with good quality SS duals and a good SS single outlet muffler that exits in the stock location.

I'm looking at the SSI brand for earlier 2.0L motors. Is that the best available for the 914 2.0L? If so where is the best place to purchase them? I'm seeing them online from $1800 to $2600+. I'm assuming the early style will bolt right up to my '76?

As far as a good single outlet SS muffler, what are you guys running? I would like to have a good quality muffler that is as free flowing as possible without rattling my teeth - or sounding like the
neighbors' kid's Honda Del sol with it's "brapp-brapp" fart-can muffler. On the other hand I don't want it whistling like my old VW beetle either. A nice throaty sound would make my 63 year old ears very happy!

Cheers! beerchug.gif

dr914@autoatlanta.com
pic of 75 76 mufflerClick to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(CLTAMT @ Jul 28 2022, 10:34 AM) *

Hi folks,

Cheers! beerchug.gif

George is right your best bet is just to get his new SS muffler if you want the HE and your current 75 HE is in good condition.
But if its all in back condition you have 2 choices for back dating regarding HE/header- you can get a header pipe with no HE from Tangerine Racing, or SMC has brand new SS headers too, OR post a wanted to buy ad for a set of early SSHE or the steel HE like factory made, George has those too. but someone might have a nice set.

Oh and also check with Marty at MSDS they make awesome headers !!!
For mufflers to go wtih earil HE or headers, you have
Tangerine Racing, Dansk on several sites, and on SMC website new Bursch headers and sport muffler collectors, 914rubber new SS mufflers, Vintage speed i think on several sits including AA
The new SS products at SMC are made by Bursch.
i lucked out on my 75 when i got it my whole syste was shot and had to be replaced and i found a new set barely used by a guy on line , early SS HE sold them to me back then8 years ago for $350!!! those are now still mint clean and mated now with
one of Ben's custom Stainless mufflers but he is now not making mufflers .

good Luck
CLTAMT
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Jul 28 2022, 10:49 AM' post='3018712']
If your heat exchangers are in good shape LEAVE them alone! Not worth the terrible expense to change to the earlier style. There is only one maker of the early stainless steel heat exchangers and that is Dansk. Besides the heat exchangers you would need muffler muffler bracket branch pipes j pipes warm air elbows air guide plates branch piece clamps and new heater control cable set shorter flex hoses and the gaskets and bolts and screws. NOT WORTH IT unless your heat exchangers have rusted away the built in branch piece and will not provide heat. My 75 2.0 had PLENTY of power with the stock heat exchangers and they provide plenty of heat. All you have to do for a california emissions car moved out of california is to remove the cat and put the 49 state pipe in its place. If you need a replacement muffler for 75 76 we have made an exact replica of the original but in stainless steel

[b] Thanks for responding George. I just bought this little life-long California car and I've got to replace ever piece of rubber and all hoses due to dry rot. So the engine is coming out for an underside refresh including all bushings, brake lines, ductings, etc.

But while the motor is out I want to replace anything that needs it, including those heat exchangers. Four exhaust pipes will definitely breath better than two! To me, if it adds 5hp and helps it run cooler I'm all for it! I'll keep that stock muffler in mind you have.

Thanks for the advice George and stay cool down there in Hot-Lanta!
CLTAMT
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jul 28 2022, 11:16 AM) *

QUOTE(CLTAMT @ Jul 28 2022, 10:34 AM) *

Hi folks,

Cheers! beerchug.gif

George is right your best bet is just to get his new SS muffler if you want the HE and your current 75 HE is in good condition.
But if its all in back condition you have 2 choices for back dating regarding HE/header- you can get a header pipe with no HE from Tangerine Racing, or SMC has brand new SS headers too, OR post a wanted to buy ad for a set of early SSHE or the steel HE like factory made, George has those too. but someone might have a nice set.

Oh and also check with Marty at MSDS they make awesome headers !!!
For mufflers to go wtih earil HE or headers, you have
Tangerine Racing, Dansk on several sites, and on SMC website new Bursch headers and sport muffler collectors, 914rubber new SS mufflers, Vintage speed i think on several sits including AA
The new SS products at SMC are made by Bursch.
i lucked out on my 75 when i got it my whole syste was shot and had to be replaced and i found a new set barely used by a guy on line , early SS HE sold them to me back then8 years ago for $350!!! those are now still mint clean and mated now with
one of Ben's custom Stainless mufflers but he is now not making mufflers .

good Luck

[b]Definitely need heat! Thank you very much for that info Dr. Phil and George. That's exactly why I wanted to reach out to you guys. I 'assumed' just from looking at pictures it would be an easy bolt-on going from the single pass HE's to the double pass HE's. I would prefer to replace the exhaust system with stainless steel components for the next owner if possible (my grandson).

Once again guys, thank you for taking the time to respond! biggrin.gif
rjames
If you want stainless exchangers, SSI is your only choice. Used ones go up for sale fairly regularly (or post a WTB ad), just make sure you pressure test them to ensure they don't have cracks.

Even if your current exchangers are good, I'd still recommend backdating if you have the funds to do so. You'll gain a bit of HP and have a lighter setup.

Good thread for reference:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=203694
CLTAMT
QUOTE(rjames @ Jul 28 2022, 11:59 AM) *

If you want stainless exchangers, SSI is your only choice. Used ones go up for sale fairly regularly (or post a WTB ad), just make sure you pressure test them to ensure they don't have cracks.

Even if your current exchangers are good, I'd still recommend backdating if you have the funds to do so. You'll gain a bit of HP and have a lighter setup.

Good thread for reference:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=203694

[b]Thank you Bob, I'm an aircraft tech by trade so I do know a little bit about aircooled engines and have worked on my own type I's and type 4's since the 70's. I'm in total agreement with you on upgrading the single pipe HE's even if the stock single pipe's are in serviceable condition. Mine are pretty rough looking, however I haven't gone over them with a fine-toothed comb to make sure they're not burned through or pitted. Regardless of whether or not they are, the tiny little exhaust pipe's can't possibly offer any performance benefits over the early model HE's, especially if there are better options.

I can only imagine VW starting using the single pipe manifolds to slow down the exhaust flow to help the catalytic converter do it's job better to meet emissions for that year, along with that stupid little power robbing air pump they used. But I may be wrong. If this type 4 motor was in a heavy bus that was cammed for extreme low-end torque I could see the advantage of leaving the single pass HE's alone.

But in a higher revving application like in a light weight 914, scavenging the exhaust gasses better SHOULD help - in theory.

I started the thread to ask about the quality of SSI's and the best place to buy them. All you guys have offered some valuable information and opinions, and I appreciate it! driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.