Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to 914- Wyoming
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ThemWyatts
bought my first 914 sight unseen from an impound lot 4 days ago, where it had been sitting for some time in the rain with the windows down. I drove over 1,300 miles to get it. Got there and truly fell in love. I am amazed at how much this car has affected me. To my relief it started on the first try. I was hooked at that very moment. I will be hooked forever!
I have a lot of work ahead of me, as we all do, I am no exception. Everything is original as best as I can tell, including the paint, it has a few missing spots on the hood and very little exterior rust. Luckily, there was a documentation binder in the car and I was able to track down the 2nd owner. I am the 4th owner. The 2nd owner sent me photos of the car in its Glory Days. I am anxious to get it back to the car it once was. I am not sure where to begin, but I found this forum and have been reading as much as I can. There is so much info and resources here. I truly have hope, thank you.

It seems to be leaking some oil, so any advice would be helpful , ie chronic problems, what to do not to do , where to start? I am also looking for a body decal that is no longer on the car, I am sure it was after market, but I really like the look of it. If anyone knows a resource for finding it, I would really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I am unable to load the picture, but will gladly e-mail it to you, if you have an outlet for one. It had einke wheels, which are now gone and it has maybe VW?? wheels on it, and of course all of the tires are all mismatched. So I am really not sure what size they should be. I don't want to flair the fenders. If anyone has a clue, please let me know. I would also like to get an original set of rims as well. I know.... all in good time.

This is my project car and I will be contacting many of you for desperate assistance, I am sure. I may also be trying to outbid you or buy from you on e-bay, please don't take the outbidding part too personal. A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do!

I am also very sure that I will be replacing my computer keyboard soon, from frantic typing to the forums here with oily hands.

Thanks again everyone! Keep posting and I will keep reading!

If anyone is in the Colorado-Wyoming area, I would love to hear form you. Drop me a line .

GWN7
Hello and welcome beerchug.gif
ablose58
WELCOME TO THE ASYLUM smilie_pokal.gif Good luck with the resto. AL monkeydance.gif beerchug.gif
VegasRacer
Welcome. wavey.gif We are glad you found us.
A new 914 owner, and a girl no less. driving-girl.gif

One the very top of the page cick on 'FAQ'.
There is a tutorial on how to post pictures.
rick 918-S
If you read the forums here you know this is coming...... biggrin.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif you with your car aktion035.gif driving-girl.gif
Ferg
Welcome! There are some local's with 914's close to you as well as a good group of us down here in the denver/boulder area. We have a small yahoo groups page for events, ect, just do a search under colorado 914 and sign up.

I know John Lush is near you, and also Dipshit (real name?) who post's here. Oh and yes, we need pictures of the car.

Ferg
ThemWyatts
Thank you all very much!
I was extremely disappointed to not be able to post pics.
I will certainly try again.

ClayPerrine
Welcome...

Everyone here is very willing to help out, so take advantage of us.

Oh, and besides pictures of the car, post pictures of yourself. (It gives the single guys hope that they can find a female 914 owner someday) ( except Miles, he just leaves the right seat out for the goat).

SirAndy
QUOTE (ThemWyatts @ Aug 5 2005, 07:38 AM)
I was extremely disappointed to not be able to post pics.

hey danna,
click here
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...ST&f=16&t=13637

for help on how to post pictures. the picture should be a JPG, roughly 640 x 480 pixels and 72 dpi, the maximum file size for pictures is 300kb ...
if you stick with the above dimensions, you'll be well under the size limit ...

and welcome to the club!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
wilchek
welcome aboard

You need to resize the pictures. Open them in "paint" go to "image" at the top menu. Go to "Stretch/skew" change both horizontal and vertical percentages to 50% and hit "OK" save under new name and upload to th club site. good luck.
seanery
welcome to the club! drooley.gif 914 chicks drooley.gif
TROJANMAN
check out the local forum ferg mentioned.

hope to see you at the RED ROCK CLASSIC

there will be a caravan driving out from denver.

welcome to the insanity............. unsure.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Aug 5 2005, 11:24 AM)
welcome to the insanity............. unsure.gif

hey gregor, is that 3rd car in your avatar a LE? looks white/red to me ...

idea.gif Andy
Ferg
Yes, that's Ron D's car...

better pic.

Maltese Falcon
Welcome to the coolest Porsche board around biggrin.gif
Der Falcon
ThemWyatts
Brant,

Thank you for the welcomed invitation! I don't think my car will be ready for something like Moab. I will plan to make it next year, when I will hopefully be able to drive it that long of a distance, without fear. Right now I am hesitant until I get to know it a little better. For now I am just trying to figure out the buttons, gizmos and gadgets.

Thank you, I will definitely stay in touch!

Oh and Special Thanks to VegasRacer who has so graciously offered to post pics on my behalf. Thanks for the tips Andy and Wilchek. I will master posting pics , if it kills me!

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

I will be here every opportunity I get!

Michael J
Welcome Danna,
This forum is truely the best informational resource you can find about any little detail on your new toy.

The good news is that there is lots of technical help and a good number of vendors to get parts from. I hesitate to say this but take a look at ebay. Just don't assume the prices are the best you will get and search this forum to read about some of the bad actors.

The bad news is that you may get hooked. 914's can become your most favorite drug and a LOT of time can be spent with them. So have fun and bleed these guys dry. If you stick around long enough you will see that they deserve it. Not to mention that most folks here are great people.
TravisNeff
Welcome! I suggest getting a full engine and tranny gasket kit(s), you'll end up using a bunch of them and is far cheaper than misc. seals here and there.
ThemWyatts

Mike, You are absolutely right, this is the best place to be for the right information and the best people. My Momma didn't raise a fool, I not only know how to shop, but I know how to shop around.
Travis, I will heed your advice and look into it.

Drive Fast & Drive Safe
VegasRacer
Here is what we have all be asking for - Pictures of Danna's teener.
VegasRacer
More
VegasRacer
Rear
VegasRacer
Nice dash
VegasRacer
The money shot
VegasRacer
Last, but certainly not least - the happy new owner. girlboing.gif
Gint
QUOTE (ThemWyatts @ Aug 5 2005, 10:08 PM)
Brant,

Thank you for the welcomed invitation!  I don't think my car will be ready for something like Moab. I will plan to make it next year, when I will hopefully  be able to drive it that long of a distance, without fear. Right now I am hesitant until I get to know it a little better.  For now I am  just trying to figure out the buttons, gizmos and gadgets.

Welcome Danna!

dipshit would be Mark. He and John are both in WY. near Cheyenne. And as was said previously there are a good number of us in the Denver metro area.

BTW - You don't need a 914 to attend the Red Rocks Classic. You should really try to make it. It's not that far and you'll get to see more 914s and talk to more 914 whackjobs in one place than you're likely to in Cheyenne.
ThemWyatts
This is my teener in what I call his Glory Days, I obtained the pic from the 2nd owner, who was gracious enough to send me some pics. The pic appears to be dated 01-82. I love the side body decal. I would really like to find one. If anyone knows where I may find it, please let me know.
I will attempt to post the pic, fingers crossed.
ThemWyatts
clap.gif I did it! clap.gif
Life is good!

seanery
congrats on the pic...nice car! She looked awesome in 82!!!
ThemWyatts
Thank you, that is my inspiration photo! Little by little one part and piece at a time.
VegasRacer
WooHoo smilie_pokal.gif You did it mueba.gif You go girl.
I hope all you your future 914 problems are as easy to solve.

Mike Zois does the Negative Side Stripe graphic you are looking for.
Check it out here.
Warning: Bunny Boy / Daschund Dad is not quite as bad as his reputation.
However if / when you meet him in person don't get in groping range.
Hawktel
QUOTE (ThemWyatts @ Aug 6 2005, 08:47 AM)
I love the side body decal. I would really like to find one. If anyone knows where I may find it, please let me know.

Mike Z does the side graphics, if he doesn't have one he can make them. If his dude is out of jail he can make them I mean.
ThemWyatts

Thanks for the link. I will check out moto-delta.com.

I have to get plates, to get him on the road. I am having trouble trying to figure out what to put on them.
Because I live in Wyoming a 2 must appear before the 4-letter text.
So 2 as in TOO something? Just not sure.
I think 2 FAST has been taken and 2 COOL, also.
Wanna help me name the plates?

2 _ _ _ _ ??????
I am ready to get it on the road, but I need plates first!

ThemWyatts
Looks like I am going to need a plate mounting bracket, first ! wink.gif
VegasRacer
Being limited to 2 _ _ _ _ makes it kind of tough. At least you live in a good county. Many of the others would be much harder.

Wyoming does not allow you to register Y.O.M. (year of manufacture) plates.
The Pioneer plates have a restriction for limited use.

2KLBS = Two Thousand Pounds
2TRNK = Two Trunks
2XFUN = Two Times Fun or Double Fun
seanery
2SLOW
2RSTY
2CUTE
2DOT0
2FUNN
2OOLD
ClayPerrine
2Seat
Betty
QUOTE (ThemWyatts @ Aug 6 2005, 10:33 PM)

"I have to get plates, to get him on the road."

Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of 914 ownership! I've had my car for going on 20 years now.

I noticed you keep referring to your new car as "him". My car is a male too!

How about "2GRVY" (Too Groovy) for the license plates? It's certainly from the era of the car. biggrin.gif

ThemWyatts
Thank you all- Keep the plate names coming! Such creativity out there!

Yes, I am lucky that the county is 2 county.

My car is definitely a "HE", unlike any car that I have ever owned, all have been she's. I say that because 3 out of the 4 owners were women and the one male that had it, really trashed it, he drove it hard and put very little into it. He has been well taken car of by women. He isn't needy, he doesn't complain. He isn't high maintenance like us women can be, sometimes. Plus he just feels good. I wouldn't feel right calling him a girl. I have taken him on the road after dark (no plates, yet) only because I can't just let him sit there. He needs to be driven! He is strong and solid and responds to my every mood and whim.

I would love to know your thoughts behind your car being a "HIM".

VegasRacer
Birgit (a seldom seen and much missed administrator here) has a male 914.

Does your car have a name yet Danna, or just a gender?
ThemWyatts
Just a gender for now. I am sure a name will come the more I know his personality.
Brad Roberts
You still alive?

How is the car coming?

B
plymouth37
QUOTE(ThemWyatts @ Aug 6 2005, 03:33 PM) *

Thanks for the link. I will check out moto-delta.com.

I have to get plates, to get him on the road. I am having trouble trying to figure out what to put on them.
Because I live in Wyoming a 2 must appear before the 4-letter text.
So 2 as in TOO something? Just not sure.
I think 2 FAST has been taken and 2 COOL, also.
Wanna help me name the plates?

2 _ _ _ _ ??????
I am ready to get it on the road, but I need plates first!

county 2, thats cheyenne right? any way here is my standard issue wyoming plate. the people at the dmv let me paw through all the available plates and pick out what I wanted. try to get service like that in the big city!
I say make it a sleeper: drop a v8 in it, some quiet exhaust and get 2 SLOW.

IPB Image
cooltimes
2MUCH says it all.

MikeCool
Kirmizi
Yuppers, county #2 is Laramie County (Cheyenne). When I got my plates, the woman at the DMV flipped through the stack to find a good one for me. Only in Wyoming. Mike
Brad Roberts
Mike,

do you know this lady? Last time I checked Laramie only had 50k people or so and half where UW students...LOL

B
Kirmizi
Negative, I've never met her. I just got back into the 914 affliction in March, when I bought a '75 from a guy here in Cheyenne. I've met Gint, when I drove to Denver to check out the "Budget Car" and a couple owners here in Cheyenne. To be honest, I'm kind of surprised at the number of "Teeners" in town. There's six I know of, not counting Danna's. You're right on Laramie's population too, highly subject to change depending upon the time of year. LOL Mike
Brad Roberts
Sounds like enough people for a Cheyenne 914 breakfast!! clap56.gif

Welcome to the club!

B
effutuo101
I lived in Cheyenne for about 10 years. I only saw a hand full of 914's on the road. Welcome to the club! Please post pic's as you do stuff, this crew can point out or send pic's of how stuff is supposed to look.
Chris
majkos
welcome to the club,"Themwyatt"
Name your 914,say ahmm?,Kevin!? LOL!
I live south of you in Lakewood,(Denver burb)
and have gone thru 9,NINE 914's so have plenty of parts.

LMK if you need anything,heck! I might even deliver,
I'ven't been in Wym,since Thanksgiving and don't miss the winds.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.