Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question on Connecting rod modificatiion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
finchmunoz
Any engine builder might help me with an advice…

I’m building my 78x96 engine and found an issue with the piston pin… my liner kit came with 24mm pins and the rods are 22mm.

Can I have the rods opened up to 24mm? Will it be safe? (I’m using a c55 cam - 7k rpm maximum). The machinist will end up reaming the rods taking out 1mm to allow the pins to fit

Your opinions will really help.

TIA
Click to view attachment
Montreal914
You will actually need to bore out the connecting rod larger than 24mm since you should have a bushing in there. dry.gif At this point, your rod will have been weaken a lot at the small end.

I would get the right pistons with 22mm wrist pin, such as the Keith Black for stroker.
finchmunoz
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jul 31 2022, 06:11 PM) *

You will actually need to bore out the connecting rod larger than 24mm since you should have a bushing in there. dry.gif At this point, your rod will have been weaken a lot at the small end.

I would get the right pistons with 22mm wrist pin, such as the Keith Black for stroker.

PMd you. I’m interested on your KB liners
cgnj
I have a few questions before I toss my opinion.

Have you test fit your crank, cam & rods in the case?
What size are the rod journals?
How long are the rods?
What is the chamber volume?

Assuming that you have no clearance issues, I would use either KB stroker pistons, or JE pistons.
There is a big difference in the weight of 22mm pins compared to 24mm. I don't recall the difference, but I weighed both types on an analytical scale. Less rotating = free power.

Good Luck with the build.
pistons
ChrisFoley
Didn't the machinist tell you altering the rods that way was a bad idea?
930cabman
Find the correct pistons. I would not alter the rod's
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.