Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiper motor repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ishley
When I got my 72, 1.7 the fan and the wipers did not work. I knew the fan was likely full of debris as the grill was off on top of the unit. I got the blower out and cleaned everything out and tested… all is good.

Now I’m trying to remove the wiper mechanism as I want to test the motor and checkout/cleanup the mechanism. I can’t get it out. I know there is a back nut to remove under the dash. I think I can feel it when I reach way up under the dash. I’ve searched the forums and can’t find a procedure. I think I saw a post once to remove the gauge cluster to get to the nut. Is this the best way to get to it? Can it be done without taking the gauges out?

Thanks in advance for help from those who have done this.
Ishley
Figured it out. Swivel socket on a long reach behind the ash try. Screwed around for hours yesterday. Once I went behind the ashtray I had it in 5 min. Oh well. Live and learn.
nditiz1
Super easy to see if you remove the speedo gauge. Even more room if you drop the whole cluster fwd. Remove steering wheel to help with that as well. If you want to short cut it, you can do it blindly, but you won't be able to easily put it back without taking out the gauge so it is advisable to just do it right the first time.

Edit: didn't know about the ash tray trick. Maybe I'll use that next time.
Ishley
Ashtray approach works but barely. It will be tough to get nut back on.

Tested and the system works. Must be a switch or wiring issue that I will track down before I put it all back together.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.