Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help me help you Seal fitment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
rhodyguy
This is a back ordered seal I bought in 06' I think.. the curve is formed to fit the the trim piece. The joined point of the cross piece and down leg is distinct.

Sorry about the wrong side up photos. More to follow.
rhodyguy
Asdf
rhodyguy
I bought the backordered seal from my local P dealer.
mb911
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 15 2022, 09:05 AM) *

I see you can get a seal directly from Porsche now. Is that Uro or actually porsche making the seals thru the original vendor?
rhodyguy
Was URO even on the radar 16 years ago? 2 top front seals showed up in Tacoma. Dave Hunt got one and I got the other. At the time they seemed very expensive. I imagine there are a few other NOS around.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 15 2022, 01:16 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 15 2022, 09:05 AM) *

I see you can get a seal directly from Porsche now. Is that Uro or actually porsche making the seals thru the original vendor?

When I buy from my local p dealer, they allow full returns for a week, even through the discount site.
burton73
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 15 2022, 10:53 AM) *

Was URO even on the radar 16 years ago? 2 top front seals showed up in Tacoma. Dave Hunt got one and I got the other. At the time they seemed very expensive. I imagine there are a few other NOS around.

I have a new one on shelf from Porsche back 12 or so years ago where George at AA got a bunch of them. it is stamped with a white GERMANY on it. Still has the powder.

Back then guys where asking $500 for used ones as there when none of them around.

Bob B
wonkipop
@mikey914 and @rhodyguy

thanks mikey for explanation about joining of sections.
figured it must have been something like a "dowel" joint.

rhodyguy you got my head spinining with your photo.
i could see its the real deal from the porsche bag.
but it is not the same as the seal in my 74 which is original.
but you had me doubting my seal. blink.gif

so i went to the PET.
sure enough they changed the seal.
they also changed the chrome pillar channel.
change at end of 73.
EDIT
the one you have from porsche is the later seal (see part #s)?
but i should have the later seal. theoretically.
except they never changed bits necessarily at model year but sometimes part way through. so i have an early seal in car still?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

the upper joint with corner block across the top of windscreen looks to be in same spot.
but the joint with the pillar profile is not such an extended leg out of the corner block and is much closer to corner block.

comparison photo.

Click to view attachment

edit - i have the text wrong in these photos as initially i thought having a 74 i had later seal,
but i don't think so looking at the part # on rhodyguy's factory seal. believe its the other way around and i have a 74 but still has early seal?

its an elaborate looking joint too on my 74. there is a flap of rubber that extends up from pillar section and runs across the corner block that the glass rests against.

i agree with you rhodyguy that the pillar channel has a formed curve - can't tell on mine because its installed but its clear in your photos.

looking at all these photos i am sure that extension of the corner block to allow it to be joined and bonded with the pillar extrusion is problematic. the "dowel" joint between teh sections would make that particular area less flexible compared to the rest of the rubber sections. its harder for the rubber to relax around the curve at the top of the pillar?

and mikey914. keep up the good work. i take my hat off to you for making this extrusion. what a headache. its great that you make these parts and even better that you steward the product. beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
Comparing to the photo in post #15, the curve looks consistently thick. Not a 'thickening' like mine. You can see it in the side reveal. Also, the butt end that contacts the top side seal is shorter on mine. 1/8-1/4" on mine. In other pictures the longer butt ends push the side seal back when the front hook tightens up.
wonkipop
i got very curious after looking at @rhodyguy 's replacement porsche part seal with correct later part # on it.

i have at least worked out the seal in my 74 is the later seal - its original to the car, i do know that, so its the later seal but one that went into the car in 1974.

my car's seal is exactly the same as this seal i found on a very original 75 (from BAT).
mine has the same 45 degree corrugations for water seal.
the joint between the corner block looks to be in same place up close to the block.
(but its hard to know for sure - i've looked at mine real close and the joint is definitely not where it is on rhodyguy's newer seal from the porsche.

Click to view attachment

here is a 73 that a new member bought recently (another member had a thread on it when he was cleaning it up). a very original and intact white 73. looks to have its original seal. seems early seals don't have the corrugations and maybe the profile of the windscreen frame to roof is a little different in terms of shape and ridges. i stand to be corrected on that as i don't see many 914s down here and its 30 years since i looked at a 73. so i never noticed these kinds of details.

Click to view attachment

and here is the yellow 914/6 that was recently for sale on BAT.
a restored car.
looks to me like its got new seals in and they appear to be very much like the one rohdyguy posted above in plastic bag.
these are probably a run of seals done for porsche at a much later date (80s/90s?) by perhaps a different manufacturer?
the way the pillar seal meets the corner block is different. the joint appears to be further from the corner block.
so------- even the genuine porsche parts that were around may not have been manufactured exactly the way the original seals were done back in the 70s?

Click to view attachment

not sure how that helps things.
but the way they were made looks a little different in the 70s and a secret has been lost? seal may be hard to duplicate in terms of just how it was made but it went into the cars a lot easier on the assembly line?
Mikey914
Honestly the door changes were the only Real changes made. Consistung og of the vertical track roller to fuzzies, the aluminum to accomidate the smaller end caps, and the outer scraper seal profile. Lastly the aluminium on the pillar. The tabs were made slightly shorter.
There were the major changes that affect Tor are adjacent this seal.
After studying many fallen seals the later versión doesn’t come apart in the corners, This is why we went this direction. There are tradeoffs but following factory on this one. The earlier ones we made were Like the early. They were harder to bond also.

bkrantz
Not sure what this means, but I took a photo of a straight edge laid along the front of the triangle window. BTW, I did try to shove the glass into the rubber along the front of the channel, and it seems fully (rearward) seated.

Anyway, it looks to me like my alignment problem has to do with how the rubber cap (and the top of the glass) do not align with the rest of the glass edge. Compare to the photo of my car that Mark included in the opening post. Given that the A-pillar, and the attached weatherstrip section, follow a straight line, these two objects will never close together without a gap.

Some possible corrections:
1. Make a top cap that projects further forward to line up with the projection of the glass edge. (And also maybe make the cap shorter)
2. Shift the triangle glass so it sits further to the rear or downward. BTW, I used factory vent window rubber. One problem with this solution is that my channel is already adjusted all the way forward, so moving the glass rearward will create a gap from top to bottom.
3. Make the A-pillar rubber extensions of the targa seal more complex, and not a simple extrusion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.