Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fender flairs for a 10" rear wheel in steel ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914GTSTI
Been looking at my 914 project and need some help. Thinking of using a 295/50r15 on a 10" x 15" x -35 offset. Is their a steel flair that can do this using the 914GT look ?
Thanks
mepstein
Nothing stock. A couple people have widened their steel flares.

Ron S. comes to mind.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...03&hl=Flare
SirAndy
10" is not going to work under stock rear flares.

The available space is pretty much exactly 10" (with rolled inner lip) and there's no room to spare.
So even with the perfect wheel offset, you will be rubbing tires the moment the suspension moves.

Now, if you had enough clearance on the inside, you *could* take a baseball bat to the outside and roll the whole fender out until you get enough space.

Or, do what is shown above and splice in an inch or so to give you enough space.
popcorn[1].gif
ConeDodger
This is two 16X6 wheels made in to one 16X8.5. The reproduction flares have more flange on them than the factory so the flange had to be ‘nibbled’ a bit. Harvey played with the offset a bit to make these work, but I’d guess they are the limit without sectioning and metalworking additional width on the flares.

Please excuse the unpainted flare. It looks better now.
infraredcalvin
You may want to be sure whatever brakes you use fit under those 15” wheels. I know 993TT and boxster need at least a 16” and sometimes a spacer, messes with offsets…

I’m assuming with those fat tires you’ve got power, and hopefully a nice braking system…

Edit:fixed erroneous info
mepstein
Boxster calipers will usually fit a 15” Fuchs or cookie. They often don’t fit on reproduction Fuchs. We put a lot of Boxster calipers on project cars when I worked at the Porsche shop.
914GTSTI
Thanks.

I was looking at Ron s's fenders and was thinking that will be the way to go ?

What is the max wheel that will fit the GT flair ? 8" ?
914GTSTI
Maybe some thing like a 265/50r15 on a 8" x 15" x -16. That could work ?

As for brakes I was thinking about the Boxster but have never worked on them. I did get a set of Boxster hubs to work with but never got any further with them.Think their is a photo here installing them on my trailing arms.
mepstein
QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Aug 11 2022, 12:43 AM) *

Thanks.

I was looking at Ron s's fenders and was thinking that will be the way to go ?

What is the max wheel that will fit the GT flair ? 8" ?

It's really about the wheel tire combo. You may be able to fit 9's but it won't be with a fat tire. Look at it this way, a stock 914 will comfortably take a 6" wheel with a 205x60 tire. Flares generally add 2" of width. Anything more needs modification (rolling the lip, tugging the fender, adding metal)

If you use Boxster calipers, remember, you need the standard ones, not the S version.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 11 2022, 06:23 AM) *
It's really about the wheel tire combo. You may be able to fit 9's but it won't be with a fat tire.

agree.gif

The absolute max i can run on my car is 9.5" wide tires. That's with wheel spacers to get the perfect offset. I have the outer fender lip completely shaved off and i can't get my pinky between the tires and the fender.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2892794
driving.gif

23.0x9.5x15 on 7x15 cookie cutters with Boxster calipers
IPB Image
mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 11 2022, 11:52 AM) *

It's really about the wheel tire combo. You may be able to fit 9's but it won't be with a fat tire.

agree.gif

The absolute max i can run on my car is 9.5" wide tires. That's with wheel spacers to get the perfect offset. I have the outer fender lip completely shaved off and i can't get my pinky between the tires and the fender.
driving.gif

Andy - Are you fenders glass. They run a slight bit wider if I recall. Maybe since they bond to the fender instead of but welding. If I’m wrong about the glass, Fuhgeddaboudit
tygaboy
These are Ronals. Fronts are 8x16, same offset as the Fuchs 8", running 225/50 and no spacers.
Rears are 16x 9, but where the Fuchs 9" is a -15 offset, these happen to be -13. Running 245/45 and no spacers.
They fill up standard steel GT flares really nicely, IMO.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 11 2022, 10:34 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 11 2022, 11:52 AM) *

agree.gif

driving.gif

Andy - Are you fenders glass. They run a slight bit wider if I recall. Maybe since they bond to the fender instead of but welding. If I’m wrong about the glass, Fuhgeddaboudit

Glass. And with all the bondo on this car, i wouldn't be surprised if i had an extra 1/4" of space under there.
biggrin.gif
914GTSTI
Is their a list of gauges of metal on the 914 and where it is used on the car ?
rick 918-S
Here is another method.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=914+coop
914GTSTI
Thanks for the link.
914werke
To run that big meat I hope you have a lot of motor ~
914GTSTI
Good point.
If I go with the 2.0 V2 STI, something like 200 to 300 at the wheels +-. Its all boost .
Still not sure about the 4 cylinder ? Had that motor in my Rally Forster.
This has a poor sound,

Or I go with a EZ 30-33-36 ? This would be a N/A motor. Maybe 250 to 300 +- ?
This has the sound that is more like the 6 used in the 914-6. Love the sound.

Sounds funny, to have it to come down to sound.
sixnotfour
11.5 x 17 315/35 tires
914GTSTI
Nice ! What size up front ? Looks like 8" ?
914GTSTI
What gauge are the GT flairs out of Auto Atlanta ?
ChrisFoley
I think 19ga is the closest in thickness to body panels. 20ga is slightly thinner than fender metal.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Aug 12 2022, 08:28 PM) *

Nice ! What size up front ? Looks like 8" ?

10 x 17
914GTSTI
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Aug 13 2022, 11:11 AM) *

I think 19ga is the closest in thickness to body panels. 20ga is slightly thinner than fender metal.

Thanks.
burton73
We are a car club and if we can shed any insight into what works where, I think that is good. We all have visions. I followed Ron’s posting on how he widened the body and I thought
(That looks easy) looked easy but not if you do not have that skillset.

On my 6 with 30 ( Number 41) I was running 8 and 9s 911 numbers on Fuchs and decided to change out the wheels to 16in x 8 and 7x16 911-part numbers. The fit is great IMHO. This picture in front of PMB Performance shows that change. You have so much to deal with already why not make it easier on yourself?

I had a 914 V8 car in 1979 with fiberglass fender flares fitting 8s up front and 11s in back very shiny black paint. It looked very badass for back then it had center lines and P7s and it handled great but I was more impressed in the Straight-Line performance. I bought that car from Johnny one of the guitar players in Earth, wind and fire . I drove it over the canon ( Beverly Glen) in Los Angeles every day for several months . Handled fine but had a big ass. Parking is a little weird

Bob B
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Or this Cal effect done in the 80s..12X15
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.