Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NEW 914 CV Joints ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
No real info to quote other than they are SUPPOSED to fit. Looks like they machined a stock Beetle joint for gasket and step drilled 10mm holes at the 3 and 9 positions. Comes in a kit with boot and grease from GKN/Lorbo the OEM German manufacturer.
914werke
Ive had these available for awhile. smile.gif (got some at machine shop now!)

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
I had four of these on the shelf for years and finally needed fresh for my GT project.
They work fine but in my experience require real effort to seat on the 914 shaft.
Anyone else ? no other choice ? they're new and do work.
914Sixer
The kit is NOT something made up. CV joints are from the original manufacturer Lobro now owned by GKN. They should be within factory specifications.
rgalla9146
Modified and offered as a kit by an OEM supplier...... thats a good thing
JeffBowlsby
Probably a dumb question...why do they only fit 73-76 914s and not the early cars?
914werke
Not sure but I think that image shows a /6 CV with its lessor spline count.
This has been the issue for a while where Porsche ( & the vendors) list the /6 the same as the part fitting the /4.
Only to order & receive it .. SURPRISE!
Have you ordered these Mark?
bkrantz
Critical for 914-4 is the spline count, and the larger holes for the dowel pins. Recess for the gasket is nice to have.

Note that the new boots I have seen include metal flanges that do not fit tight on the CV joint. I added some large diameter O-rings for a better seal to keep the grease inside.
914Sixer
No, I have not purchased these. I think they are showing they fit 73-76 to keep them from being confused with -6 parts but that is only a guess.
brant
My experience with 2 years of testing the modified earlier version of these is that they wear much quicker than the originals
930cabman
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 11 2022, 08:38 PM) *

Critical for 914-4 is the spline count, and the larger holes for the dowel pins. Recess for the gasket is nice to have.

Note that the new boots I have seen include metal flanges that do not fit tight on the CV joint. I added some large diameter O-rings for a better seal to keep the grease inside.

Exactly, either they fit or they don't. I want to believe someone out there has an OEM spec CV that will install without modifications.
bbrock
QUOTE(930cabman @ Aug 12 2022, 07:46 AM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 11 2022, 08:38 PM) *

Exactly, either they fit or they don't. I want to believe someone out there has an OEM spec CV that will install without modifications.

You can buy compete axle assemblies from Porsche that will plug right in. Then you have 914/6 axles that will fit the CV joints in the future. Problem is those axle assemblies used to be something like $250 which was quite reasonable, but a couple years ago (and shortly before I went shopping for CV joints as luck would have it) they jacked the price way up to something like $900 per assembly.

I got super lucky when @914_7T3 scored a NOS 914/4 axle assembly at a screaming price for me. piratenanner.gif

BTW, wasn't @Eric_Shea working with GNC to possibly do a run of 914/4 joints at one time?

It still puzzles me why there were ever two versions of axles in the first place. Seems like it just added production cost with no benefit confused24.gif
Superhawk996
Better than worn out joints but still appears that 6 hold CV joint boots are the only thing available sad.gif

Keep you old CV boots if at all possible.
Eric_Shea
Been doing these for years...

https://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...868/9926705.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.