Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing TPS - does the throttle body have to come off?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FlacaProductions
I have a little stumble/hesitation right around 3k cruising. All else is good. Unplugged the TPS and the stumble goes away. It's pretty clear.

Looking to do a quick clean until i have time and can get a replacement board here. Can I just take the connector and two mounting screws off the side of the TPS and pull it off the shaft without having to remove the air cleaner housing and throttle body, etc?
914werke
No. unplug the harness connector, two small (M4) screws on either side & pull out, off of the D-shaft.
GregAmy
^^^Ditto, but...if you're going through all that trouble, just buy a new TPS board:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=129025
https://914rubber.com/2-0-l-throttle-position-sensor-board

Note it needs to be adjusted after reinstall: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...alibrate_20.jpg

EDIT! I see yours is a 1.7. See this link for purchase: https://914rubber.com/search/?q=tps
EDIT2! ...and I now see current is 2L and former was 1.7....
FlacaProductions
Thanks for this Rich @914werke and @GregAmy .

I'm ordering a board (and it IS a 74 2.0) but just confirming that I can do as Rich said and just two screws and the connector. NO throttle body, etc. needs to come off - and yes on the adjustment after install.

Perfect. Thanks for making sure I had it right in my head.
Lockwodo
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Aug 23 2022, 06:09 PM) *

I have a little stumble/hesitation right around 3k cruising. All else is good. Unplugged the TPS and the stumble goes away. It's pretty clear.

Looking to do a quick clean until i have time and can get a replacement board here. Can I just take the connector and two mounting screws off the side of the TPS and pull it off the shaft without having to remove the air cleaner housing and throttle body, etc?

In my experience, best to pull the throttle body so you can have it on a workbench when replacing the TPS and calibrating it. Super easy to do with throttle body off the car.
rjames
Easy to remove the TPS without removing the TB and easy to calibrate in the car. If you do remove the TB, have a new gasket on hand.
JamesM
On a 2.0 its no problem. On a 1.7 it might be a tricky endeavor to try and get it off without pulling the throttle body.

FlacaProductions
I think I'll try it without pulling the TB first - messes with less, overall.
Lockwodo
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Aug 24 2022, 05:59 AM) *

I think I'll try it without pulling the TB first - messes with less, overall.

A pair of ohm meter test leads with micro alligator clips will help for the calibration step. The TPS pins will be facing downwards but with a mirror you'll be able to connect the leads to the right pins.
FlacaProductions
Good tip on the clips - got those - good to go.
Highland
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Aug 24 2022, 10:44 AM) *

Good tip on the clips - got those - good to go.

If you're in an experimenting mood and haven't ordered a new board yet, I'd be glad to send you this one for free. I had these made just for fun but haven't had an application to test them.

Click to view attachment

Just my opinion, but in my experience removing and re-installing the TB is less work than trying to calibrate the TPS in an awkward position.
FlacaProductions
Thanks @Highland - I'm probably not the right guy to burn one of these on as i'm only here with the 914 for another couple of days and it's not worth the fedex costs. I'm going to pull the TPS before I head back to LA and do the board swap there - then it'll be a few weeks before i'm back to do the re-install.

That said - if you want to send me one, I'd happily be a guinea pig but won't be able to report right back!
Highland
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Aug 25 2022, 07:07 AM) *

Thanks @Highland - I'm probably not the right guy to burn one of these on as i'm only here with the 914 for another couple of days and it's not worth the fedex costs. I'm going to pull the TPS before I head back to LA and do the board swap there - then it'll be a few weeks before i'm back to do the re-install.

That said - if you want to send me one, I'd happily be a guinea pig but won't be able to report right back!

@FlacaProductions Sure, I'll send you one. I'm in no rush to get feedback. Just PM me your address. I got 20 of them for $4 when I was ordering PCB's for another project. biggrin.gif
FlacaProductions
914world karma strikes again...PM sent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.