Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dumb axle question.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
Trying to get the driver side axle back in without taking to much apart.i am not having much luck. I have the shock bolt out and have the axle started in the housing but can't get enough angle on the stub to fit that into the hub. What tricks do you all have? My next step is some tubing as a guide?
mepstein
I think last time I did it I had the axle off at the trans stub. Fitted it into the hub and then bolted it on to the trans.
Maybe drop the trailing arm out of the car to get the angle you need.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 26 2022, 04:12 PM) *

I think last time I did it I had the axle off at the trans stub. Fitted it into the hub and then bolted it on to the trans.

Yup that will be the next step after the pipe.. just didn't want to mess with more alignment stuff..
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 26 2022, 06:12 PM) *

That's how I've done it in the past too.
pneuhyde
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 26 2022, 03:48 PM) *

Trying to get the driver side axle back in without taking to much apart.i am not having much luck. I have the shock bolt out and have the axle started in the housing but can't get enough angle on the stub to fit that into the hub. What tricks do you all have? My next step is some tubing as a guide?

I believe I took the starter out, giving me enough angle to slide it in?
targa72e
Just did this last weekend. i did the trailing arm ends first then the tranny. When I have had issues in the past where the axle was "too long" to get on the tranny hubs I just loosened the engine and tranny mounts a little and pushed to one side. After fitting axle I just tightened mounts back down (they kind of self center).

john
barefoot
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 26 2022, 08:50 PM) *

Yup that will be the next step after the pipe.. just didn't want to mess with more alignment stuff..

To avoid any alignment issues, I drilled a 1/4" hole up thru the arm mounting part up into the body so i could pin it into place on re-attachment. (assuming alignment was good initially)
mb911
QUOTE(barefoot @ Aug 27 2022, 04:29 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 26 2022, 08:50 PM) *

To avoid any alignment issues, I drilled a 1/4" hole up thru the arm mounting part up into the body so i could pin it into place on re-attachment. (assuming alignment was good initially)

That's an idea. I will think on that.

Seems the starter removal paired with my guide tube should do the trick. It's much easier to install for the initial build.

This winter it's getting an upgrade.
mb911
So the starter removal and the steel tube as a guide for the stub axle did it. Took all of 15 minutes this morning with that removed.
930cabman
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 29 2022, 08:02 AM) *

So the starter removal and the steel tube as a guide for the stub axle did it. Took all of 15 minutes this morning with that removed.

Another victory cheer.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 29 2022, 10:02 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif
Highland
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 29 2022, 07:02 AM) *

Trying to unsuccessfully imagine steel tube guide. Don’t suppose anyone has a picture. The last time I did this I disconnected the shock to bring the trailing arm all the way down. I real pain cause of the torsion bar. This sound much easier and would like to learn how.
mb911
QUOTE(Highland @ Aug 29 2022, 12:14 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 29 2022, 07:02 AM) *

Trying to unsuccessfully imagine steel tube guide. Don’t suppose anyone has a picture. The last time I did this I disconnected the shock to bring the trailing arm all the way down. I real pain cause of the torsion bar. This sound much easier and would like to learn how.

It's a 1 diameter steel tube 12 inches long. Fits over the threaded part of the stub axle and fits into the splines of the hub so easy to get into the right spot..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.