Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painted muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NARP74
I guess I have a 916 like rear bumper and one the of the POs decided to paint the muffler so it blended in to the back end better. I am not sure the car was running when that happened. It is now and every time I crawl underneath to look at or work on something I get covered with black flakes.

Looks like I will have to take it off and do something with it. It there a suitable hi temp paint for this or some other option that I can look at. I don't really know what the unpainted muffler looks like yet until I get more of the flaking paint off.
mb911
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Aug 28 2022, 03:07 PM) *

I guess I have a 916 like rear bumper and one the of the POs decided to paint the muffler so it blended in to the back end better. I am not sure the car was running when that happened. It is now and every time I crawl underneath to look at or work on something I get covered with black flakes.

Looks like I will have to take it off and do something with it. It there a suitable hi temp paint for this or some other option that I can look at. I don't really know what the unpainted muffler looks like yet until I get more of the flaking paint off.

Paint it with hi temp Grey primer. Matches the original finish pretty well.
bbrock
Is it a Bursch by any chance? I'm not sure what the point of the paint they use (or at least used to use) is. The black paint was flaking off mine when I pulled it out of the shipping box brand new. Luckily it completely burned off to bare metal within the first 100 miles of use.
914sgofast2
Use BBQ paint, made by Rustoleum
NARP74
It is not a Bursch. I have one on my other car that is holding up pretty well.
mb911
This is all Hi heat primerClick to view attachment
barnfind9141972
They sell VHT engine header paint in different colors or a metal color, they work great and don’t flake. They have a clear too which helps and is made for the heat
Cairo94507
If you do not want to paint it, have to ceramic coated. beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
Grill paint works and I have used it before.
Ceracote is supposed to be better, but I have not used it (though I may, I need to repaint my Triad before I put it back on).
Ceramic coating is the BEST option. Not only does it provide color, it also keeps the heat in your pipes and helps keep under the engine cooler.

Zach
NARP74
I have MSDS headers on this one, they are black and holding up really well. No signs of flaking at all. I wonder what they use?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.