Pages: 1, 2
mepstein
Yep, just patina.
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Aug 30 2022, 04:13 PM) *

Hey, maybe I can con the owner out of the frizbee in the seat lol-2.gif

You beat me to it Anyways 2nd in line
Superhawk996
All I know is that by relative comparison I must have gotten a screaming deal on my rust bucket. And to think - that it still had shinny exterior paint on it.

@bbrock . I'm not saying it's not worth saving. I'd love to see it saved. It's just that there aren't many as screwy.gif as you (or me) that would want to pay $1800 or even $1200 for the experience of starting with that car.

As we see by this thread, value is highly subjective.

I very well could be wrong. . . . the market will decide.
bbrock
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 30 2022, 07:47 PM) *

All I know is that by relative comparison I must have gotten a screaming deal on my rust bucket. And to think - that it still had shinny exterior paint on it.

@bbrock . I'm not saying it's not worth saving. I'd love to see it saved. It's just that there aren't many as screwy.gif as you (or me) that would want to pay $1800 or even $1200 for the experience of starting with that car.

As we see by this thread, value is highly subjective.

I very well could be wrong. . . . the market will decide.

I think $1,200 would be an easy number for me if I were looking for a project, which I am not, because there's easily $1,200 in good parts in that car. Even the bumper cap looks good.

Going in, I would plan for replacing that long, both door jambs, battery tray (that's a given), part of the engine shelf, possibly the targa sail panels, maybe the doors, and a lot of patch welding. Still a short list compared to what it could be.

Of course you are right, taking your time and shopping around would find a better car to start with if getting it on the road quick is the goal. This is a car from someone who WANTS a project and I acknowledge the fact that only an unstable person would want such a thing.

We do have to be mindful that the market has changed since you and I bought our cars. Heck, even when I started my resto, there wasn't a snowballs chance in hell the car would be worth more than I put into it when it was done. My how things changed in those few years. I'm afraid the $500 deals may be a thing of the past.
Literati914
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Aug 30 2022, 07:54 PM) *

..,the floors are awesome. ..(&).. Show me the car you "would buy" and I will ask you for 8 grand.... And you will still have to rebuild the longs and the hell hole. And probably the frunk too.

The floor thing is BIG actually, and agree.gif pretty much any "project car's" gonna need work in those other areas. It's priced as a project car would be, though I agree too is a bit high, so someone will make a reasonable offer and get a descent project.

nathanxnathan
As scary as the passenger long looks to my California eyes, Buffalonians are like, "not too bad really" biggrin.gif

I grew up in Buffalo. Cars get eaten up by the salt monster.
targa72e
I would say that at $1800 the price is irrelevant to what it will cost if you plan to fix it, might as well be free. By the time you strip, repair, paint and re-assemble the original cost is long gone. There are absolutely some good parts. My opinion coming from a dry climate is skewed. I would rather start with something almost rust free but toasty from a dry climate than deal with the rust. I sold a early roller, stripped to bare metal so you could see what you were getting for the same price last year after weeks of listing and price drops. (ended up on Ebay)

Click to view attachment

The hell hole was fine and this was the worst jack point after sand blasting.

Click to view attachment

I figure if you are starting with something this rusty its a strip to bone and blast and replace everything that doesn't clean up like new.

john
mepstein
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Aug 30 2022, 10:28 PM) *

..,the floors are awesome. ..(&).. Show me the car you "would buy" and I will ask you for 8 grand.... And you will still have to rebuild the longs and the hell hole. And probably the frunk too.

The floor thing is BIG actually, and agree.gif pretty much any "project car's" gonna need work in those other areas. It's priced as a project car would be, though I agree too is a bit high, so someone will make a reasonable offer and get a descent project.

The floors are sandwiched between inside floor tar and outside undercoating. Until you remove all of that, it's impossible to know what condition the floors are in. I've seen dozens of cars at the shop that look great until stripped. Then they look like a different car and you have to make the call to the customer that they have tens of thousands in unexpected work.
That passenger long didn't rust independently of the rest of the car.

wonkipop
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 30 2022, 06:38 PM) *

Well here comes the contrarian. It's a serious project but I've seen much worse. I'm driving it now. biggrin.gif

I know how much time, blood, sweat, and tears it takes to put one of these hulks back

pray.gif to all contrarians. of 914 ilk or other.

356s just as farked have been readily tackled for years.
mind you they have always been worth enough to take on.

its possible 914s are thin enough on the ground now to justify. beerchug.gif

its a likeable car in terms of original color. silver with brown interior. nice and very unusual.
914e
There is something about the steel used in 914s. It is the only car I have stripped to bare metal that would get light rust if you wash it off with water in Arizona. It drys in seconds here. I have left quarter-panels bare metal for months here and never a hint of rust. 914s just give it a few minutes.
wonkipop
QUOTE(beech4rd @ Aug 30 2022, 09:19 AM) *

[
No-one's pointed out that the 914's steering wheel is in really good shape, that it has the black ignition key and the ornament attached to the key..... I vaguely remember what those were used for.

not an ornament - functional object? biggrin.gif
right at the end come the cans.
every aussie had one 2 generations ago. (when they were all still made of beer).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlnLMt9jljQ

Superhawk996
QUOTE(914e @ Aug 31 2022, 02:13 AM) *

There is something about the steel used in 914s. It is the only car I have stripped to bare metal that would get light rust if you wash it off with water in Arizona. It drys in seconds here. I have left quarter-panels bare metal for months here and never a hint of rust. 914s just give it a few minutes.

agree.gif

I’ve had the same experience even in the Midwest where the humidity is far higher.

Obviously I haven’t had a chemical composition run on 914 steel.

However, anyone that has ever owned both a set of cheap HF body dolly’s and a good set of professional Dolly’s will know, the HF tools rust very quickly too.

The difference is low quality steel vs. high quality steel with higher Molybdenum, and Chromium content. Both these trace elements affect the corrosion resistance of steel alloy. Same with trace of Nickel that is in steel. Stainless steel has very high nickel and chromium content which is what gives stainless the corrosion resistance we associate with stainless steel.

I’m not sure what the exact difference was with VW / 914 sheet metal but I’m sure it was lower % of these sorts of trace elements in the alloy vs. domestic sheet metal of the same era.
914e
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 31 2022, 06:32 AM) *

agree.gif

I’ve had the same experience even in the Midwest where the humidity is far higher.

However, anyone that has ever owned both a set of cheap HF body dolly’s and a good set of professional Dolly’s will know, the HF tools rust very quickly too.

The difference is low quality steel vs. high quality steel with higher Molybdenum, and Chromium content. Both these trace elements affect the corrosion resistance of steel alloy. Same with trace of Nickel that is in steel. Stainless steel has very high nickel and chromium content which is what gives stainless the corrosion resistance we associate with stainless steel.

I’m not sure what the exact difference was with VW / 914 sheet metal but I’m sure it was lower % of these sorts of trace elements in the alloy vs. domestic sheet metal of the same era.

I did not have the same problem on a VW of the same era. It was likely built in Mexico, so different steel.
Literati914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 30 2022, 11:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Aug 30 2022, 10:28 PM) *

The floors are sandwiched between inside floor tar and outside undercoating. Until you remove all of that, it's impossible to know what condition the floors are in. I've seen dozens of cars at the shop that look great until stripped. Then they look like a different car and you have to make the call to the customer that they have tens of thousands in unexpected work.
That passenger long didn't rust independently of the rest of the car.

We know well how the floors are made. Not recommended for someone who’d be considering sending the car to a shop like you’re at, for sure.. but rather a DIY’er with skills lookin to get into a 914 at this price point. I think everyone understands that at an $1800 (starting price) your vintage Porsche’s gonna need some work confused24.gif

beech4rd
QUOTE(914e @ Aug 31 2022, 10:10 AM) *

agree.gif

I did not have the same problem on a VW of the same era. It was likely built in Mexico, so different steel.

I think the finger of blame needs to be pointed at Karmann. I had several VW Sciroccos , also built by Karmann, that, if you didn't meticulously clean their undercarriages, would begin to rust a couple of years after purchase here in the Northeast. A friend of mine watched his BMW 30CS, also built by Karmann, get eaten alive by the tin worm. That was an expensive car. Run-of -the-mill, German built, Mark 1 VW Golfs (Rabbits) and BMW Bavarias lasted much longer.
wonkipop
QUOTE(beech4rd @ Aug 31 2022, 08:43 AM) *

QUOTE(914e @ Aug 31 2022, 10:10 AM) *

agree.gif

I think the finger of blame needs to be pointed at Karmann. I had several VW Sciroccos , also built by Karmann, that, if you didn't meticulously clean their undercarriages, would begin to rust a couple of years after purchase here in the Northeast. A friend of mine watched his BMW 30CS, also built by Karmann, get eaten alive by the tin worm. That was an expensive car. Run-of -the-mill, German built, Mark 1 VW Golfs (Rabbits) and BMW Bavarias lasted much longer.

agree.gif

you are right on the money mate.

ordinary VWs never rusted too quick down here in aus.
in fact the local manufactured ones in the 60s are the hardiest of all.
they were made from aussie steel. BHP. back then australia used to make some of the purest steel in the world. we were heavily involved in cross trade with the japanese who also made some of the best steel in the world. US steel was pretty darned good and we and the japanese managed to get just one tiny notch above that.

all gone now.

as to the karmann ghias, they rusted real quick down here.
crappy steel. source? not sure. but rumoured to be russia or eastern europe iron curtain countries. possibly the big steel works in the ukraine that has recently had the living hell bombed out of it by the russians. that was a major source of steel outside of the USA, Aus and Japan.

bbrock
This is all interesting but a moot point for me. My car is 82.37% Restoration Design galvaneal at this point av-943.gif

A point in favor of buying this hulk and fixing her up? welder.gif hide.gif
moparrob
In California we would call that one 'yard art'.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 31 2022, 08:39 PM) *

This is all interesting but a moot point for me. My car is 82.37% Restoration Design galvaneal at this point av-943.gif

I hope I live to see the day when you can build a whole 914 out of Galvaneal.

I have noticed that OEM metal adjacent to Galvaneal doesn’t flash rust. I think the Zinc in the Galvaneal acts like a zinc anode to a limited degree. laugh.gif

Somewhere out there you know RD is rooting for someone to buy this car to help fund the Christmas party happy11.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 31 2022, 06:39 PM) *

with a sacrificial anode that big whats left of the russian steel should be pretty safe. beer.gif
930cabman
Northeast US = Harsh environment for everything, steel auto's included

maybe someone can come up with a stainless steel version stirthepot.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 1 2022, 06:45 AM) *

maybe someone can come up with a stainless steel version stirthepot.gif

Porsche built a couple stainless steel 911’s

Superhawk996
Really? Who knew? I never heard that.

But, It just doesn’t work for me - looks like DeLorean mated with a Beetle. Or maybe worse, a chrome wrap job?

And I say that as one that likes the 911/912 appearance in color.
930cabman
Is the fine example per the OP still available, I can barely contain myself
Archie
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 29 2022, 04:33 PM) *

hey @emerygt350

there is something half interesting hiding behind the 914 in the barn.
can't quite work out what it might be but i am guessing its a little 1960s FIAT maybe.
not sure.

EDIT
99% sure its a morris 1100. thats a weird car to be sitting around in the USA.
there were stacks of those in aus in my childhood. why i knew it was something half familiar. its missing its grill. front wheel drive - similar mechanicals to the mini.
handles like a mini. wheels at the four corners. alec issigonis design.
probably right hand drive?

Yeah. My Dad had the Austin-badged equivalent in the UK. '65 iirc.
Archie
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 1 2022, 05:35 AM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 1 2022, 06:45 AM) *

maybe someone can come up with a stainless steel version :stir:

Porsche built a couple stainless steel 911’s

Well I never!!
mepstein
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 1 2022, 10:47 AM) *

Really? Who knew? I never heard that.

But, It just doesn’t work for me - looks like DeLorean mated with a Beetle. Or maybe worse, a chrome wrap job?

And I say that as one that likes the 911/912 appearance in color.

I agree, not a particularly flattering shot. But just think, if you painted it, it would look like any other early Porsche but you could expose it to weather without loosing a small piece of your soul. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.