Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Barn 1971 914 going to look at it
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
emerygt350
No pic of the longs or hell hole but I am putting my eyes on it. Don't really think I am going to rebuild it but if I pull the trigger I am definitely going to clean it up and try to get it moving again. 1982 was apparently when it was parked. The carbs and tires make me think that's about right. The dual webers look ... Interesting.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
emerygt350
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
emerygt350
I love how the djet stuff appears to be spread across every part of the car. Nice.
mepstein
Really rusty car. Good luck.
iankarr
Careful bringing it inside. Looks like lots of mouse houses.
Superhawk996
Roached.

Good project for @bbrock now that his project is on the road! He’s in need of a platform for an electric conversion. Best to only do that to a vehicle that is otherwise a scrap candidate. happy11.gif

Someone should save it.

Plus if Brent takes it on, he can rehabilitate the mice, weasels, raccoons or whatever else has been living in it that will soon find themselves homeless.
emerygt350
I really want to see the rust. Much of it looks superficial. Looks.
Front yard mechanic
You can’t go wrong it has an original frisbee and the checkbook on the dash
bbrock
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 28 2022, 07:24 PM) *

Roached.

Good project for @bbrock now that his project is on the road! He’s in need of a platform for an electric conversion. Best to only do that to a vehicle that is otherwise a scrap candidate. happy11.gif

Nope. I'm only interested in fix-er-ups. This one's too nice smile.gif

Those carbs are interesting. Bellcrank linkage too. Will be curious to see money shots of the longs and hell hole. Agree the car looks a mess but I'm not seeing any deal killers yet.
mepstein
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Aug 28 2022, 09:40 PM) *

I really want to see the rust. Much of it looks superficial. Looks.

Here’s how I know this is a very rusty car. The lower part of the car will rust first. If you see a lot of rust on the cowl, it’s a rust bucket. I don’t blame you if you don’t believe me but you will figure it out one way or another. But like I said, good luck and enjoy the process. beerchug.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Aug 28 2022, 07:49 PM) *

You can’t go wrong it has an original frisbee and the checkbook on the dash

genuine original condition low flight hours frisbee. worth a fortune.
emerygt350
Since it (apparently) sat for 40 years in a garage I am hoping the rust above won't be indicative of disaster below. However, those rockers don't give me much confidence. I will take pictures. I am going to look at it tomorrow.
930cabman

Roached.

Someone should save it.

Plus if Brent takes it on, he can rehabilitate the mice, weasels, raccoons or whatever else has been living in it that will soon find themselves homeless.

Good one
Lilchopshop
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Aug 29 2022, 06:52 AM) *

Since it (apparently) sat for 40 years in a garage I am hoping the rust above won't be indicative of disaster below. However, those rockers don't give me much confidence. I will take pictures. I am going to look at it tomorrow.

Where in NY is this? I am in upstate NY too if you want a second set of eyes.
seanpaulmc
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 28 2022, 10:16 PM) *

Roached.

Nope. I'm only interested in fix-er-ups. This one's too nice smile.gif

Those carbs are interesting. Bellcrank linkage too. Will be curious to see money shots of the longs and hell hole. Agree the car looks a mess but I'm not seeing any deal killers yet.

@bbrock

Then I think I found your electric resto candidate...

Click to view attachment

930cabman
QUOTE(Lilchopshop @ Aug 29 2022, 06:09 AM) *

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Aug 29 2022, 06:52 AM) *

Where in NY is this? I am in upstate NY too if you want a second set of eyes.

Me too, I am available for a 3rd set of eyes if not too far from Buffalo. GLWP

great responses btw, my favorite is the checkbook on the dash
emerygt350
The car is up by Syracuse, Memphis NY.

I am going to try and arrive there at 1030 am tomorrow. If you guys want to join in on the fun I can PM you the address. I will be driving the Chalon.
930cabman
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Aug 29 2022, 07:41 AM) *

I am going to try and arrive there at 1030 am tomorrow. If you guys want to join in on the fun I can PM you the address. I will be driving the Chalon.

I believe the same seller had another gem earlier this year, finally sold for 600 I think. It had the Gurney wheels, but similar condition. Maybe he has more
FlacaProductions
The plastic PORSCHE script rockers are a red flag to me - tells me they've already "been in there"....but yeah - interested to see how this progresses.
emerygt350
QUOTE(930cabman @ Aug 29 2022, 08:58 AM) *

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Aug 29 2022, 07:41 AM) *

I believe the same seller had another gem earlier this year, finally sold for 600 I think. It had the Gurney wheels, but similar condition. Maybe he has more

Yes, he mentioned that. Said it was ready to fold in half it was so bad in the rust department.
ctc911ctc
What struck me immediately is that the car has all of the stuff.

The dash is not cracked - how can that be?

I see many indications of a dabbler - not a bad thing but the frisbee and the HowTo book together is curious........looking for a bong emoji..........

All of the original stuff seems to be there - above the MasonDixon you will get rust, Passenger side Longs are where your costs will be focused. If the doors do not open, then there will be a great deal of UNIBODY repair work in your future.

Personally, I like it

Originality - 9
Rust - 4-5
Mechanical - 7 (it rolled and seemed somewhat straight
Color - 6 looks original - color changes are something you live with forever.
914sgofast2
Sorry, but make certain your tetanus vaccinations are up to date. Hope you like welding.
bbrock
QUOTE(seanpaulmc @ Aug 29 2022, 06:09 AM) *

@bbrock

Then I think I found your electric resto candidate...

Click to view attachment

Ha ha. At least we can see the longs on that one, and it doesn't look half bad. Better than what my car's looked like just a few years ago. av-943.gif

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Aug 29 2022, 09:59 AM) *

The plastic PORSCHE script rockers are a red flag to me - tells me they've already "been in there"....but yeah - interested to see how this progresses.

agree.gif The plastic rocker covers killed about any optimism I have for the car, but until we get to peek under the skirt... popcorn[1].gif
wonkipop
sadly, its got one of the best panel fits across the headlights, front trunk lid i have seen on a 914!!! heinrich and horst must have been sober.

a lot of parts there. beerchug.gif perfect dashboard.
perfect shift knob. thats worth mega $ alone. seems to be a v g condition brown interior - superb beerchug.gif
check out the aircleaner in the trunk. factory fresh decal!!!!!!

shame about the rust. get a desert body shell and transfer all the good stuff across?

yellow number plates are cool.
emerygt350
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 29 2022, 04:49 PM) *

sadly, its got one of the best panel fits across the headlights, front trunk lid i have seen on a 914!!! heinrich and horst must have been sober.

perfect shift knob. thats worth mega $ alone. seems to be a v g condition brown interior - superb beerchug.gif

shame about the rust. get a desert body shell and transfer all the good stuff across?

I didn't notice the dash. That kind of supports the barn housing all those years. I will make sure to get the vin too. Probably going to have to drive the mustang tomorrow... Looks like rain all day.
wonkipop
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Aug 29 2022, 05:10 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 29 2022, 04:49 PM) *

I didn't notice the dash. That kind of supports the barn housing all those years. I will make sure to get the vin too. Probably going to have to drive the mustang tomorrow... Looks like rain all day.

what a "shame" being "forced" to drive the mustang. beer.gif

yeah the interior in the barnfind looks like it might be good under the grime - maybe.
thats smoothish brown vinyl on the seats too, not the basket weave stuff that is on my later 74. pretty nice. car is probably worth it for the interior if the critters haven't chewed it.

i noticed a couple of horn grilles in the front trunk too. look to be in perfect condition.
not to mention lenses on the car. there is actually a whole bunch of stuff if you added it up comes to serious $.
wonkipop
hey @emerygt350

there is something half interesting hiding behind the 914 in the barn.
can't quite work out what it might be but i am guessing its a little 1960s FIAT maybe.
not sure.

EDIT
99% sure its a morris 1100. thats a weird car to be sitting around in the USA.
there were stacks of those in aus in my childhood. why i knew it was something half familiar. its missing its grill. front wheel drive - similar mechanicals to the mini.
handles like a mini. wheels at the four corners. alec issigonis design.
probably right hand drive?
emerygt350
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 29 2022, 05:33 PM) *

hey @emerygt350

can't quite work out what it might be but i am guessing its a little 1960s FIAT maybe.
not sure.

EDIT
there were stacks of those in aus in my childhood. why i knew it was something half familiar. its missing its grill. front wheel drive - similar mechanicals to the mini.

I saw that too. I can ask him about it. I think the car is away from the farm now so I probably won't be able to check that out.
rgalla9146

Someone with a '71 914 6 would love to have that brown interior.
It might be the best part of the car.
Pretty unusual color combo on a no-appearance group early car
beech4rd
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 29 2022, 07:33 PM) *

hey @emerygt350

not sure.

EDIT

I agree, it's an Austin/Morris 1100. I think they were marketed as Austin Americans in the US, and most came with automatics. They had a fluid based suspension system, like Citroens. I can't imagine they were very good at dealing with US highways.
No-one's pointed out that the 914's steering wheel is in really good shape, that it has the black ignition key and the ornament attached to the key..... I vaguely remember what those were used for.
emerygt350
Yep, was an austin american. The guy got outbid on that one.

So... the longs are bad at the jack point. The rest of the car is really nice. Floors/firewall/frunk/trunk/quarters/sails all look really really good. The doors have some break through, and there are two spots below the sails (like really below, not part of the sail) that need help. Almost all of the other spots are just patina/surface rust.
I have some pictures and a video. The interior is very nice. One little tear on the drivers seat head rest. The key in the ignition looks amazing. 80k on the odometer. This thing is super strong, just that damn long. Hell hole looks terrible but the frame rail is solid. The only holes probably have saved it, near where the fuel pump mounts (not sure if it is there on a 71), and the superficial tin part (you can see it in the picture). The carbs and mainifolds are really neat. This would be a very clean looking setup. Carbs look fine. The chokes were closed. Choke butterflies are crusty but I cracked one open and the interior looks great. Needless to say, I am not interested in doing long repairs so it is up for grabs. Anyone wants Lenny's phone number, let me know. 2 others are already coming to look at it.

Putting the pictures in the next post.

That spot on the inside passenger sail behind the engine grill looks nasty in the picture but its just cruft and surface rust. I wiped it away later.
emerygt350
Here you go. We think the guy bought it maybe in 1981, put it in the barn and left it. He passed a while ago and his wife just went to a home or something. The family had no idea it was even in there. Buried under wood apparently.
emerygt350
emerygt350
Here is the video

https://youtu.be/-QaZvrJK3w0

Vin is 4712904114
build date is 10/70
block is W0055051
emerygt350
It looks like it was given up on mid-project. The heat exchangers and the blower motor are gone but the old heater hoses are still laying around in the engine compartment.
930cabman
Did you buy it? Might need a bit more than a buff, but most of us have been there
emerygt350
No, I just don't have the time for a project right now. If anyone is interested, I have the phone number. I believe he wants 1800, has the title.
mepstein
Like I said, it’s a very rusty car.
Under $500 and I’m a buyer.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Aug 30 2022, 02:09 PM) *

I believe he wants 1800, has the title.

yikes.gif out of his mind screwy.gif
emerygt350
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 30 2022, 01:30 PM) *

Really? I don't think it is nearly as bad as 3/4 of what I see on here. Longs by the jack point, the rest is superficial. Well, except those little spots.
Jamie
QUOTE(beech4rd @ Aug 30 2022, 07:19 AM) *

hey @emerygt350

not sure.

EDIT

I agree, it's an Austin/Morris 1100. I think they were marketed as Austin Americans in the US, and most came with automatics. They had a fluid based suspension system, like Citroens. I can't imagine they were very good at dealing with US highways.
No-one's pointed out that the 914's steering wheel is in really good shape, that it has the black ignition key and the ornament attached to the key..... I vaguely remember what those were used for.

I bought an Austin America like that for my wife to be in 1968, was a good basic car for her while I was in Vietnam for a year 1968~69. We drove it for about 5 yrs before trading it. It had the same engine as my Bugeye Sprite so maintenance was no problem, and the suspension and auto transmission worked fine for as long as we owned it.
mepstein
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Aug 30 2022, 04:06 PM) *

Really? I don't think it is nearly as bad as 3/4 of what I see on here. Longs by the jack point, the rest is superficial. Well, except those little spots.

Superficial - LOL!. If I had a dollar for every "superficial" rust spot that was really a thousand dollar fix. ...

The metal on a 914 is thin enough that when it's brown, there's not any solid metal beneath it. Many times the metal is rusting from the inside out. This is a much bigger project than you realize.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Aug 30 2022, 03:06 PM) *

OMG - that car is Rooooached! $1800 is whacko!

Longs / hellhole - that is easily $1000 in sheet metal and Hundred (plural) of hours of labor right there. Don’t forget new door jamb sheet metal - adds another couple hundred for metal.

That rust on the cowl and under the windshield trim is almost always rot through once you pull the trim.

Mark is 100% correct - these cars rust from the inside out. It’s almost always 10x worse then what you can see. He’s also correct that Porsche sheet metal IS NOT like old American Iron sheet metal that can have surface rust and still be very solid. Most 914 metal is 0.037” thick. That is why these cars are so light vs 1970s American cars. Doesn’t take but 0.018” of “surface rust” and that area is done. You should have been poking metal with an pick / awl not a stick. A stick and taping on it tells you nothing. Not criticizing you - the video shows what it is. I think it’s cool you went to look and that you shared the video. I honestly would like to see it saved. But it takes a certain kind of crazy to save a car like that and a level of insanity to pay $1800 for the privilege of going down that rabbit hole.

I’ll leave the rest of it alone. The long / hell hole alone make it a solid candidate for scrap unless someone has solid skills and want a SERIOUS project and is mildly deranged. I’ll put myself in that category given that I purchased my car as a known project that would need the passenger long replaced. Even knowing that, my car still took more sheet metal than I originally thought it would.
emerygt350
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 30 2022, 02:37 PM) *

Longs / hellhole - that is easily $1000 in sheet metal and Hundred (plural) of hours of labor right there. Don’t forget new door jamb sheet metal - adds another couple hundred for metal.

That rust on the cowl and under the windshield trim is almost always rot through once you pull the trim.

Mark is 100% correct - these cars rust from the inside out. It’s almost always 10x worse then what you can see. He’s also correct that Porsche sheet metal IS NOT like old American Iron sheet metal that can have surface rust and still be very solid. Most 914 metal is 0.037” thick. That is why these cars are so light vs 1970s American cars. Doesn’t take but 0.018” of “surface rust” and that area is done. You should have been poking metal with an pick / awl not a stick. A stick and taping on it tells you nothing. Not criticizing you - the video shows what it is. I think it’s cool you went to look and that you shared the video. I honestly would like to see it saved. But it takes a certain kind of crazy to save a car like that and a level of insanity to pay $1800 for the privilege of going down that rabbit hole.

I’ll leave the rest of it alone. The long / hell hole alone make it a solid candidate for scrap unless someone has solid skills and want a SERIOUS project and is mildly deranged. I’ll put myself in that category given that I purchased my car as a known project that would need the passenger long replaced. Even knowing that, my car still took more sheet metal than I originally thought it would.

Wow, I thought I was the first guy to look at it in person. Silly me, what do I know.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Aug 30 2022, 04:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 30 2022, 02:37 PM) *

Wow, I thought I was the first guy to look at it in person. Silly me, what do I know.

No offense intended toward you @emerygt350

Just saying it’s not an $1800 car as someone that has done the work that car would need.
wonkipop
QUOTE(beech4rd @ Aug 30 2022, 09:19 AM) *

hey @emerygt350

not sure.

EDIT

interesting to know @beech4rd

as to suspension, believe it or not its superb. why they sold so many in aus and nz.
copes with very rough terrain and roads. australian roads back then made the most ruinous US freeway look like a billiard table. citroen had a similar rep down here with their ability to take on the worst kind of roads.

very tough little motor cars. i still saw them in use as daily drivers into the 90s.
beat up and faded. now all gone. just occassionally to be seen at enthusiast car shows.
an old girl friend of mine the bigger austin 1800 version. i didn't mind driving it.
unbelievable good handling. gutless engine.

my childhood is memories of sitting in the front seat of my fathers holden as we came up behind morris 1100s and austin 1800s with their big sticker in the back window.

Click to view attachment
wonkipop
@emerygt350 .

i'm with @Superhawk996 and @mepstein on that poor old thing.
its farked.
and it was farked when it was parked in early 80s.

but........ its full of v g c parts by the looks of it.

i suppose its value depends on the cumulative value of the useable parts and whether its of interest to someone with a sunbaked car they are restoring.

----

on top of being thin steel in a 914 its also poor quality. karmann ghias suffered the same affliction. i'm not sure of the story but it is unusually poor quality steel that karmann were sourcing and using at that time which contributes to the rust problems.
karmann ghias were always joked about in australia as being soviet steel. they rusted even down here.
Puebloswatcop
Hey, maybe I can con the owner out of the frizbee in the seat lol-2.gif
bbrock
Well here comes the contrarian. It's a serious project but I've seen much worse. I'm driving it now. biggrin.gif

I know how much time, blood, sweat, and tears it takes to put one of these hulks back together and how much treasure you will spend in the process. That is NOT a scrap car. $1,800 is a bit too rich, but as a starting place for negotiation, I don't think it is crazy. I think somewhere closer to $1,200 is getting more reasonable. The right DIY guy can bring that car back with $20K invested and a LOT of time (although much less than I spent on mine) and probably get a $30K car out of it. The key as always with these projects is that you can't expect to recoup the value of hour time. These projects are done as a hobby for the challenge and satisfaction of doing what people tell you can't be done. It is not the cheapest or easiest way to get a nice 914, but it can be very rewarding.

I'll bet if I had started with this car rather than the one I have, I could have shaved a year or more off the build, and I still think I wound up in the black not counting my time. I say "think" because I haven't actually sold the car yet. Earlier this year a guy randomly stopped me and asked if I'd consider selling. I said everybody has a price and I shot him the ridiculously number of $60K. He looked at the car, said he didn't think that was out of line, and handed my his card asking me to call when I'm ready to sell. That's a long way from selling a car, but gives me some confidence I could get the $25K I put into the car and maybe a bit more. Doesn't seem bad for a car that many said should be scrapped.
emerygt350
Yeah, I don't mean to be abrasive but this isn't my first circus. Watch the video. Most of that stuff is surface, yes surface, almost patina, and it was from sitting in a barn getting shit on. Not driving and abuse. The longs are bad by the jack points, the floors are awesome. I was there, I know. I would be tempted to shine it up and sand blast the bits so it looks nice and flip it for 4k but I don't have that kind of energy or time at the moment. The car is nice. I think it is worth what he is asking, that's me. I had my fingers I the hell hole dirt. It's good and solid. Concourse? God no, but your buying a 914 that had a million generations of mice living in it. Show me the car you "would buy" and I will ask you for 8 grand.... And you will still have to rebuild the longs and the hell hole. And probably the frunk too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.