Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: swap rims 15" to 16"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
-=rafal=-
Hi, I've been browsing the forum and similar topics have been described several times, but nowhere did I know what interests me. I have a few questions because more knowledge than me. What offset are the original Porsche 914 alloy wheels in a narrow body style? I was looking at ebay auctions, on forums, on facebook and they all only give the size and width (15x5.5), the PET porsche also doesn't have any offset. I bought a porsche 914 which has no original rims. I checked the parameters and there is information 15x5.5 but there is no offset anywhere on the rim. I would like to change the rims. I would like to change the rims (currently 15x5.5 tire 185x65x15) to 16x6.5 or 16x7 with a 195x50x16 or 195x55x16 tire and if anyone can tell me exactly what offset I need in 16-inch rims so that the tire does not rub against the fenders at the back and with front when turning the wheels. Verified information would be the most important to me. My rims in the picture. Thank you very much for all your help and please be understanding if there are any spelling mistakes. Greetings from Poland beerchug.gif
Racer
The 5.5 inch wheel has a 42mm offset.

Porsche 6x15 5 bolt Fuchs have a 36mm offset

Porsche 7x15 5 bolt Fuchs have a 23.3 mm offset.

The ultrarare 7x15 911r wheel has a 49mm offset.

There are threads galore about "will this wheel / tire combo fit" , so please read through them.

For 4 bolt wheels, your options may be more limited than the 5 bolt wheels and be mindful that "VW" wheels are often either narrower, or have a different offset.

When going larger than 6 inch wide, ride height, camber, spring rate, rolled fender lips and tire size all come into play.

Imho, the best find widest used wheel that fits easiest is the 6.5x15 minilite with a 205/50 tire.

If you swap to Porsche 5 bolt wheels, the 6x15 is the easiest to fit. The rear of these cars is where fitment gets harder than the front, unless you add flares.
mepstein
QUOTE(Racer @ Sep 5 2022, 09:56 AM) *

There are threads galore about "will this wheel / tire combo fit" , so please read through them.

For 4 bolt wheels, your options may be more limited than the 5 bolt wheels and be mindful that "VW" wheels are often either narrower, or have a different offset.

When going larger than 6 inch wide, ride height, camber, spring rate, rolled fender lips and tire size all come into play.

Imho, the best find widest used wheel that fits easiest is the 6.5x15 minilite with a 205/50 tire.

If you swap to Porsche 5 bolt wheels, the 6x15 is the easiest to fit. The rear of these cars is where fitment gets harder than the front, unless you add flares.

agree.gif Very good info. 6” cookies also fit well if you are looking for a good budget wheel.
JamesM
I assume you are talking about a 4 bolt, narrow body car?

If you want to run 16x7 you will want an ET35 offset, most cars will be able to fit up to 205s with that depending on the tire.

I know a few people running these, including myself.
https://www.vtowheels.com/1969-1976_c_1706.html

QUOTE(-=rafal=- @ Sep 5 2022, 03:14 AM) *

Hi, I've been browsing the forum and similar topics have been described several times, but nowhere did I know what interests me. I have a few questions because more knowledge than me. What oats are the original Porsche 914 alloy wheels in a narrow body style? I was looking at ebay auctions, on forums, on facebook and they all only give the size and width (15x5.5), the PET porsche also doesn't have any oats. I bought a porsche 914 which has no original rims. I checked the parameters and there is information 15x5.5 but there is no offset anywhere on the rim. I would like to change the rims. I would like to change the rims (currently 15x5.5 tire 185x65x15) to 16x6.5 or 16x7 with a 195x50x16 or 195x55x16 tire and if anyone can tell me exactly what offset I need in 16-inch rims so that the tire does not rub against the fenders at the back and with front when turning the wheels. Verified information would be the most important to me. My rims in the picture. Thank you very much for all your help and please be understanding if there are any spelling mistakes. Greetings from Poland beerchug.gif
-=rafal=-
QUOTE(Racer @ Sep 5 2022, 03:56 PM) *

Thank you for the information - they are very helpful. I do not want to change the rims to other original ones that were factory-fitted, and I will not change four bolts to five bolts. I want to make custom rims on a CNC machine - this will be my pattern and that's why I need parameters. I noticed that in the USA people choose wheels according to the width of the rim and the width of the tire, and in Europe, people choose the wheels according to the width of the rim and the offset, and finally they choose the tire so that it fits and does not rub against the body. That's why I had a problem with finding a topic that interests me on the forum. Do you know exactly what parameters of 16-inch rims must be (width, offset) so that there is no problem? I want a narrower tire, i.e. 185x55x16 or 195x50x16. I was planning to build myself 6.5 inch wide 16 "rims, but I don't know what offset. Thank you for your help
-=rafal=-
QUOTE(JamesM @ Sep 6 2022, 08:47 AM) *

If you want to run 16x7 you will want an ET35 offset, most cars will be able to fit up to 205s with that depending on the tire.

Great, thank you for the information. So if I have a 16x6.5 ET35 rim and mount a tire, for example 185x55x16 or 195x55x16, should everything be perfect?
JamesM
QUOTE(-=rafal=- @ Sep 6 2022, 12:13 AM) *

QUOTE(JamesM @ Sep 6 2022, 08:47 AM) *

Great, thank you for the information. So if I have a 16x6.5 ET35 rim and mount a tire, for example 185x55x16 or 195x55x16, should everything be perfect?

I have never seen anything that fits perfect on these cars as they were hand built and all have some level of variance, but a 16x6.5 ET35 running a 185 or 195 width tire you should be ok.
brant
The offsets of a 7R wheel would be the perfect choice
It’s how the factory did it when they wanted to fit a 7 inch wide rim for racing
-=rafal=-
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 6 2022, 11:40 PM) *

The offsets of a 7R wheel would be the perfect choice
It’s how the factory did it when they wanted to fit a 7 inch wide rim for racing

Thank you for your answer, I do not understand what 7R means, I have not encountered such an offset. can you explain to me? thank you.
brant
7R is the name of a model of Fuchs wheel
It was the factory race wheel
Thus the R

I believe the 914 fenders were designed around the 14 inch Fuchs
As that was the original wheel on the -6

The offset of a 14 inch Fuchs is only a couple of mm away from a 7R wheel

Either of those wheels would be the correct range to copy

Can someone post the Fuchs offset chart?
I don’t have it
But it shows the offset for all of the different Fuchs
914werke
Click to view attachment
brant
Thanks Rich !

and the 14inch fuchs is not on the chart.
but my memory is that it is 47mm offset... or very very close to the 7R wheel

I bought a set of 14inch fuchs from a member here that were original to his 914/6
he had 215 tires on those wheels under stock fenders... due to the correct offset

thus it is my belief that the factory designed the fenders around that offset and that wheel (the original wheel on these cars)

brant

-=rafal=-
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 7 2022, 02:57 PM) *

7R is the name of a model of Fuchs wheel
It was the factory race wheel
Thus the R

I believe the 914 fenders were designed around the 14 inch Fuchs
As that was the original wheel on the -6

The offset of a 14 inch Fuchs is only a couple of mm away from a 7R wheel

Either of those wheels would be the correct range to copy

Can someone post the Fuchs offset chart?
I don’t have it
But it shows the offset for all of the different Fuchs

thank you for explaining
-=rafal=-
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 7 2022, 06:16 PM) *

Thanks Rich !

I bought a set of 14inch fuchs from a member here that were original to his 914/6
he had 215 tires on those wheels under stock fenders... due to the correct offset

thus it is my belief that the factory designed the fenders around that offset and that wheel (the original wheel on these cars)

brant

In conclusion, if I have a 16x6.5 ET35 rim and mount a tire, for example, 185x55x16 or 195x55x16, everything should be perfect?
brant
QUOTE(-=rafal=- @ Sep 8 2022, 01:55 AM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 7 2022, 06:16 PM) *

Thanks Rich !

brant

In conclusion, if I have a 16x6.5 ET35 rim and mount a tire, for example, 185x55x16 or 195x55x16, everything should be perfect?

Probably

A 6 inch rim for sure

But using the 47 offset would work better and guarantee the 6.5 inch (or even 7 inch) would fit
-=rafal=-
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 8 2022, 03:00 PM) *

Probably

A 6 inch rim for sure

But using the 47 offset would work better and guarantee the 6.5 inch (or even 7 inch) would fit

thank you so much for your help
JamesM
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 7 2022, 08:16 AM) *

Thanks Rich !

brant

Im running 16x7 ET35 with 215s and they are just barely rubbing the paint off my strut covers in the front and inner chassis at the rear (this is with autox tire flexing). would be full interference at 47mm, at least with a 7" wide wheel
SKL1
I have the 16" front Fuchs from a G body 911 (SC) with 205//50/16's front and rear on both my cars with no rubbing issues. Have run them for years...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.